Dilema for inebacker needy Miam: Reggie Ragland vs Jaylon Smith | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dilema for inebacker needy Miam: Reggie Ragland vs Jaylon Smith

This time around I actually miss Karlos Dansby and dare I say, Channing Crowder lol. Crowder was slow and couldn't cover for **** but he was good against the run. I remember him being very good actually. Unless it was that long ago.

the other thing I worry about with jaylon smith is he has a very thin torso...if you project that at mike and adding weight you may scrape the athlete in the process...and im telling you for his level of current inside the box instincts you cannot afford it

maketevich is probably gonna cost you a 3rd round pick even as a 2 down guy unless he just runs an awful like 5.0 number...I think hes more in the mid 4.8s but I don't see anything that projects at mike with real range...you are talking about some average at best to more below average athletes for the nfl

unless something falls in our lap I might just invest a year in a if arm healthy james laurinitus at the $3 mil range...tread water til 2017

I do think Miami is bound to make a move here I just hope they don't overplay it either in the draft or with a bad contract in free agency that we have to wait 3 years to get out of...don't force it

I pound the pavement on the need for a difference making mike as much as anyone but if it's not there it's not there

Everybody looks good when they play for other team in nfl but when they come to dolphins. They alway look avg or sorry.why

Brothers legs are so short his area of impact on the field is cut down. Definitely not a sideline to sideline player. Within his comfort zone, he's probably the best mike in the draft. Reads it well, doesn't hesitate, excellent tackling technique, some blitzing ability. But his range is limited and that's never going to change. 2nd round too rich for me. I really haven't seen any mike in this draft that I'd go to bat for. Some amazing Will/3-4 ILB/nickel/hybrid prospects. Some undersized DEs who might make SAM converts. If we're smart, we're picking up a mike in FA.

Jaylon is a great LB. He's not stout taking on blocks or front-up tackles in college though. That will be exacerbated in the pros. He needs to add some ballast, which he might get done to a degree while his leg is rehabbing..

That's a legitimate concern, but long-term, I'm more concerned that he's an overrated athlete. Coming out of HS, at under 220, he ran around a 4.60, and he jumped 32 or 32 1/2" on the vert. Nothing about him points to the freak athlete that people are hyping. Don't see it on the field either. Healthy or not, I don't think it's hard to find 15 better prospects in this draft.

Square pegs in round holes rather than making scheme fit the players. Gase says he will change that trend. Let's see.

Myles Jack is far and away the best linebacker in this draft. Not sure he gets to 8, but if he does, you have to pounce. If not, Hargreaves would be my pick. Only scenario that I would select Ragland is if Miami traded back into the 20's.

CJ Mosley out of Alabama a few years ago was picked at #17, and he is a better all around player than Ragland is.

Myles Jack is far and away the best linebacker in this draft. Not sure he gets to 8, but if he does, you have to pounce. If not, Hargreaves would be my pick. Only scenario that I would select Ragland is if Miami traded back into the 20's.

CJ Mosley out of Alabama a few years ago was picked at #17, and he is a better all around player than Ragland is.

Where would you put Jack?

Where would you put Jack?

At weakside linebacker. Then on passing downs you play both him and Jenkins.

Then in round 2, pick a corner.

Or, you can pick a corner in round 1, and either in round 2 or 3 pick a SLB and kick Misi to the curb. Use FA to get an inside backer.

So sad. Such a good kid... How for sure is that he will have nerve damage, just from wearing that?

Here is a little more info on it:

Essentially, it [the AFO - Ankle Foot Orthosis] is a decide to help him walk even if his nerves are not responding as normal. This doesn’t mean that the nerves are dead, but simply that they may not be working properly now. They could “wake up” in the future. They could also stay the way they are indefinitely.

For comparison, it’s worth noting that Peyton Manning had similar issues after his neck surgery—a cervical fusion—and he took a whole year off. The nerve damage took months to heal. Manning still has issues with feeling in his fingers and people have said his arm strength is no longer what it used to be.

While that didn’t stop Manning from breaking all manner of NFL records in 2013, it’s unclear what the impact on Smith would be if he has the same issues in his leg. As a linebacker, speed, power and agility are incredibly important. Even a slight loss could make it impossible for him to play at the elite level that he seems capable of when healthy.

more @ http://www.todayspigskin.com/afc-to...ts-for-dolphins-at-2016-nfl-scouting-combine/

At weakside linebacker. Then on passing downs you play both him and Jenkins.

Then in round 2, pick a corner.

Or, you can pick a corner in round 1, and either in round 2 or 3 pick a SLB and kick Misi to the curb. Use FA to get an inside backer.

Here's my take on that situation from another thread:

The reference to the same responsibilities was in pass coverage only. If Jack and Jenkins are on the field at the same time in our base it puts Jack at Sam and Jenkins at Will. Now there is plenty to love about Jack: great COD, great instincts, effective pass rusher, rare coverage skills. The the issue with him at SLB is b/c the only, but biggest knock on Jack's play is his POA play where he prefers to avoid blocks and go around them using his speed rather than the typical stack and shed techniques needed by strong side players.

You see at UCLA Jack often played 5-6 yards off the LOS and was able to do so b/c of his instinctual play and speed. But in the NFL the OLB's in a 4-3 are lined up closer in generally a 4x4 (4 tech over the offensive tackle & 4 yards off the LOS). The talent and speed of the professional game simply does not allow a LB to play so far off the ball in run defense. This makes Jack best suited for the Will in a 4-3 or an ILB in a 3-4.

In my OP I was trying to point out since we run a 4-3 Jack is best suited for the weakside and we are already 2 deep at that position and are in much need of help at other positions where he does not help us.

In our nickel packages Jack and Jenkins could definitely be on the field at the same time but then we are spending the 8th pick on a situational player. And surely there is a very good possibility that Jack beats out Jenkins for a starting role at Will, but then we are 3 deep at Will with gaping holes throughout the rest of our defense. Potentially a great player but he just really doesn't provide us with the value we need to overhaul our lack of talent from the NT all the way back to the FS.

Shazier plays the wilb in a 34...it doesnt require as much inside read and diag instincts it allows for the athlete which is what shazier still is to do this day to show up so much...shazier i do agree got better this year but hes still very post snap and primary assignment as a lb...and hes still all athlete in coverage no feel for it

hoops what do you think about Deion Jones from LSU in round 2 (if available)? He needs to put on 10-15 lbs, but his stock has been skyrocketing lately.

I'd really be on board with Matakevich in the 3rd and Nick Kwaitkoski in the 4th if he's there. Homer pick being a WVU alum but he's far and away the best Linebacker I have ever seen at WVU his instincts are just off the charts.

for me the draft would go as follows assuming there aren't value picks that slide to us in other positions.

1.cb
2.OL
3.LB
4.LB

the other thing I worry about with jaylon smith is he has a very thin torso...if you project that at mike and adding weight you may scrape the athlete in the process...and im telling you for his level of current inside the box instincts you cannot afford it

maketevich is probably gonna cost you a 3rd round pick even as a 2 down guy unless he just runs an awful like 5.0 number...I think hes more in the mid 4.8s but I don't see anything that projects at mike with real range...you are talking about some average at best to more below average athletes for the nfl

unless something falls in our lap I might just invest a year in a if arm healthy james laurinitus at the $3 mil range...tread water til 2017

I do think Miami is bound to make a move here I just hope they don't overplay it either in the draft or with a bad contract in free agency that we have to wait 3 years to get out of...don't force it

I pound the pavement on the need for a difference making mike as much as anyone but if it's not there it's not there

What's wrong with drafting Jaylon at #8 for Weak and drafting Maketevich in the 3rd for Mike. We're said to be looking for upgrades to 2 LB spots.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't uncomfortable with his injury at #8 but I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't uncomfortable letting a talent like that pass us up. The kid is a player and top 4 in this draft when healthy.

Back
Top Bottom