Devlin should be #2 (not based on tonights game alone) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Devlin should be #2 (not based on tonights game alone)

It's got to be a big let down for Moore that he was beat out by the rookie. His expectations were set that they wanted to develop Tanny for a year.
He has probably realized that he's reached the pinnacle of his career and he may not get another chance to be a starter.
And I think his performance demonstrated that last night.

Matt Moore has sucked all preseason whether it be against the starters or not. He looked terrible last night.

I don't remember who posted it but he was spot on by saying Moore looked like, "an inaccurate Chad Pennington throwing the football."

I like Devlin, and I hope he makes the team as a 3rd QB, but we need a vet working as backup with Tannehill

I think they should trade Moore and let Devlin and Garrard battle for the #2 QB. Moore has regressed and this system is not for him.

Pat Devlin has improved his arm strength, but is still too raw. He needs to go back on the practice squad for at least one more year. I would feel more secure with Matt Moore backing up Tannehill. Moore looks like he is not meant for the WCO, but he's a vet with experience and can win us a game or 2 if needed be.

Pat Devlin has improved his arm strength, but is still too raw. He needs to go back on the practice squad for at least one more year. I would feel more secure with Matt Moore backing up Tannehill. Moore looks like he is not meant for the WCO, but he's a vet with experience and can win us a game or 2 if needed be.
I think he's earned the right to be on the 53. He's led the team on two TD drives matching Tannehill. Moore led this team to none. Devlin has done enough to stick on someone's roster, even if it's not here, he'll be on someone's 53. He'd probably end up in Green Bay and they'd coach him up and flip him for multiple picks.

I think he's earned the right to be on the 53. He's led the team on two TD drives matching Tannehill. Moore led this team to none. Devlin has done enough to stick on someone's roster, even if it's not here, he'll be on someone's 53. He'd probably end up in Green Bay and they'd coach him up and flip him for multiple picks.

Devlin has been going up against 3s and 4s, while Moore has been going up against 1s and 2s. Tannehill is going to go through his share of bumps and bruises in learning this season, the last thing we want should he go down, is the person behind him going through the same thing.

Devlin has been going up against 3s and 4s, while Moore has been going up against 1s and 2s. Tannehill is going to go through his share of bumps and bruises in learning this season, the last thing we want should he go down, is the person behind him going through the same thing.

Not in the last two games. What difference does it really make, if you're getting the ball out quick and completing passes and putting the ball where it needs to be.

I agree we need a vet to help the rookie, but lets face the facts here, the dolphins are in full rebuild mode so why not trade moore and cut garrad..give devlin a shot at #2...remember what our tight ends coach said about how he reminded him of romo? I think it will be fun watching all this young talent develop. I'm a realist and i am looking forward to this coaching regime building a super team. But its not going to happen overnight, give them a couple years and lets see where we are.

There's no question that Devlin has looked better than Moore in the preseason (partially because Moore has seemed really screwed up) but my problem with Devlin is that he makes a couple nice throws to start and then seems to get really sloppy forcing the football, and doesn't turn his drives into TD's (or at least should-be TD's like Tannehill's). If playing well in your first couple of snaps were all it takes, Henne would be a hall of famer.

Devlin's confidence while on the field is impressive, but I'd be more impressed if were like a lot of truly talented third stringers (the guys who will eventually at least be career #2s) if he turned that into actual scoring production.

There's no question that Devlin has looked better than Moore in the preseason (partially because Moore has seemed really screwed up) but my problem with Devlin is that he makes a couple nice throws to start and then seems to get really sloppy forcing the football, and doesn't turn his drives into TD's (or at least should-be TD's like Tannehill's). If playing well in your first couple of snaps were all it takes, Henne would be a hall of famer.

Devlin's confidence while on the field is impressive, but I'd be more impressed if were like a lot of truly talented third stringers (the guys who will eventually at least be career #2s) if he turned that into actual scoring production.

He's moved the ball all the way to the goal line on 4 out of 7 possessions, turning into two touchdowns. Tannehill has only gotten to the red zone 4 times in all his possessions, and only for two touchdowns. The touchdowns will come, the main thing for now is getting there.

He's moved the ball all the way to the goal line on 4 out of 7 possessions, turning into two touchdowns. Tannehill has only gotten to the red zone 4 times in all his possessions, and only for two touchdowns. The touchdowns will come, the main thing for now is getting there.

Yes but he is playing against absolute scrubs, so making a couple throws means pretty much nothing. It's barely a step up from playing throw and catch with the lack of talent on the field at those points in the game. And no, TD's in the red zone don't magically come, or else Chad Henne wouldn't have been throwing for 300 yards a game and still only putting up 16-20 points in his 4th year.

I find Devlin's confidence encouraging, but last year Matt Moore had several multi-TD games in the preseason playing with the same scrubs Devlin is. I'm not bringing that up to compare the two, just showing you that a capable QB can do a lot more than what Devlin has done. Heck, didn't one or two of the Bucs backups only have like one or two incomplete passes against us combined?

If Devlin would have hit paydirt more with the opportunities he got, then I would have been impressed. He even had a chance to win a game, which would actually mean something for the third stringers. But he threw a pick on a ball that just should not have been thrown, and that's pretty much Devlin's preseason; close, but no cigar.

Back
Top Bottom