Day 6 Training Camp Tweets & PC's - PADS FINALLY!!! | Page 46 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Day 6 Training Camp Tweets & PC's - PADS FINALLY!!!

I get a HUGE kick of of folks trying to pull ratings out of their hind-parts... without citing the source (I mean, it's usually PFF but HAHAHAHAHAHA... ahem...).

Or some of the new ANAL-ytic stuff... (This tackle's arms were a half inch too high, therefore he sucks... I mean, he only gave up one sack all year, but that doesn't matter. Look at my formula that I just made up.)

This is a passing era. Did the line give up sacks? Period. End of discussion. If not, it did whatever job it was asked to do.

Or the sorry excuse of... well, our line was bad so we had to change our offense to include more quick passes... (you mean, like the other 15 teams below us did as well?)

Did we give up sacks? Start there... and pretty much END there. That's the key in this era.
It's true. PFF is a joke. Be that as it may, just how long did Fitz generally hold onto the ball? How often was he, or Tua pressured? There are certainly other metrics to rate the efficiency of the O-line, and you gotta face facts-- the Phins O-line was not good last season. Will they be better this season? I would assume. But seriously, you can't judge an O-line just on sacks? Do you think the Dolphins had a better O-line than the Patriots*, or the 49ers, or the Seahawks? If you do, you'd be pretty much alone in that opinion, even though those teams all gave up more sacks than the Dolphins

But, honestly, I think it's pretty impressive the Phins had a 10-6 season with a crappy O-line.

I've said it on other forums-- the AFCE is going to be one of the most competitive divisions in the league.

Last edited:
It's true. PFF is a joke. Be that as it may, just how long did Fitz generally hold onto the ball? How often was he, or Tua pressured? There are certainly other metrics to rate the efficiency of the O-line, and you gotta face facts-- the Phins O-line was not good last season. Will they be better this season? I would assume. But seriously, you can't judge an O-line just on sacks? Do you think the Dolphins had a better O-line than the Patriots*, or the 49ers, or the Seahawks? If you do, you'd be pretty much alone in that opinion, even though those teams all gave up more sacks than the Dolphins

But, honestly, I think it's pretty impressive the Phins had a 10-6 season with a crappy O-line.

I've said it on other forums-- the AFCE is going to be one of the most competitive divisions in the league.
First off... dont put words in my mouth, I NEVER said they were good.

The best I have said was that they weren't awful... that they 'survived' their youth and their injuries... and that they didn't suck.

...and that they should be better this year.

Dont get caught up in Kam's semantic games, straw men, and hyperbole.

First off... dont put words in my mouth, I NEVER said they were good.

The best I have said was that they weren't awful... that they 'survived' their youth and their injuries... and that they didn't suck.

...and that they should be better this year.

Dont get caught up in Kam's semantic games, straw men, and hyperbole.
My apologies. I really should have directed most of that post to Kamelian. I think I basically agree with you regarding your O-line. Although, I wonder where you would rank them in the AFCE going into the season?

My apologies. I really should have directed most of that post to Kamelian. I think I basically agree with you regarding your O-line. Although, I wonder where you would rank them in the AFCE going into the season?
Heh!

Bottom half for now.

But they are so young, they could easily take several steps forward!

Grier cannot be defended for his evaluation or ability to bring in OL talent. You can talk all you want about past regimes, but for 15+ years the only good OL we have had were drafted in the first round - Jake Long, Vernon Carey, Jawuan James. Thats it. We haven't had another good OL on this team from the draft the entire time Grier has been here. That is mind-blowing if you think about how many 2nd/3rd/4th/5th picks we've invested to not get ONE player. We had a couple guys like Billy Turner who became decent once they left, but we had soooooo many misses in the 3rd-5th primarily.

I would like to think, regardless of how you feel about Grier overall (I'm somewhere in the middle), we can all agree his ability to evaluate and acquire OL talent through the draft (or at all) is bottom 5 level. His biggest weakness by far and it's not close.

It's also why I find it encouraging we brought in McKenzie and Allen as they are seemingly better evaluators (at least in this area) and I think our OL investment last year showed more promise than most anything Grier has ever drafted on his own.

Grier sucks at OL evaluation. Let's hope we've finally gotten it right.
How you ignored Tunsil is beyond me. This team is presently being built with the draft picks from the Tunsil trade. Yet you listed Carey and James and didn’t mention Tunsil. Even though neither Carey or James were ever close to Tunsil in talent.

Last edited:
😩 I was screaming for Taylor last draft. Iggy might turn out to be good 3 yrs from now but was the pick worth it in the first round. We can evaluate better once we’re done with preseason
No the pick was not worth it in the first round. I am surprised by how many posters keep saying that Iggy will develop in the next few years and therefore was worth the risk of taking him in the first round.

I completely disagree because I want the Dolphins to draft players in the first round who can come in and contribute immediately. You use the middle and late rounds to draft players you hope will develop in the next few years, not first round draft picks, IMO.

How you ignored Tunsil is beyond me. This team is presently being built with the draft picks from the Tunsil trade. Yet you listed Carey and James and didn’t mention Tunsil. Even though neither Carey or James were ever close to Tunsil in talent.
Accident to be honest - my point was our inability to get anyone outside of the first… so Tunsil was another good OL we had but also 1st round.

Hopefully we get some good pieces from this and last years OL picks but it’s absolutely mind blowing when you go back 15 years and cannot name ONE SINGLE LINEMAN outside of the 1st round that was above average. It’s sad.

Back
Top Bottom