did players quit on wanny? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

did players quit on wanny?

RANDYNRONNY said:
well we all can figure out by now that ricky was not in love with wanny but how many other players disliked him and do you think that the players quit on wanny to hope to get him fired?

Won 4 Lost 12

Lost by 10, Sep 11 - L vs. Tennessee, 7-17
Lost by 3, Sep 19 - L at Cincinnati, 13-16
Lost by 10, Sep 26 - L vs. Pittsburgh, 3-13
Lost by 8, Oct 3 - L vs. NY Jets, 9-17
Lost by 14, Oct 10 - L at New England, 10-24
Lost by 7, Oct 17 - L at Buffalo, 13-20
Oct 24 - W vs. St. Louis, 31-14
Lost by 27, Nov 1 - L at NY Jets, 14-41
Lost by 1, Nov 7 - L vs. Arizona, 23-24
Nov 14 - Open
Lost by 7, Nov 21 - L at Seattle, 17-24
Nov 28 - W at San Francisco, 24-17
Lost by 10, Dec 5 - L vs. Buffalo, 32-42
Lost by 3, Dec 12 - L at Denver, 17-20
Dec 20 - W vs. New England, 29-28
Dec 26 - W vs. Cleveland, 10-7
Lost by 7, Jan 2 - L at Baltimore, 23-30

Other than the usual 1 game collapse, they were in just about every game..some games were decided by the int of our O..so no the team didn't quit on Wanny..plus the players for this team have a lot of pride, reguardless of who's the coach.

BlueFin said:
I agree, I just don't think they bought into his philosophy at some point.

Wanny's philosophy (or at least his failure to adjust it) is a valid criticism. I think the players rightfully questioned it, but the reason I respect them is that they still played hard. Anybody who answers yes to this question is not just criticizing Wanny, but also the players. If that's the case then we should start from scratch b/c a team full of quitters will never win. (I'd mention RW here, but it might turn into another RW thread. Damn too late.) ;)

ch19079 said:
players dont quit on coaches. they quit on themselves.

I have to diagree. Players quit on Callahan when he was coach of the Raiders.

Jimmy did not have fresh legs for his players...that was an exhausted team that lost 62-7...what a nightmare. Those players never quit on Wannstedt. The offensive line got their asses kicked on every play during the MNF against the Jets last season. Just a sad offense against a Jets team really ready to play that night.

MDFINFAN said:
Won 4 Lost 12
Other than the usual 1 game collapse, they were in just about every game..
just because the final score showed a loss by 7, does not mean you were "in the game".

the last SB is a good example.
and you lost to the cardinals. :shakeno:

ch19079 said:
just because the final score showed a loss by 7, does not mean you were "in the game".

I watched the games, we were defintely in most all of them...

NJFINSFAN1 said:
No, Wanny quit on them! thank God!

Well put....I for one don't believe that the players quit on the coach, I believe that wanny did the exact thing that Ricky did..he is no better.

Im not sure I can go so far as to say that they quit on Wannestadt. I do think that they played with no confidence in the gameplan and got down on themselves when they got down. Good coaches dont let that happen. Wannestadt didnt inspire or motivate them. Everyone gets down and every team wants to give in sometimes, the great coaches don't let their teams giveup or get down. Wannestadt couldnt gameplan, couldnt make adjustments and couldnt inspire teamplay, the players Im sure could sense that if the fans can.

ch19079 said:

At least we didn't lose to the Steelers second string team.

byroan said:
At least we didn't lose to the Steelers second string team.
you have nothing new to add, or any real info that proves me wrong, so you simply insult my team... :shakeno:

RANDYNRONNY said:
well we all can figure out by now that ricky was not in love with wanny but how many other players disliked him and do you think that the players quit on wanny to hope to get him fired?

You cannot convince me that players at this calibre of ball will "give up" just because they do not like the coach. If they do, quite frankly, they should be fired. I will say that Wanny had no idea how to get the best out of his players and they lost faith in him which means that some intensity may be lost. BUT, they did not consciously say to themselves, "lets play bad and get big ears fired."

I don't think they quit on wanny, but I feel that they didn't have their hearts in it 100% Indecision is a virus that spreads through a organization and destroys it

Back
Top Bottom