Defensive side of the ball something to get excited about... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive side of the ball something to get excited about...

I'm a little cautious. Seau has been doing things one way his entire career and from the sound of it we may be asking him to do things a different way. I'm not sure its feasible for the coaches to just change the style of play at one linebacker position without that getting exploited and the fact that the D-Coordinators haven't quite figured out yet how to change things to take advantage of Seau's techniques, worries me a little. I remember when Cris Carter heard about the trade, he said that if the Dolphins got Seau to try and play in their defensive scheme, they might as well have left him in San Diego.

Its a puzzle and I really hope the coaches figure out the answer to the puzzle. It is entirely possible that if they figure it out we become the best D in the league bar none, and if they do not we're no better than last year.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I'm a little cautious. Seau has been doing things one way his entire career and from the sound of it we may be asking him to do things a different way. I'm not sure its feasible for the coaches to just change the style of play at one linebacker position without that getting exploited and the fact that the D-Coordinators haven't quite figured out yet how to change things to take advantage of Seau's techniques, worries me a little. I remember when Cris Carter heard about the trade, he said that if the Dolphins got Seau to try and play in their defensive scheme, they might as well have left him in San Diego.

Its a puzzle and I really hope the coaches figure out the answer to the puzzle. It is entirely possible that if they figure it out we become the best D in the league bar none, and if they do not we're no better than last year.

I completely agree completely with you and Cris Carter, but I am hopeful that Wanny and Bates will figure it out.

With the linebackers we have had the Dolphins have been limited in what they could do, now I think they can be more aggressive.

I think that you may see things like Seau rushing the passer, with a DE dropping into coverage or Seau faking the blitz and causing the offense to react only to drop back into coverage.

In any case, when they decide to blitz a LB they should be more succesful with Seau than they have been with Zach who frequently gets eaten up by the blockers.

I also remember when Seau first arrived, he said he has played so much D that he can adjust to whatever they want him to do. Play strong side or weak side he could do both. With Seau's abilities it doesn't surprise me that the coaches haven't yet decided how much to change schemes or how they are going to use him to best advantage. Training camp is still about two months away.

Sam Madison and Brock Marion are still looking for Eric Moulds. How come your PB corners can't cover him??

Just a bit of advice

But Daryl, you need to take stuff like that to the smackboard. You aren't adding anything to the conversation, just talking smack, and while apparently some people appreciate that..it doesn't belong here, especially from a non Dolphan.

Re: Just a bit of advice

Originally posted by erralyn
But Daryl, you need to take stuff like that to the smackboard. You aren't adding anything to the conversation, just talking smack, and while apparently some people appreciate that..it doesn't belong here, especially from a non Dolphan.

Did you come here today to moderate the boards or participate in the threads?

Originally posted by Va.fin fan
i think this off season we got even nastier on d with seau and knight and t- buck we should put the fear in some people this yr turn this d loose and punish opposing teams.

I totally agree with everything IF Wanny ditches his play not to lose attitude. Otherwise, the other teams know that if they can at least survive the first half then we'll choke again in the second half. Wanny needs to let out the dogs for the whole 60 minutes !

I wholeheartedly agree DeDolfan, I want to see flying and hitting for the full 60....let those dogs run baby!!

Heh

I came here today to read the boards. But then I noticed that apparently the moderators were all on vacation, so I decided - yes - to give a little advice to certain fans of other teams which were talking smack. As long as they are allowed to talk smack elsewhere than the smack board, I'll be 'moderating.' If the moderators would moderate that smack, then I wouldn't have to.

yeah, it's amazing that we can even keep this site running when you're not here...

Not

Not what I'm implying. I'm sure there are plenty of dolphin fans who love to read the latest smack talk from fans of opposing teams instead of solid, non smack filled opinions from those same fans. To each their own, however. But for my sake, I prefer the latter to the former, and that's why I do my little amateur moderating gig.

hmmm, lets see....football fans and smack talk go together like?

I haven't seen two opposing fans have a calm sit down and have a controlled and calm debate over whose team is the best.

In relation to this thread,...I'm kind of uneasy with Seau still. I won't feel comfortable until I hear positive reports out of training camp and hear he has adjusted well to the scheme in a game.

Seau brings tenacity and aggresiveness for sure. However I'm not confident he will want to learn the tricks that Bates and Co. will try to teach him.
By now everyone knows that rhythm of our scheme requires the outside linebackers to be disciplined and play a patient game....not necessarily geared toward a person such as Seau....who can get wreckless at times.

The coaches will have to cater Seau's position to his strenghts...I don't think that old dog wants to learn new tricks....he will default to his instinctive old ways during game time anyway.

Lets keep a close eye on how he progresses in the overall scheme.

Originally posted by daryls61
Seau is just another linebacker Travis Henry ran all over last year. By the way, does Zach Thomas still have Travis's helmet mark on his chest from when he blasted him last year???

Wow.
8-8 k thx ;)

Back
Top Bottom