Do we draft more offensive lineman? Or go through free agency? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do we draft more offensive lineman? Or go through free agency?

Miami could potentially sign a F/A LT and wait until the draft to take another, on day 2 or 3? That'll leave open other options in round one, such as WR or LB? And if they ever take a RB high enough could push another OL selection till, the mid rounds?

IMO we must sign a Veteran LT and C,with starting experience. Then we need a OLine Coach with experience. Its useless draft OLine high again,BCS we fail alltime

I looked up the upcoming free agents of all offensive lineman. Who would you guys take? Or do you continue to have faith in Grier to build through the draft.....again.

View attachment 89162
sign a few vets in FA and next years draft should be 3 or 4 OL, 2 or 3 Lb and 1 rb or WR
i don't want to see any TE's or DB's in next yrs draft

None of the above. Return all the starters and pray it works out.

jk.

There's a chance a legit LT prospect could be available when they pick. Penning or Cross for example in round 1. Way more pedigree than Jackson ever had coming out college.

In free agency, I would target Connor Williams for guard. Yes, this year he leads the league in penalties, but his previous 3 years the highest amount he has had was 6.
His pass blocking this year is top 4 looking at Pass Rush Success Rate, and was only 0.2% off from the leader.

His one weakness is the bigger bullrushing DTs. But he is an athletic quicker guard who can get to the second level. Will be 25 when the 2022 season rolls around so knock on wood he should be in his prime for most of his second deal.

For center maybe get a short term FA again and double down in the draft.

RG is Hunt and maybe this time try Eich at RT again but this time just keep him there?

I'm leaning FA over draft. Our coaches do not seem to have the ability to train linemen so getting some (non-bargin bin) veterans should help.

I would also not be surprised if vets could act as surrogate coaches for our young linemen. Since our coaches can't cut it, maybe watching the habits of established players will help develop the younger guys. They were good in college, no reason that all of them just magically stink now. There has to be talent buried in some of them.

sign a few vets in FA and next years draft should be 3 or 4 OL, 2 or 3 Lb and 1 rb or WR
i don't want to see any TE's or DB's in next yrs draft
Seriously? How many linemen do you think we can roster, or even properly evaluate in one year.

I know ppl are upset, and ready to basically sell their souls for an effective line, but at some point common sense has to prevail.

Unless we get a competant O-line coach, the rest is meaningless.

What Miami needs is somebody different selecting o-linemen (Draft and Free Agency) because their recent history in this area has been pitiful. They keep spending 1st round picks on o-linemen who turn out to be JAGs. (Tunsil included; no matter what you think of his play, he was still a liability due to his amount of penalties.) Also, what good has it done for Miami to have two or three 1st round picks on the o-line, yet still struggle to protect the QB and convert 3rd or 4th and short on the ground? Every year it's the same thing; Miami's o-line needs fixing. This suggests that even though coaching may have some effect, Miami keeps picking the WRONG linemen! Other teams can find perfectly capable linemen in the middle rounds or even later in the draft and put at least an average o-line on the field. Give the Fins 5 average o-linemen and it would be a HUGE improvement!

IMO, o-linemen should be old-school; nasty, tough, and physically dominating. Everything went downhill when Philbin wanted "finesse" wussies. Free Agent Incognito was Philbin's best lineman (Jake Long was injured and done for), but Philbin didn't want him so Richie went on to become a Pro Bowler as a Buffalo Bill. Gase's o-line probably allowed more tackles in the backfield than any other team in history. And I hate to say it, but this current o-line is probably the worst of them all when it comes to protecting the QB!

We have to if the opportunity is there. We obviously have issues at both tackles. But more than that, Grier needs to learn how to draft tackles, that's very important too.

Agree. Judging from the past, most of those top offensive linemen won't actually hit free agency.

Meaning, like it or not, Grier may have to draft his way out of this mess.

Hopefully, Miami will be able to sign the top free agent offensive lineman available.
Top tier tackles rarely hit FA, but that doesn't mean there won't be solid players available.

I really don't like the idea of spending another rd1 on the line, but I'm not going to scream bloody murder either.

I looked up the upcoming free agents of all offensive lineman. Who would you guys take? Or do you continue to have faith in Grier to build through the draft.....again.

View attachment 89162
Regardless of who is calling the shots, I believe we need to do both. Part of our problem they share in my opinion is the purge of veteran players last spring. Specifically to the overall I think we miss Flowers A lot more than we thought we would, mainly due his veteran presence. I believe we need someone similar that could take over as the OL leader.
To finish up, I think it's a good habit to draft at least one offense of lineman per draft for depth.

Seriously? How many linemen do you think we can roster, or even properly evaluate in one year.

I know ppl are upset, and ready to basically sell their souls for an effective line, but at some point common sense has to prevail.

Unless we get a competant O-line coach, the rest is meaningless.
i agree with the coach but if we draft 4 ol and 2 turn out to be good that means i don't need to see Jesse Davis in a dolphin uniform anymore.
if we sign a decent lineman in FA and we hit on a pick or 2 hopefully 3/5 of our line are replaced.
i'm not saying we roster more lineman but just bring in new ones.

i agree with the coach but if we draft 4 ol and 2 turn out to be good that means i don't need to see Jesse Davis in a dolphin uniform anymore.
if we sign a decent lineman in FA and we hit on a pick or 2 hopefully 3/5 of our line are replaced.
i'm not saying we roster more lineman but just bring in new ones.
So you are convinced every one of our current guys are trash?

See, I'm not.

Back
Top Bottom