Dilema for inebacker needy Miam: Reggie Ragland vs Jaylon Smith | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dilema for inebacker needy Miam: Reggie Ragland vs Jaylon Smith

fisi

Active Roster
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbR9nIjlVHg

Reggie Ragland- Best run stuffer in the draft but too slow, can't cover for sht, not a 3-down player.

vs

Jaylon Smith: speed, speed, speed. But very light not good against the run.

if you're picking for the Dolphins, who do you choose ?

I like the Ohio states LB, Josh Perry. The guy is a thumper.

josh perrys not a mike...kentrell brothers 2014 tape might be the worst I saw and that says a lot cause I saw a lot of bad tape looking for a mike...although I do THINK his game's mike god that was some ugly tape

I'd pass on brothers I think I'd probably pass on mike period in this class til day 3...is what it is drafts just not good for it

Smith, perfect fit for the weak side and we have a lot of problems covering backs and tight ends and this guy will help that a lot. But I wouldn't pick him at 9 with the Injury.

Sign Danny Trevathan. Then draft Vernon Hargreaves III.

Sorry, was dreamin.

Sign Danny Trevathan. Then draft Vernon Hargreaves III.

Sorry, was dreamin.

all I see there is a really bad contract in a 43 as a mike...like my gut hurts thinking about how bad a contract that would be...if he's smart he will stay in Denver and that scheme

no way im paying him top 5 money as a free agent to play mike in a 43

I see Reggie Ragland as a three down linebacker. He's not Miles Jack in coverage, but he's not Channing Crowder either.

I like Ragland a lot in a trade down scenario. I think #8 is a little high, but I do think he will go top 15. Ragland is better than the sum of his parts IMO. He would bring leadership, a physical presence that this team needs badly and the smarts having played for Nick Saban. He would have to adjust from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and that's a bit of a concern.

Definitely a better matchup vs. Buffalo and New York, than New England. Both those teams want to pound the ball and Ragland would be part of the answer there.

As to Jaylon Smith, I think with his injury I would pass at #8 but might be worth it in a trade down.

Saying Jaylon is not very good against the run is a JOKE! The kid is a FREAK of nature.

I rarely make claims like this, if ever.... Jaylon Smith will be one of the best LB's in the league for years to come.

Sure, I've had my share of misses, like all of us. Though the last time I was this sure, Keuchley was still a Sophomore. Time before that, Patrick Willis.

You can flame me in a couple years if he busts out, or can't perform due to injury. But I'm of the firm belief that any team that passes him up will regret it for years to come.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------
I would've taken Smith before the injury at 8.

Would you have also passed up on Todd Gurley due to injury?

all I see there is a really bad contract in a 43 as a mike...like my gut hurts thinking about how bad a contract that would be...if he's smart he will stay in Denver and that scheme

no way im paying him top 5 money as a free agent to play mike in a 43

Something tells me there's about to be several gut hurting contracts dished out in FA. Not necessarily from the Phins. Seems like some, more than usual, big salaries being talked about in FA this year.

As for your comment on Trevathan, he has proven very adaptive from college (CB) to NFL (ILB), while excelling in each position. He has the cover and run support skills. Nothing, from my chair, to support he can't make another adjustment again. He's also got the mental component in his repertoire. The skills are there. But I agree with your assessment that he is going to be expensive. Almost as difficult to swallow as Suh's contract (per position).

But Geesush we need a GD MLB more than anything. A good/great MLB makes Suh a lot more impactful. And it would be nice to cover Gronk for one whole game.

Something tells me there's about to be several gut hurting contracts dished out in FA. Not necessarily from the Phins. Seems like some, more than usual, big salaries being talked about in FA this year.

As for your comment on Trevathan, he has proven very adaptive from college (CB) to NFL (ILB), while excelling in each position. He has the cover and run support skills. Nothing, from my chair, to support he can't make another adjustment again. He's also got the mental component in his repertoire. The skills are there. But I agree with your assessment that he is going to be expensive. Almost as difficult to swallow as Suh's contract (per position).

But Geesush we need a GD MLB more than anything. A good/great MLB makes Suh a lot more impactful. And it would be nice to cover Gronk for one whole game.

you think he has inside read and diag in a 43 as a mike? that he's ahead of the play or is he minus primary assignment running and chasing almost all post snap?

JS is a big kid who plays small against the run. Injury or not, don't pick him at 8.

I would love Jaylon on our team. HOWEVER he isn't the best fit, and especially as a 43 mike. I understand all of hoops / others gripes about him as a player and they are there. I do think he would improve our team (at Mike or will) but I do not think that it would be the best move for the Dolphins to draft him. Jack may be better, may be gone. I think he's better than Ragland and will continue to get stronger and grow into his body. But yeah, would love him here but know it's not a true fit for a mike

Back
Top Bottom