Did Charles Harris have a successful rookie season? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did Charles Harris have a successful rookie season?

Did Charles Harris have a successful rookie season?

• Total voters
Year after year this forum spoon feeds the Dolphins a quality draft strategy and year after year Miami doubles down on a Harris, a Carroo, an Odrick...

The easy pick was Watt/Foster/Njoku/Peppers or trade out but hey lets out think the room, come on down Charles Harris. That's the last time we heard from him.

This shouldn't be so hard.

Watt could have played SAM. Foster we passed on cause he's a headcase, that I get. Njoku would have been real nice. Peppers is being terribly mis used in cle, he could have started at weak for us. Even if it was a surprise on draft day Evan Engram has looked good.

But the guys I truly regret passing on played the same position of need as Harris. We wouldn't be looking for edge setters had we taken Taco and Tak McKinley has proven to be the best edge guy taken last year. I guess the shoulder kept us away.

What's more confounding was having taken everybody's unwarranted man crush, McMillan when everyone and their mom's knew albeit not an orthodox tackler Cunningham was the better player in POA, coverage, blitzing, plain value, stayed healthy and tore it up in Hou.

It wasn’t a successful season, as he was no where near being a top 32 or even top 50, 2017 rookie. That doesn’t mean it was a bad pick. He had flashes of why we picked him. DE is one of the most important and hard to find positions, and he still has a lot of upside. Wake and Brach are probably in their last seasons with Miami. We don’t know about Hayes. 2018 and ‘19 where he needs to step up. Jason Taylor and even JJ Watt didn’t dominate their first season, and no im not saying he will be that good, but one year doesn’t determine the success of a draft.

Harris’ first season wasn’t good. He showed he’s got some speed and athleticism, but he also showed us he doesn’t know how to use it. I remember Jason Taylor struggling his first season with understanding how to use his speed in the pass rush. JT became a wizard at setting up the OT the first 3 quarters, then blowing by him in the 4th when it mattered. And then there are other DE’s that are super athletic that never put it together. I’m not sure which one Harris will be.

The good part is that Harris has a year of NFL speed football experience. He now knows what is expected of him in year 2

Not when the vision is what the player will be two years down the road

Then that becomes a "luxury" pick. Something we cannot afford. We can't even hit on immediate picks. Claiming to have a vision into the future of what a player can be infers we have insight and ability to develop said player.

Something we also do not have a great track record.

For an established organization with a proven culture I can see your argument. But in our situation, with our staffs and need for immediate validation, I don't think your argument applies here.

Hope Hoops is right,I like the kids aditude but the question is was his first year is a sucess and in the mode of Bill Parcells Harris is a pup that didn't bite and if they don't bite as pups according to Parcells they don't bite as dogs so the answer this season for Harris is No.

When Harris was taken at 22, Cam Robinson, Forrest Lamp, Dalvin Cook, Sid Jones were all available. So we pretty much knew at least one of these would be available if we traded down to the top of the 2nd round.
So one of these players plus a couple of extra picks for the trade down is certainly greater than Harris at this point. So not a successful pick so far in that respect.

Who knows though, he works hard, still could turn out to be very good....but tough to justify his pick at 22 so far.

Back
Top Bottom