Defensive side of the ball something to get excited about... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive side of the ball something to get excited about...

Coral Reefer

Help save our Reefs ~ www.ReefCheck.org
Reaction score
With all the controversy surrounding the offensive side of the ball it's absolutely fantastic to be able to read this article. The effect of Junior Seau on our defense may be even larger than many of us expected. It sounds like the Defensive coaches are willing to let Seau's abilities change their philosophy a little. That seems to have the players on the D excited about the potential as well as many of us fans who would like to see the defense being more aggresive especially late in games. The quote from Zach that they want to be more dominating than the Ravens Defense from their super bowl year really gave me a smile from ear to ear! Hopefully the defensive coaches follow through and let the Defense off the leash I believe they've had it on.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...un06,0,5754931.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Go Seau!

i think this off season we got even nastier on d with seau and knight and t- buck we should put the fear in some people this yr turn this d loose and punish opposing teams.

Great article!! I can't wait to see our D on the field. We can talk offense all we want, Griese, Toliver, OG, Mc Knight, whatever. Our D is Going to carry us this year. We will dominate games with Defense! Be Afraid Be Very Afraid, I can't wait!!!!

I am hoping that the D becomes more aggressive and changes its looks occasionally.

Also, please don't let me ever again see our third DB covering a WR like Moss:(

Originally posted by zachseau13

You will probably still see it this year. All the offense has to do is bunch 3 WR on one side. The easiest way to counter this potential pick play is to take the WR that crosses into the DB's path. All a WR like Moss would have to do is crisscross toward the third or fourth DB. Sometimes all you can do is get the double team on the best WR.

Seau is just another linebacker Travis Henry ran all over last year. By the way, does Zach Thomas still have Travis's helmet mark on his chest from when he blasted him last year???

Originally posted by Merman

You will probably still see it this year. All the offense has to do is bunch 3 WR on one side. The easiest way to counter this potential pick play is to take the WR that crosses into the DB's path. All a WR like Moss would have to do is crisscross toward the third or fourth DB. Sometimes all you can do is get the double team on the best WR.

True, or you can put Surtain on Moss all day.

True, or you can put Surtain on Moss all day.

How is Surtain going to stay with any one WR if they start bunching them up as is becoming popular??? Even if the other DBs are instructed to lay back and allow Surtain to cover the best WR how open will the others be that it makes no difference if Surtain does follow the best WR???

This is done frequently in the NFL. For example, the Ravens Chris McAllister was locked against the other teams #1 WR in almost every game last year.

Originally posted by daryls61
Seau is just another linebacker Travis Henry ran all over last year. By the way, does Zach Thomas still have Travis's helmet mark on his chest from when he blasted him last year???

Daryl, your "Ray Lucas Fan Club" membership has expired. Time to move on, son. I know it's been a long,cold winter, and hopefully clinging to the memory of the two Christmas gifts Ray gave Buffalo last year have kept your little heart warm. It's not gonna go down like that this year, I don't care if you clowns had OJ himself toting the rock in one hand and his knife in the other. Please scram.

Plus seau had an ankle injury. Thats like saying ricky ran over your whole defence so your whole D sucks.

I am hoping that the D becomes more aggressive and changes its looks occasionally.

IMO-No one can cover Randy Moss when he feels like playing so it wouldn't make a difference who covering him.

This is done frequently in the NFL. For example, the Ravens Chris McAllister was locked against the other teams #1 WR in almost every game last year.

I didn't say it was not done. I said sometimes the best you can get is a double team on the best WR and told you how it could be done. With the quality of our top two CBs following a WR isn't that important. The scheme to keep everyone closely covered with help for the weaker players IMO is more important. The Offensive Coordinators in this league are going to isolate the weak link one way or another. Not on every play but it will happen.

Originally posted by Merman

With the quality of our top two CBs following a WR isn't that important.

Here is where I respectfully disagree. When the dropoff in talent between your 2nd DB and 3rd DB is enormous, it then becomes extraordinarily important to ensure that your 3rd DB is not left alone with a superstar WR like Moss or Moulds.

Here is where I respectfully disagree. When the dropoff in talent between your 2nd DB and 3rd DB is enormous, it then becomes extraordinarily important to ensure that your 3rd DB is not left alone with a superstar WR like Moss or Moulds.

We agree on this zachseau13. :) I did say double team and help for the weaker player.

Back
Top Bottom