detroit wont take cutler-martz | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

detroit wont take cutler-martz

ckparrothead said:
That Jeff Fisher put in a call to the league offices "begging" them to coach the Senior Bowl is not an assumption. Those words came out of his own mouth in interviews at the Senior Bowl.
let's see a link or quote it.

That Jeff Fisher put in a call to the league offices "begging" them to coach the Senior Bowl is not an assumption. Those words came out of his own mouth in interviews at the Senior Bowl.

You are correct CK....but one shouldn't assume why he did it or for whom it did it for....Tenn has many problems...nothing like up front contact with players...you may or may not want in the draft.

fishypete said:

You are correct CK....but one shouldn't assume why he did it or for whom it did it for....Tenn has many problems...nothing like up front contact with players...you may or may not want in the draft.

Well no matter how much upfront money they would have to pay for a quarterback it will be nowhere near the 12 million dollar cap number from McNair

This move convinces me more than ever that Vince Young will be available at #16. Before I probably felt there was about a 30% chance of Young being available at #16...now I put the chances about 50%.

I don't agree with your prediction... but oh my god do I hope you're right and I'm wrong. That would be a ridiculous coup.

Anyone who has followed Young all year has to laugh at the media stooges who say he can't throw deep. The reason it's so funny is that earlier in the season everyone was knocking him because they were saying he was ALL deep ball and couldn't throw short or intermediate. he has a phenomenal YPA, blows Cutler's away.

Now they're saying he can't throw deep. :sidelol: Presumably because in the Rose Bowl USC was protecting deep and giving him the intermediate shots. So he took them.

Good God, we should be so lucky as to get Vince Young.

Here's part of a good article on Young BEFORE the season and what he had to do.

But Young, who completed 58.7 percent of passes last season, needs to make sure his passing stays sharp.
"He's looking us off more," said UT safety Phillip Geiggar. "That's a good sign. And he's sticking the ball in there where the defensive backs can't get ahold of it."
Young has always had a good touch on deep balls and he has shown better accuracy on swing passes and intermediate routes. During two-a-days, he still has shown some difficulty hitting receivers in stride with slants, but he has improved.
"It will definitely be a different Vince this year," Geiggar said. "Totally different. I feel sorry for the teams that have to break down film on him."
Young said he doesn't believe the increased emphasis on working through the progressions will delay his escape from the pocket or make him less likely to scramble.
"The big thing is making reads at the line of scrimmage before the snap," Young said. "And I'll check my No. 1, 2 and 3 receivers. If it's not open, I'll get out of there. I'm not taking more time. I'm doing more in that time." "

Now, there are a couple of interesting things about that. Obviously, the deep ball thing I was talking about...

But what I find more telling is the fact that what he was told he needed to work on was what he excelled at this year. It was like a blueprint for how he beat USC. He was looking off every play. Some were complaing that his recievers were always open... but the truth was that Yound was looking off recievers until he found someone open. And slaughtered USC on the intermediate routes.

The Tennessee/Cutler thing does hold some water, but I still think they are taking Vince Young.

During the Senior Bowl one of the announcers was recalling an interview he had with Jeff Fisher last offseason. He said Fisher had been watching tape of Cedric Benson and he could not concentrate because he was so enamoured with Vince Young. There is some interest there.

That and we all know Vince Young's relationship with Steve Mcnair.

Not to mention that Vince Young is the guy who singlehandedly beat the 2 time defending national champs. Youre gonna pass up on this guy for a guy who played for Vanderbilt? A team that hasnt had a winning record since God knows when?

I dont think that Young is a bad passer. He is just a raw passer. It wasnt like Mack Brown really tried to develop Vince Young as a pocket passer. He saw what Vince Young could do and just let him do it.

Im sure they are interested in Cutler as well, but Cutler at number 3 is just plain dumb.

ckparrothead said:
I don't think the answer to passing on Vince or not is as easy as yes or no. It's all, "who else is available?"

If Antonio Cromartie, Haloti Ngata, Chad Greenway, Winston Justice, or Michael Huff are available...can't say that I'd be too eager to pass on them in favor of Young.

Young vs. Gabe Watson, Bobby Carpenter, Manny Lawson, or Jimmy Williams, that's a more interesting question....and I might have to go with Young on that issue.

I'd be eager to pass on Cromartie, Greenway, or Justice in favor of Young, especially the first 2. If Young's there at #16, which I think is closer to a 5% chance than 50%, then I can't imagine Saban passing on him. Of course... I was saying the same thing about Rodgers last year... so hopefully I'm wrong again and the QB I like will slip.

BlueFin said:
I do agree with you here CK regarding Cutler, although I seriously doubt Young will be the one falling. If, and thats a big if, any QB's fall, I think its Leinart.

I believe the combine/private workouts will expose some warts on Leinart that could cause a bit of a fall.

Agree with you about Leinart.

man i hope you guys are right and leinart and young fall. i think yall are nuts, but nothing wrong for hoping against hope right:lol:

ckparrothead said:
I don't think the answer to passing on Vince or not is as easy as yes or no. It's all, "who else is available?"

If Antonio Cromartie, Haloti Ngata, Chad Greenway, Winston Justice, or Michael Huff are available...can't say that I'd be too eager to pass on them in favor of Young.

Young vs. Gabe Watson, Bobby Carpenter, Manny Lawson, or Jimmy Williams, that's a more interesting question....and I might have to go with Young on that issue.

Alright I follow you on the value chart, I guess my real question is can you envision this guy become a legitimate NFL QB, one that could win a SB someday. I just have trouble seeing that. I think his throwing motion and accuracy over 25 yards is an issue. Plus I just don't see him running like he did in college - it will be more challenging. But, I don't watch video or scout....anyway if all those guys are gone and we take Young are you excited ? Or are you like me, real skeptical..

dominizzo said:
Ok so if Martz doesnt want Cutler what about Ravens
The Ravens are going to be in trouble...

10. How will the Ravens manage their roster?

Aside from the disturbing play of quarterback Kyle Boller, it seems like all the recent news coming from this team revolved around money. Ray Lewis wanted more cash. Jamal Lewis didn't want the franchise tag. Ed Reed wasn't saying anything -- his contract expires after next season -- but he's hungry for an extension. On top of that, the Ravens have 23 free agents (16 unrestricted and seven restricted), including defensive end Anthony Weaver, safety Will Demps and running back Chester Taylor. If the Ravens want to stay competitive, general manager Ozzie Newsome will have to make some tough decisions.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/02/09/ten.questions/1.html

From reading this I have a feeling a QB is the last place they are going to draft. Boller did start to play better at the end of the season (though still not good) and with that many FA's, they are bound to lose a few. Thus depending on how critical of a player they lose, they will need to draft to fill those holes.

Now, Young falling to us... wow that would make things interesting. However, I still doubt it happens. If he starts to fall, there are teams above us that would want to trade down and I am sure there are teams that would love to trade up to get him. Thus, IF he does start to drop... I think there will be some trades happening for teams positioning to get him. IF he does drop to us and there are other players we like still on the board too... then I think we try to trade down and that way still get someone we really like.

Oboy said:
The Ravens are going to be in trouble...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/02/09/ten.questions/1.html

From reading this I have a feeling a QB is the last place they are going to draft. Boller did start to play better at the end of the season (though still not good) and with that many FA's, they are bound to lose a few. Thus depending on how critical of a player they lose, they will need to draft to fill those holes.

Now, Young falling to us... wow that would make things interesting. However, I still doubt it happens. If he starts to fall, there are teams above us that would want to trade down and I am sure there are teams that would love to trade up to get him. Thus, IF he does start to drop... I think there will be some trades happening for teams positioning to get him. IF he does drop to us and there are other players we like still on the board too... then I think we try to trade down and that way still get someone we really like.

Exactly, I've been say this for weeks. People keep bringing up the Ravens as a threat to take a QB and couldn't be further off. The Ravens are a MESS right now, the last thing they need is to groom another young QB.

ckparrothead said:
Martz and Harrington are a pretty good marriage. Harrington is a very cerebral, smart quarterback and Martz will help him translate his smarts onto the field. They paid up to get Martz IMO so that they don't have to take Cutler. So, I agree with you there.

However, that's not the main outcome of this move. The main outcome of this move is that they WILL NOT select Vince Young. Never in a million years now.

IMO, the Lions will never get the chance to take Cutler. I think Tennessee will take Cutler at #3...possibly even the Saints at #2. If Tennessee has a choice between Leinart and Young, they take Leinart cuz of Chow. I firmly believe that. If they have a choice between Cutler and Young, they take Jay Cutler or they trade down to get out of the pick. I firmly believe that as well. Vince Young just DOES NOT fit Norm Chow's offense. It's like chocalate ice cream and onions. It's actually pretty lucky for the Titans that nobody is really talking about that...cuz it makes a trade down possible.

The question to me now becomes will the Jets pass on Young at #4, and will the Cardinals pass on him at #9, because there's no way Young will end up a Detroit Lion with Mike Martz signed to a $1.5 mil/year deal as OC. I think the Jets take Ferguson over Young. I think the Cardinals take LenDale in Glendale before Young, because Vince doesn't fit Denny Green's vertical passing game. Green does not favor running QBs, because they minimize the stable of talent in the WR group, and he's accumulate a pretty nice stable of talent in Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, and Bryant Johnson.

This move convinces me more than ever that Vince Young will be available at #16. Before I probably felt there was about a 30% chance of Young being available at #16...now I put the chances about 50%.
Wow, hard to believe that Young could fall to us at 16 but I'd take him at that spot....the guy can make plays one way or the other.....amazing that he could drop that far down but stranger things have happen......and on that note at last my 4000 post......:cooldude:

Ozzy rules!!:rawk: :band: :rockon: :band2:

You can also take the Texans out of the Vince Young race completely now (as if they weren't already out of it). They just exercised the $8 million option on David Carr's contract.

And then they have the cajones to say that this move has nothing to do with the first pick in the draft, lol. I love PFT's latest quote on it. "Umm, your mascot is a red and blue starry-eyed bull, not a pile of steaming bullsh!t"

I'm telling ya, Young not going to the Texans, not going to the Saints (Mickey Loomis sounded off some STRONG words about the historical failures of running QBs prior to the Rose Bowl)...IMO, not going to the Titans due to compatibility issues...Jets staring at the prospect of trading an overpaid malcontent injury-prone DE for Phil Rivers...Green Bay's got their man...Does Al Davis take him? San Fran has their man. Buffalo has their man. Denny Green is too vertically oriented and are all about LenDale in Glendale right now. Detroit hired Martz which means I have a better chance of marrying Giselle Bundchen than they do of drafting Vince Young. Will Scott Linehan take him? (valid question). Cleveland has their man (not because of the 3rd round investment, but because of the fan hype and overall optimism from staff regarding Frye). Baltimore is a MESS and will not take a QB. Atlanta might be in for an eventual divorce with Vick, but they won't replace Vick with Vick the Greater. That leaves Miami.

Overall I find three main questions need to be answered before we know whether Young reaches pick #16.

1. Will the Raiders take him? Al Davis loves value, loves offense, loves cast-offs, and probably would love Young's attitude. But, he has Jerry Porter and Randy Moss, where Vince (not unlike Vick) doesn't get the most out of his receivers and does not exploit the vertical passing game. Solid question here. Vince could be a Raider.

2. Will Scott Linehan take him? I think this is a valid question. He has Marc Bulger but Marc Bulger does not have the kind of arm and mobility that Scott normally prefers. Remember, before Scott left us, we were rumored to be interested in Vince, but not interested in Rivers, because of Rivers' arm and mobility. Bulger is a smart, highly paid QB with high accuracy and low arm strength and mobility, where normally Scott views the value in QBs to be more in the arm strength and mobility than in the smarts and the accuracy. Vince does have a strong arm, I think his 70 yard throws and low trajectory let us safely say he has a strong arm...and he's obviously got his legs. This is a QB I think that Scott could work with, especially with Scott's extensive use of the shotgun lending itself to Vince's strengths. This is also a truly valid question.

3. Will someone sense that Miami may take Young, and trade up to get him? At this point it is really hard to answer that question. You've got a whole lot of teams picking below us that could move up, a lot of them do need QBs, but there's generally an aversion to doing this. Still, it's about as valid a question as the other two.

Overall I'd have to say that each of those questions have about a 20% probability so I come away thinking there's a 40% chance Miami is staring at Vince Young on the board at #16.

Back
Top Bottom