Direct Tv Retention

Discussion in 'Everything else Miami Dolphins related' started by DolfanISS, Jul 23, 2018.

1. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

Gave me squat so far this year. They say I still have one promotion which hasn't run out yet and they can't help me until it does. Has anyone gotten anything from them yet? Free ticket? I've been able to do better the last 2 years (free and almost free). Just wondering if I'm too early.

I misspelled "Retention", mods can you help?

2. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I told them I was dropping them and switching to Sling and they dropped my Monthly from $120 to $62 a month without any contract.

Agua likes this.
  3. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

I get the ticket free though my X-Box console. That's all I'm saying.

4. danstilldaman

danstilldaman Well-Known Member

I get the nfl ticket for free every year, but it is a hassle about a 45 minute ordeal. If you have fast internet going with a jail broke device is the way to go. My internet service is just to slow or I'd say good bye to directv for good.

kevphin likes this.
  5. Birdmond

Birdmond A True Fan Donator

Yeah I miss the old C-Band wild feeds. I’ll pay for the ticket again but I’m so tired of paying for Direct TV.

6. DrMultimedia

DrMultimedia Doctorate

If they get it on DirecTV Now I'll subscribe, but I ditched my satellite.

7. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I just want to say - **** DirectTV.

retarmyfinfan2 and ladeback like this.
  8. NYC#1finsfan

NYC#1finsfan #1DandyDanFan Finheaven VIP

Just hung up with them and "John" told me that there are no promotions as of yet........

9. gerblack

gerblack That Guy Donator

I use live T.V. from Veiwmorefree only 20 bucks for all US channels and even PPV fights with the Sunday Ticket

10. Aqua ‘N Orange

Aqua ‘N Orange Well-Known Member

You have to wait til your prior promo expires.

11. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

Up here DAZN runs the ticket and it's only 20$ per month...LOL

PrairieDolphin likes this.
  12. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

The NFL run ticket here went up this year, very expensive now and you can only stream it, no tv option.

Alas, if only there were other ways to watch online when the NFL jacks up its price....

13. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy...and let it fly." Finheaven VIP Donator

i called a couple days ago, same thing. I'll call back in three weeks or so and see what they say. I haven't paid for the Ticket in probably ten years.

14. Sherif

Sherif Pro Bowler Donator

It's too soon to call, need to give it 3 more weeks. I have super fast AT&T fiber optic internet at 1000 MBPS download. Even so, streaming live NFL games on Kodi is hit or miss if you find a reliable source. It's not the internet speed that is the problem, it is the massive amounts of hits on the servers that makes free live streaming an unreliable option. I'll get the Ticket again this year, and I won't pay full price, just have to wait until around mid August when DTV starts their NFL ticket promos.

Travis34 likes this.
  15. Shoes

Shoes Well-Known Member

Have had Sunday Ticket since 1997. Never complain about the price because it has so much entertainment value for me.

16. tazthenomad

tazthenomad FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

If you don't have Direct TV and have a relative in college you can get Sunday Ticket for about $100 on the internet with a student package. Another benefit for my having a daughter in college. ;)

crumpdaddy and Phinatic8u like this.
  17. El Calebra

El Calebra Fan Finheaven VIP Donator

I was considering getting an X-Box.
    How does that work? Stream or Directv? Never had one before. TIA

I bitch and moan every year about the Ticket cost. Then my wife will remind me it would cost more to go to one game. That aleives my cheapness for the moment and I just pay the damn thing.
    One thing I don't do is pay incrementally. I would rather pay the whole amount up front and not have my bill go sky high for 6 ****ing months.

DolfanISS likes this.
  18. danstilldaman

danstilldaman Well-Known Member

The key I found over the 20 Years I've had the ticket is to call and complain about cancelling. My key is to never sign a contract that would go over than 1 year. Many years they'd give it to me for free out right. The last 2 seasons I agreed to a 1 year contract for the ticket and red zone for free. Even in the past i had a jackass rep and cancelled my service, just to call right back and get the ticket and movie channels for 6 months free. Just plan on having at least an hour to be on the phone, but it's always worked for me. If you're under contract they have you pretty much in a tough place to negotiate unless you get a good rep.

19. eger

eger Starter

Here's my strategy. I re-up my contract 2 mo before football season every year. I only sign up for 1 year, and usually able to get Sunday Ticket for free. If they give me any pushback I say thanks but no thanks. Then call back to cancel by telling them I will just sign up for Redzone with my cable provider and get my service costs dropped and get NFL Sunday ticket for free.

Tips:

Sign one year contracts
    The longer you are a customer, they better deals you get.

El Calebra likes this.
  20. McMichael

McMichael Seasoned Veteran

So you give them more of your money all at once, instead of holding on to it yourself for longer....Every bank and investor in the world would say that's a terrible idea lol...

21. McMichael

I think El Calebra should try some of this, especially if hes been with them multiple years, could probably save a whole lot of money

El Calebra likes this.
  22. bakerbakerthetdmaker

bakerbakerthetdmaker Banned Hammered

I tried last year. Got flat stonewalled and trust me, I know how to argue. Now, I probably caused that as I've done it every year and they keep a log. Definitely have no choice but to have Sunday ticket especially with Phins only playing at 1pm. Can't just watch whatever they pick for me for 4pm games (if they pick anything at all). Evidently unless there is a double header, CBS shows either shark vacuum infomercials, snowmobiling (a real grabber down here in SFla, or other nonsense). I actually called the head of local programming and wore him out over it. He actually called me back and said they have no option unless it's an official double header.

I'll make them my pm project today and lets see how I do.

23. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat Finheaven VIP

I'm going a different direction:

https://nflst.directv.com/student

Guess who's wife is taking online courses? $100 bucks, baby.

Now the trick is to approach DirecTV with this and say, "Hey. I'm *getting* Sunday Ticket. You want my $100, or you want me to give it to someone else?"

Blackcreekbandit likes this.
  24. Bopkin02

Bopkin02 Seasoned Veteran

I've had direct tv since 1997 and gotten the nfl ticket every year; started getting the baseball package in 2011. Always got great deals on the baseball- sometimes they'd even give me more in credits than the actual baseball package cost(ie - 20$ off a month for a year = $240 but the baseball package only costs $180). Never got good deals on football, maybe $5-10 off per month. Last year they gave me zilch on the baseball, and I NEVER paid anything close to full for baseball; often never even paid half. Since ATT took over customer service has sucked balls. But with baseball, considering the amount of available games it's really nitpicking if you divide the price of the package per game- it's still a steal. I do call up and threaten to cancel, go to supervisors, but in the last two years they do not yield very much. I think it has to do more with ATT- previously Direct TV would always work with me and do something. But really, other than football baseball and the news I pretty much don't watch tv anymore. Netflix has all I need.

25. Gsmack_42

Gsmack_42 A True Fan

I just switched to ATT and you get 42 dollars in saving a month on Direct TV. And I called Direct TV 2 weeks ago about my bill. And ask about the football package, and the lady told me she couldn’t find a charge for it. I ask if it was a promotion, she said no. That it just looks like there not going to change you for it this season. But to call up a week before the season starts to make sure.

26. bakerbakerthetdmaker

They are charging me $300! Oh it's on.

27. 13mademeafan

13mademeafan Member

I've got a way to cut cable all together, PM me if interested...no I'm not selling anything

28. bakerbakerthetdmaker

I called. Had it last year. Got $16 off a month so $84 off. Meh.

29. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

I cancelled them and went to DTVNOW. 50.00 a month and got 3 months free, and a free roku stick. I'll have to see if I'm going to get ST but so glad I made the switch!

30. bakerbakerthetdmaker

Wait. You cancelled who? Take me through it please as I'm exploring all options.

31. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

What is DTV now? And I have cable currently but a HD dish set-up from past satellite service. Can I just get the NFL ticket from direct without a channel package?

32. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

From the website:

Getting Started
    Is NFL SUNDAY TICKET available with DIRECTV NOW?

Ryan Rayhill - Yesterday at 14:53

At this time, NFL SUNDAY TICKET isn't available as a premium option for DIRECTV NOW.

33. BIGTom-

BIGTom- Active Member

Probably won't be an option for DIRECTV NOW until they have the opportunity to renew their contract with the NFL

34. Dolphan7

Dolphan7 Desert Dolphin Finheaven VIP

Bummer about no ST on Directtv Now....
    Was thinking of switching....

35. Blackcreekbandit

Blackcreekbandit Derek Jeter sits when he pees Finheaven VIP Donator

The cheapest option is to use the college student streaming only package. It's 100 bucks for the year. I use a friend I play Playstation online with. He goes to a school in Indiana and let's me use his name. For 100 bucks a year you can't beat it

36. El Calebra

El Calebra Fan Finheaven VIP Donator

I will ask you this. Would you rather pay $300 up front or pay $160 a month for 6 months? I rather get it out of the way. Besides this is different then buying a car with cash. Were talking a measly $300. Be done with it.

I have had Sunday Ticket since its inception. In fact my first season was on a 8' satellite dish.
    I have tried to get breaks on the ticket. So far they have never budged and I too am a negotiator. Of course telling them you are going elsewhere is the best bet. But you better have a better cheaper option. We don't.
    We have DSL and DirectV. We live out in the country. No cable.

37. McMichael

Id much rather pay the 60 a month rather than 300 all at once....You get to hold on to more of your cash for longer, which is never a bad thing and if you invest and/or have opportunities to make profit it is always better to have more.

You don't have to take my word for it though, if you Google how banks work you will see there are multi billion dollar companies that make most of their profit simply by holding on to peoples cash for them....

One more option for that extra cash on hand is to invest it in something that gains in value over time. Gold, silver, antique instruments, well known paintings, antique furniture, antique cars and more all do nothing but increase in value over time

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    crumpdaddy likes this.
  38. McMichael

As to the negotiation, one idea to get a discount would be to threaten to cancel, especially since you've been paying full price for that long. Regardless of cable service in your area, there are many options available (magic box, amazon fire stick, online services) that only require an internet connection. I would mention those options when speaking of cancelling...bet they would love to keep you as a customer and would at least give some type of discount off full price.

39. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I gotta call them up soon and wheel and deal, on top of just not wanting to pay $300 last year for it cause kids were getting more expensive, I sure as heck wasn't paying $300 for a cutler lead team...that was actually the excuse I told them when I cancelled it.

but in reference to your post about the financial aspects, me personally I would almost just go ahead and pay the $300 myself and get it over with, get my regular bill back to where it was. but my company does a savings program, you can sign up to have X amount of dollars taken out of your check each week then in November you receive the one lump sum check. a lot of people who are bad about saving use this option... I did it twice in my 19 years, once I pulled it out by april for some reason, and then my first year married I pulled it out for my summer vacation trip. but its a good idea, some people this is their Christmas savings, ive known of other people who use this to save for their property taxes. but the crazy thing is hearing some of the people bitch about "the company is just trying to make money off us, they are drawing interest off what we save" "if all of us combined are putting back 1000's of dollars a month, think what the company is making off us, they are not doing it for us, they are doing it for them" Like dumbasses we are one of the top manufacturing companies in the US and export worldwide not an investment brokerage or bank, do you really think the company gives a damn about making $500 a year in interest off of their Christmas savings programs.

but yes anyone that pays the directv the $300 up front, im sure DTV makes an extra $2 off the ticket than those who pay installments, I don't invest so it doesn't really matter to me, I don't even know what my 401k investments are or even how much is in it, it could be $0 with me have lost everything or heck it could be a million (doubtful but dang).

but me I just like to pay and get it over with, just work a couple extra hours OT on a Saturday and be thru with it

McMichael likes this.
  40. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

I cancelled direct tv (satellite service) and signed up with Directv Now (streaming service). It's DIRECTV's live tv streaming service similar to Hulu.