Do we have a better team this year or last year? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do we have a better team this year or last year?

Can't say for sure yet, but I'm hoping and thinking it will be better. There's a lot of reasons for optimism (and yes even some for pessimism) but I like what we've done as a team this offseason. Sparano's coaching blunders and Marshall's dropsies cost us about 3 games last year, so maybe with that out of the picture, we'll improve by that much. The schedule should help our cause as well. Time will tell.

I started some threads on this subject on some other sites after the 2nd day of the draft.

"Even with Ryan Tannehill sitting the whole season we are already better then we were last season. We have closed the wide open door on the right side of our OL. Matt Moore will have a full season including OTAs and training camp to be ready. Whoever is our QB they will not have to pick themselves up off the ground as much and will have more chances to look downfield.Losing Marshall and drafting J Martin at RT has now allowed C Gates to come into his own (Moore will now have the time to hit Gates on long passes). At TE we have become a better team because Fasano etc will no longer have to stay in and cover for Colombo."

I do not even think this is close, we are so much better then last year's team. A lot of our team is young (all our WRs, corners, safeties etc) and should be improved with another season under their belt.

It's late so I'll finish this with this point. First, I think our overall coaching staff is much better then last years but almost or as important, last year's whole team lived under the blade of the axe. Everyone was thinking all of the time, when was Tony Sparano going to get fired. And with him would go most of the other coaches and maybe some of the players.

Having new coaches and a "new start" has taken a HUGE MONKEY off of this team's back.

:madness:

Last edited by a moderator:
If "team" means a group of players with the guidance of a coaching staff, then it´s hard to say.

First we're in May and until now players have few feedback with Joe Philbin and his coaching staff.
During 2011 the situation in May was worse as nobody knew what the new playbook would look like, today every QB in the roster is learning the offense and has feedback from Sherman and Philbin, while receivers are trying to be on the same page.

Second there's a strong difference between WCO and "creative" offense of Daboll.
Brian Daboll tried to build a complex combination of passing and running schemes that lasted about 6 games to pan out in his offense. Philbin knows he won't have perfect execution on the first games, but also has a solid idea about how much can be handled on the first weeks of 2012 season. So this team will be better on the first games.

Third we are having good OTA's and conditioning programs.
Our team was unprepared for 2011 season, important guys in the defense like Karlos Dansby, Vontae Davis and Sean Smith were out of shape when they arrived to training camps. It was a shame to watch our CB suffering cramps in the first three games. That won't repeat.

Fourth we don't have the names but we have the required talent.
We lose Brandon Marshall and Chad Henne. But according to GM Jeff Ireland none of them will be missed. I think BM was the obvious target for defenders and without him, defenses will add a lot of pass rush, which could affect our execution in a big way. Philbin needs to forge a good offense in the few months we have until the start of the season.

Nope. Pretty much the same team aside from the rookies who probably won't contribute much since they have a lot of developing to do aside from Martin. On the flip side, we lose Brandon Marshall leaving us with the worst WR group in the league. Matt Moore will prove why he's a backup QB. ANother mediocre season coming no doubt.

If "team" means a group of players with the guidance of a coaching staff, then it´s hard to say.

First we're in May and until now players have few feedback with Joe Philbin and his coaching staff.
During 2011 the situation in May was worse as nobody knew what the new playbook would look like, today every QB in the roster is learning the offense and has feedback from Sherman and Philbin, while receivers are trying to be on the same page.

Second there's a strong difference between WCO and "creative" offense of Daboll.
Brian Daboll tried to build a complex combination of passing and running schemes that lasted about 6 games to pan out in his offense. Philbin knows he won't have perfect execution on the first games, but also has a solid idea about how much can be handled on the first weeks of 2012 season. So this team will be better on the first games.

Third we are having good OTA's and conditioning programs.
Our team was unprepared for 2011 season, important guys in the defense like Karlos Dansby, Vontae Davis and Sean Smith were out of shape when they arrived to training camps. It was a shame to watch our CB suffering cramps in the first three games. That won't repeat.

Fourth we don't have the names but we have the required talent.
We lose Brandon Marshall and Chad Henne. But according to GM Jeff Ireland none of them will be missed. I think BM was the obvious target for defenders and without him, defenses will add a lot of pass rush, which could affect our execution in a big way. Philbin needs to forge a good offense in the few months we have until the start of the season.
M

Me thinks you just made some good points why we are a better team this year, lol.

:rimshot:

I would say its about even if we are just talking about pysical talent.

If we are including coaching and players' potential in this conversation, then obviously I would say we are better this year.

I think it's going to all come down to our receivers. If we can get production from this group, we should be better. Way to early to tell.

Nope. Pretty much the same team aside from the rookies who probably won't contribute much since they have a lot of developing to do aside from Martin. On the flip side, we lose Brandon Marshall leaving us with the worst WR group in the league. Matt Moore will prove why he's a backup QB. ANother mediocre season coming no doubt.

Sure... We don't need to play this season... All teams playing against the Dolphins already know they can shut down the receivers, blitz all night the backup "wannabe" starter QB so they rather not play to humiliate us and and force us to forfeit the game..

Any believers here?

I think it's going to all come down to our receivers. If we can get production from this group, we should be better. Way to early to tell.

As long as you have solid QB play you can get good play out of your receivers. Great QB's make their average receivers look good and make their good receivers look great.

I am just hoping the QB play goes up a notch or two this season, it is long over due and with that the rest will follow.

Tough call talent wise. We lost Y. Bell, B. Marshall, W. Allen, J. Taylor, K. Langford, V. Carey. That's a lot of proven talent, production and leadership that's no longer on the roster. Also, Nolen was a proven commodity at Def Coord. We might end up with a better record this year due to using different schemes and being better prepared when the season starts and we got a little younger but I have a hard time believing that we are better, talent wise, this year.

It's a hard call at this point but there is alot more potential for success. Starting with the coaching staff. Players will be developed better and our receivers will have to step up on the learning curve for the new offense. We're gonna suffer our lumps at the beginning but we will be alright by mid season.

Back
Top Bottom