Did anything ever happen to the refs.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did anything ever happen to the refs..

No. I was at that game, my first ever Dolphins - Eagles game, as a life long eastern Pa resident. I went with my brother and some friends, all of whom are Eagles fans. I was bitching the whole way home.
Calling that game a travesty is an understatement. Lane Johnson just could not contain Jaelen Phillips so he resorted to quite a bit of holding, none of which drew the refs attention apparently because Lane Johnson is just too good of a player to be called for holding.

The Christian Wilkins roughing the passer penalty gifted the Eagles 7 points (or at least 4). The back judge, who didn't call the penalty, mouthing the words "Are you sure" to the Eagles fan ref on that call just plays back in my mind over and over again.

Jaylen Waddle was also interfered with on Tua's late game INT, granted it wasn't the best throw, Waddle wasn't allowed to make the play on the ball to at the very least prevent the INT.

I'll NEVER get over that game. And that POS ref with the wife who had the Eagles logo on her social media's still infuriates me.\

Other than all that, I actually enjoyed the atmosphere and pre game tailgating.

The thing that stands out to me the most though was Lane Johnson vs Jaelen Phillips. It wasn't fair. Phillips was the All-Pro player in that matchup. Even Bradley Chubb's sack came directly because of Phillips funneling Hurts out of the pocket.
This is the game that frustrated me the most last year, especially when it came out that the crew were Eagles fans. I believe if that game was fairly officiated, Miami might have won.

The NFL owes the fans and players a better officiated product. I realize it's a difficult game to officiate, with so many subjective rules etc.

But, too many games now are decided by bad calls. If everyone on their couches and in the stands see a missed called, and there's a system in place to get more calls right, why isn't the NFL doing more?

I'm not sure if the NFL ever said anything about that BS Philly game or if they ever looked into those refs.
Was wondering if anyone knows if there was ever a follow-up on it
Season 2 Lol GIF by Insecure on HBO

Yea they got a harsh punishment, I'm sure

Refs make 200-250k per year. How is that not a full time job? I can show them how to live on alot less if they need help.
They mostly have jobs on the side. You can't all of a sudden make them stay all year for the same money but if you offer a raise and benefits you can probably have them for about 10 months of the year which would be enough.

It's a multi-billion dollar industry, paying a tiny fraction of that to solidify the integrity of the game is a no brainer IMO.

They mostly have jobs on the side. You can't all of a sudden make them stay all year for the same money but if you offer a raise and benefits you can probably have them for about 10 months of the year which would be enough.

It's a multi-billion dollar industry, paying a tiny fraction of that to solidify the integrity of the game is a no brainer IMO.
Do you guys really think the refs are as bad as they are due to incompetence? Would more time dedicated to the sport fix that? Or is there something more sinister going on? Another angle could just be that the players are stronger, bigger, faster and the game is so much more faster that the human eye cannot process fast enough to make the right call. In that case, we need to use technology more.

Grrrr.... you had to remind me of that BS excuse for a ref crew. I hate those dishonest bastards with the fire of a thousand angry suns.

May they all get massive unhealable boils on their asses!

Do you guys really think the refs are as bad as they are due to incompetence? Would more time dedicated to the sport fix that? Or is there something more sinister going on? Another angle could just be that the players are stronger, bigger, faster and the game is so much more faster that the human eye cannot process fast enough to make the right call. In that case, we need to use technology more.
If it was due to some human limitation, you would expect it to effect both teams equally.

Adding more technology and getting the calls right all the time doesn't improve the sport or make it more entertaining. It could actually make football less interesting to watch if all the rules were enforced all the time.

Fairness is what the sport needs.

If it was due to some human limitation, you would expect it to effect both teams equally.

Adding more technology and getting the calls right all the time doesn't improve the sport or make it more entertaining. It could actually make football less interesting to watch if all the rules were enforced all the time.

Fairness is what the sport needs.

Exactly. It wasn't a coincidence that the team most affiliated with the officiating crew got the benefit of every single call.

They got paid. Plain and simple. Literally no other option.

I believe it's probably a combination of all of what you've said. That's why I've suggested training (including conditioning) and film study.

Off field officials(s) would be ideal, as long as the fans could boo them. :)

Yeah, they tend to do things under the radar, when they bother to do anything at all. Nothing happened to the crew who officiated the bogus game against the Steelers a decade or so ago, despite the obvious conflict of interest (most of the crew was from the Pittsburgh area) and the whole blatantly giving the ball to the wrong team after a fumble, plus all of the other "mistakes" they made in the game.
Right...they DGAF about honest play, unless they can take draft picks from a team to try and appear like they have integrity.

If there were any repercussions, the NFL would not publicly acknowledge it. Not really in their best interests.

I really hate this attitude of companies, and its very naive of them to do so. In this day in age, the more transparent you are, the better your public reputation...

Imagine if the NFL followed XFL/UFL's steps and we could have heard the ref's conversations...

Back
Top Bottom