Did Grier Make the Right Choice Trading from 12 to 6? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did Grier Make the Right Choice Trading from 12 to 6?

I like that the FO gambled here.

We never know exactly how a season will play out, primarily because of injuries but on the surface it does appear we've given ourselves a shot at a top 10 pick from SF.

They should finish last in that division. Trey Lance may or may not develop into a good QB but in 2021 it doesn't appear the position is going to be a plus for them. Bosa might hit the ground running and not miss a beat from the dominant DE he was in 2019, but he also might have a ho-hum no pressure to perform immediately kind of season. George Kittle misses games no?

I like the gamble of possessing another teams picks. In a perfect world we get another top 5 pick.

no flatly. the clear move was to stay at 3 and get THE PLAYER that is a top 10 nfl player for a decade. pitts is predicted to be that. chase is given a chance to be a top 20 (hes being called the best recover to come out since 2011 and julio jones).

having a very late pick 1st round pick 2 years from now does not make up for losing out on pitts or losing out on chase.
i feel the way most experts do: miami thought they would get one of these 2 at 6. they were wrong. you build the strongest team, not get lost in the draft picks game like belichick does.

now is waddle good. yes. by all accounts he could be as good or better than tyreek hill. his breaks are awesome. and no one will catch him. if he stays healthy he should be a very good player.

you dont draft 3rd very often. not with flores as the coach. i think qb would have been the wisest pick with a pick that valuable at 3. 2 shots at one franchise qb. if not a qb, you take the player who makes you most dominant for a decade. that is pitts. that is chase i think too. waddle doesnt make you as good as you are with one of them. and what we have left in compensation after trading back up does not make the difference.
Prior to the draft, a lot of people that I respect on this site also said quarterback should have been the pick for Miami at number three.

While I don't agree, there certainly is merit in that. Hopefully Tua takes off. I feel strongly that he will.

But if that doesn't happen and Lance and Fields are stars, that's an entirely different discussion.

All else being equal, if Philly stays as 6, they take a bama wr. Then the giants at 11 take the other one.

You can't assume miami and dallas strike the same deal as dallas and philly, the conversation could've been completely different

Bingo. Success favors those who are proactive.

To all those saying it's easy to speak from hindsight. A bunch of us were critical at the time when the trade went down. BNF I believe even started a thread on the subject. Hindsight has merely made the situation look even worse than it did at the time. To this day I have no idea why we felt the need to panic here and pull these trades out so far in advance, I don't think people fully contemplate how valuable a spot we were in, we gave up all our leverage for a first 2 years down the road from a team that made the superbowl 14 months ago. We probably lost 2 of the 4 targets we had in doing so, if ATL had gone QB and Cincy took Sewell like I think we were banking on we would have looked like geniuses but that didn't happen because we gave up that control.

I like that the FO gambled here.

We never know exactly how a season will play out, primarily because of injuries but on the surface it does appear we've given ourselves a shot at a top 10 pick from SF.

They should finish last in that division. Trey Lance may or may not develop into a good QB but in 2021 it doesn't appear the position is going to be a plus for them. Bosa might hit the ground running and not miss a beat from the dominant DE he was in 2019, but he also might have a ho-hum no pressure to perform immediately kind of season. George Kittle misses games no?

I like the gamble of possessing another teams picks. In a perfect world we get another top 5 pick.
On paper, SF does look like team #4 in that division. Of course, not if you are listening to the Bay Area media. They are talking super bowl run.

That's what's great about the draft, though. The excitement it brings to the fan base.

To all those saying it's easy to speak from hindsight. A bunch of us were critical at the time when the trade went down. BNF I believe even started a thread on the subject. Hindsight has merely made the situation look even worse than it did at the time. To this day I have no idea why we felt the need to panic here and pull these trades out so far in advance, I don't think people fully contemplate how valuable a spot we were in, we gave up all our leverage for a first 2 years down the road from a team that made the superbowl 14 months ago. We probably lost 2 of the 4 targets we had in doing so, if ATL had gone QB and Cincy took Sewell like I think we were banking on we would have looked like geniuses but that didn't happen because we gave up that control.

The team did anything but panic. They had their second trade lined up in 15 minutes after making the first. They knew what they were doing.

You use the words probably, I think and If a lot for someone who is so sure of his stance.

They didn't target the player you did, get over it.

It was a coup.

Waddle could easily turn out better than Chase.

Trading so early was unusual. Then again, if I were GM, I think I would have taken that SF trade. Three #1's and a #3 is a big return.

I'm not 100 percent convinced that Pitts was the target, but I have to think Chase was. Maybe Pitts was, but I just question how Miami would utilize his talent.

As to Watson, I think there's a good chance he would have been traded to SF if not for what transpired with him. The 49ers gave Miami three #1's for a chance at a franchise quarterback. I believe SF would have aggressively pursued a sure thing.

So, in that sense Houston keeps giving!

At the end of the day, Miami ended up with an additional first and third rounder to move down three spots. Although it will be interesting to watch Chase, Pitts and Waddle and how productive they are in the NFL.
Great points all around. Not surprising. You're a font of great points brother, thanks!

:cheers:

The team did anything but panic. They had their second trade lined up in 15 minutes after making the first. They knew what they were doing.

You use the words probably, I think and If a lot for someone who is so sure of his stance.

They didn't target the player you did, get over it.

It was a coup.

Waddle could easily turn out better than Chase.

They panicked dude. They couldn't do a deal with Philly directly so went through SF instead. Riding it out even a couple more weeks would have yielded better compensation. Like I mentioned before NYG got a better net return from moving down in the middle of the round.

Last edited:
So tough to assess these things, especially with information that we do not have.

Was Waddle their top wideout? I am sure they loved him, but we may never get that answer. It makes sense to say he was their top playmaker choice. Grier isn't going to come out and say he liked Pitts and Chase more for our team, but by trading out of 3 he lost that opportunity. Everyone has their favorite weapon in this draft.

On paper, SF does look like team #4 in that division. Of course, not if you are listening to the Bay Area media. They are talking super bowl run.

That's what's great about the draft, though. The excitement it brings to the fan base.
Wait, so the "SF" in your name doesn't mean Super Friends?!?!?!?!?!?

Kidding ... kidding ... kidding ............ wonder-twin powers ACTIVATE ... still kidding ... but digging the SuperFriends anyway ..... OK maybe I knew it meant San Fran ... but this is way more fun.

Trading so early was unusual. Then again, if I were GM, I think I would have taken that SF trade. Three #1's and a #3 is a big return.

I can understand more the SF trade than I can what we gave up to go back to 6. We surely must have worked out the net ? Philly have a history of playing us and it continued this year in my view, stop being their doormats.

Back
Top Bottom