Deshaun Watson | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Deshaun Watson

This guy, even in Houston, just had a strong arm...but being able to launch it to the moon means nothing if you dont have the brains for the position...which i never saw him have...if you really watched him you could tell he wasn't that great, especially for what price was being asked...
He actually doesn’t. Tua had and has a stronger arm. Watson’s average ball velocity is something like 49 MPH where as Tua’s is around 53.5 MPH. Tua also has an elite release which Watson doesn’t have. This is the main reason I was completely against trading for him once the rumors started getting really hot.

A self-aware Dolphin fan who was pounding the table for Watson would realize that the Dolphins would have been so much worse off if anybody had listened to them. They would recognize that they are bad at evaluating QBs and think twice (or three times) before making such ridiculous statements in the future.
The trade for Watson would mean Hill would be with the Jets now and they would not have had the first round pick to trade for Chubb.

Having the first round draft picks to make those trades is the only reason Hill and Chubb are Dolphins today and would not have been possible if they had traded for Watson and given up the first round picks the Texans wanted for Watson and received from the Browns.

A trade for Watson would have done nothing but ensure the Dolphins remained a mediocre team for the next decade. It would have also meant Tua would be leading another team today.

Realistically, everything goes back to one thing…..thank the baby Jesus that we got rid of Brian Flores.
Totally agree. Flores is another Belichick disciple who thinks defence still wins championships. You have to wonder what kind of personality he has when no offensive co-ordinator worth a lick wanted to work with him.

Those first 2 years with Tua, how could Flores not see the lack of receiving talent, the stupidly tight windows Tua was fitting the ball into, the awful game planning, the awful play calling, throwing him into games he had no right being in as he hadn't recovered from the hip injury, pulling him from games for no reason and yet Tua was still putting up average QB numbers, not bottom of the barrel numbers like Zack Wilson. If it was obvious to me that Tua would be good if you got him some level of receiving talent and some form of play calling, how did the head coach not see it?

So glad he's gone and we've got someone now that sees how you need to play the game in the modern NFL to be able to win.

I said it many times, Watson is not a good QB. I never saw what others saw in him, but if you guys wanted him, all power to you guys.

He was an elite QB until going out of the lineup in 2021. The guy single-handedly had Houston in games they had no business being in. If you couldn't see that, that's more of an indictment on you.

That said, I was definitely not one pushing to trade for him. The cost was not only way too high, but I've been an advocate for Tua since before he was drafted. And I certainly wasn't on-board with moving on from him as so many other quick triggered fans were.

WRT Deshaun Watson, the near 2 seasons he missed clearly has affected his game. He's not the same player he was before. Time will tell whether he finds his way back.

I remember Le'Veon Bell sitting out a season then coming back with the Jests. He wasn't the same player either. Missing that kinda time seems to set players back quite a bit. Watson missed an entire season then another 11 games. So he's really behind the proverbial 8-ball.

He was an elite QB until going out of the lineup in 2021. The guy single-handedly had Houston in games they had no business being in. If you couldn't see that, that's more of an indictment on you.

That said, I was definitely not one pushing to trade for him. The cost was not only way too high, but I've been an advocate for Tua since before he was drafted. And I certainly wasn't on-board with moving on from him as so many other quick triggered fans were.

WRT Deshaun Watson, the near 2 seasons he missed clearly has affected his game. He's not the same player he was before. Time will tell whether he finds his way back.

I remember Le'Veon Bell sitting out a season then coming back with the Jests. He wasn't the same player either. Missing that kinda time seems to set players back quite a bit. Watson missed an entire season then another 11 games. So he's really behind the proverbial 8-ball.
While I NEVER wanted Watson, I admitted at the time he was a better NFL QB than Tua. Of course Tua wasn’t really given a chance to prove how good he was under Flores.

Now in Tua’s 4th season and with a HC who knows what he is doing offensively, Tua has shown that he is a better NFL QB than Watson.

Last edited:
Of course Tua wasn’t really given a chance to prove how good he really was under Flores.

Many fans don't realize how important a factor this is. Not just for Tua, but really for any player and any position.

Being in the right system that emphasizes a players strengths is more than half the battle. Having coaches that believe in the player is also key.

None of the above guarantees success, of course, but not having either or both of the above can, in many cases, spell doom to a career. That's precisely why we see so many players succeed elsewhere or under different coaching/schemes.

Last edited:
I wanted Deshaun Watson but never at the price Cleveland paid. They gave too much in the trade and gave him too big a contract, but that was before last year when Tua showed that he was an MVP type of QB.

Nowadays there isnt another QB I would rather have, the only thing missing on this team is a decent backup to cover for Tua in case of injury.

Tua has become the face of this franchise and has put this team on his back through hard work, dedication, and balls the size of grapefruits. He has earned my respect and commitment and I am riding with Tua until the wheels falls off but I still think we need to be prepared in case he goes down, other than that he is the best man for the job.
Before Tua had shown that was he was an MVP qb....that was part of the point. We had a young qb who had great potential who hadn't been properly evaluated yet.

The only way the move ever made sense is knowing Flores would never have the ability to develop a qb. But never for that trade, for that price, or with his history. Even when he was statistically playing well I would talk time and again about how he was overrated...too many sacks created by himself.

But Kaepernick would fit in seamlessly with any NFL team today! lol

Tua is the complete opposite of watson.

He was highfiving and laughing with Connor Williams on the bench after when Connor had a bad snap.

Tuas attitude. In the bench is an attitude of lets get it right next time even if you did something wrong.

That's why every dolphin player root for him and are so happy to have him as a teammate.

His attitude will take him places because every player will play hard for him and McDaniels.

That alone will take this team to the next level and far in the playoffs.

We are almost there. Go phins.

Another thing to consider: somehow Watson got a guaranteed contract. It’s a complete outlier in the NFL.

And, rather than being a showcase that it doesn’t matter, he is showing that the owners are right to shy away from guaranteed contracts.

It’s going to be an albatross unless he gets fixed

Tua is the complete opposite of watson.

He was highfiving and laughing with Connor Williams on the bench after when Connor had a bad snap.

Tuas attitude. In the bench is an attitude of lets get it right next time even if you did something wrong.

That's why every dolphin player root for him and are so happy to have him as a teammate.

His attitude will take him places because every player will play hard for him and McDaniels.

That alone will take this team to the next level and far in the playoffs.

We are almost there. Go phins.
Tua is a leader and with him, it’s team first. The fact Flores didn’t make Tua a Captain in 2021 and some posters on here made a big deal about it just shows how clueless Flores and those posters were.

He actually doesn’t. Tua had and has a stronger arm. Watson’s average ball velocity is something like 49 MPH where as Tua’s is around 53.5 MPH. Tua also has an elite release which Watson doesn’t have. This is the main reason I was completely against trading for him once the rumors started getting really hot.
Talking about distance, not velocity. That Tua is a better overall qb is obvious. No one was comparing the 2 regardless of the definition being understood as 'arm strength'.

In the end we dodged a bullet and improved.

Back
Top Bottom