Dimitri Patterson injured reserve | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dimitri Patterson injured reserve

carrolls played damn well for a #2 cb...i'm not saying he's an all pro in the making but he's made big strides in his awareness and his locating of the football and he's got high end physical tools...i would take that guy as my #2 cb and feel pretty good about it off what i have seen this year...finally hitting his stride

yes you got to worry somewhat about a contract with him but he's not gonna break the bank anyways...and the rookie dbs we picked either can't see the field or shouldn't see it...they haven't proven anything...carrolls tough and he suits up every week...

I feel better about Nolan Carroll's performance over a full season than I ever did about Sean Smith or Vontae Davis. Sean Smith's best year as a Phin was last year, and even then he still rarely made pass breakups. Carroll has at least learned how to play physical and dislodge the football, even though he is not a turnover machine out there.

We need to fix his contract. At 5.5m it's too pricey especially when you drafted Taylor and Davis with Carrol playing so well.

patterson has appeared in 10+ games 4 times in 10 nfl seasons, but injuries are fluky and no one is really injury prone? and you're the one calling people clowns?

Say what you want, injuries are fluky. In most cases it's the luck of the draw. Gronkowski injury prone because someone went low and tore his knee ligaments and he's now been hurt two years in a row? Do you cut him? There are hundreds of examples of situations like this. is Keller injury prone because someone went low and tore his knee? If Brent Grimes got injured this year would he be injury prone? Come on man it's football, its a violent game. you have to EXPECT players to get injured. Not many players play a full season without missing a few games.

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

Carroll in the slot is a recipe for disaster. He has NEVER looked good there. He's better on the boundary where he can man up and go down the field with a guy. Jimmy Wilson has been superb as the nickel/slot guy . . . keep him there.

I think everybody would like to keep Patterson around, but we have a salary cap to deal with and both Grimes and Carroll are Free Agents after the season. If cutting the unreliable Patterson and his 5.5 million next season can help in getting the reliable Grimes and Carroll resigned . . . then that is the move you have to make.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We have given this guy almost 10 million dollars in the past 2 years and I don't even know if he's played a combined 10 quarters for us in that time. Sign your reliable guys, develop your rookies. We aren't keeping all 3 guys (Grimes, Patterson and Carroll).

Up until this year Carroll anywhere on the field was a recipe for disaster. But that's not the case now. I think he'd be fine.

I disagree. While he's been great when he's on the field, you can't draw up a different conclusion than he's injury prone based on the fact he's finished 1 full season in 7 years. He's not all of a sudden as he ages become a healthier guy, odds are the opposite will happen. His present cap hit is definitely too high unless he put a full season together. And as another poster mentioned, not just anybody can cover the slot, and Carroll is pretty awful doing it. Gotta disagree on Reggie too, I'd love to keep everyone bit in a salary cap era gotta use your money smart. Investing in injury prone players, especially at running back isn't the recipe for success.

You guy's act as though it's your money they're spending. last i Checked we are millions under the cap. Plenty of room for Bush. Bush was the ONLY proven playmaker that we had on the offensive side of the ball last year. You keep players like that. And don't talk to me about salary cap numbers. There are ways to get deals done. How can teams like Atlanta have 2 #1 receivers and franchise QB and a Francise TE AND a Franchise RB all on the same damn team? But you're telling me we can't keep Bush, pay Grimes and Patterson? I find that hard to believe.

Too bad Patterson is always hurt, because he was great when healthy, but I do feel good about Carroll now...I would have never typed that early in the season.

I don't think anybody denies that . . . but this has become a chronic thing with him over the last 3 years and change.

Truth is, Jimmy has impressed all season in the nickel, its just the truth and stats and video back that up. He's found a role and he has excelled in it. Nickel is certainly not a position that any CB can fill, but Jimmy fills that role well. I don't care for him much outside of the nickel role, but that is his niche and I am good with that. As far as Carroll, the guy has taken a beaten for the longest time on this board and many times it has come unwarranted. Because he isn't playing like Grimes or even Patterson did this season he needs to be cut and moved on when actually Carroll suits the role as a backup boundary CB quite well and a guy who you can have a little confidence to fill in if need be, which he has more than done this season.

You have to remember, we just drafted 2 CBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds this season . . . if you plan on resigning Grimes and Carroll, and have Wilson under contract, an injury prone guy like Patterson can become expendable and part of his salary could be used to resign these 2 guys with the hope that one of the youngsters can eventually give us some of what Patterson gave us at a lower price . . . or Carroll continuing the upward curve on his play. It beats paying a guy all that money and he can't see the field.

Ideally, I would love to keep them all, but I just don't think that is realistic. Maybe I'm wrong tho.

DID YOU SEE HOW WELL PATTERSON WAS PLAYING?? As good a Carroll is playing, he's nowhere near where Patterson was when he was healthy and to expect the two rookies to be able to play as well as Patterson is foolish. Again, I'm an advocate of accumulating talent, not letting it go. When you project in this league you can get burned as was the case with RB and LT. Jeff Ireland "HOPED" that miller could replace Bush's production..... hasn't been the case. He "Hoped" that J. Martin could make the switch from RT to left Tackle and replace an "Injury Prone" Jake long.... Hasn't been the case. When you have guys on your team that have PROVEN that they can play.... you KEEP and REWARD them. That does two things... A. Makes your team better and B. shows other players that if they do the right things and play their asses off, they'd be rewarded. This makes other players want to work hard and sign here.

Oh and don't get me wrong. I love the way Carroll is playing. Even earlier in the season when people were down on him, i saw that he was in position to make plays and thought he was getting better. He's been a pleasant surprise.... BUT HE'S NOWHERE NEAR WHERE D. Patterson was when he was healthy. Patterson was playing like a true SHUT DOWN CORNER. Just as well as if not better than B. Grimes and THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING.

DID YOU SEE HOW WELL PATTERSON WAS PLAYING?? As good a Carroll is playing, he's nowhere near where Patterson was when he was healthy and to expect the two rookies to be able to play as well as Patterson is foolish. Again, I'm an advocate of accumulating talent, not letting it go. When you project in this league you can get burned as was the case with RB and LT. Jeff Ireland "HOPED" that miller could replace Bush's production..... hasn't been the case. He "Hoped" that J. Martin could make the switch from RT to left Tackle and replace an "Injury Prone" Jake long.... Hasn't been the case. When you have guys on your team that have PROVEN that they can play.... you KEEP and REWARD them. That does two things... A. Makes your team better and B. shows other players that if they do the right things and play their asses off, they'd be rewarded. This makes other players want to work hard and sign here.

I don't think anyone on this board disagrees that Patterson is an amazing talent.

But the guy just can't stay healthy. As previously posted, his total games played has declined each of last 3 years. Toss in Patterson will be 31 next season with a medical wrap sheet that extends to the moon, that $5.5 seems real risky.

Daytona Fin. Is there a story to go with your signature pic? Gotta be. They both look like professionals. I have been curious about this for some time.

Micheal Thomas will take his roster spot next year.

Back
Top Bottom