Do we keep Starks or Soliai? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do we keep Starks or Soliai?

Oh, and while you're at it, two outstanding starting-caliber defensive tackles are possibly hitting free agency. You almost definitely cannot sign both because, well, that would require a huge salary cap commitment. Neither are going to come cheap because aside form being good, marketable players who'll be in demand, both Starks and Soliai went through 2013 somewhat peeved they didn't get a contract extension. So they're not going to give the Dolphins a huge discount -- certainly Starks is not. Soliai may come cheaper because he loves South Florida and really, really doesn't want to leave.
But his agent, David Canter, will try to make it as hard as possible for Soliai to accept a hometown discount by drumming up as much interest for his client as he can because, well, he also was peeved an extension wasn't done in 2013.
Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...e-you-find-yourself-cringi.html#storylink=cpy

we definitely don't need to switch back to 3-4 just because Jordan may be better in it. He has never been elite in college and I doubt he would be elite in the pros just because we went 3-4

As usual loud and completely wrong! Not to mention seeing only the pee whole and not the whole bowl!

As usual loud and completely wrong! Not to mention seeing only the pee whole and not the whole bowl!

Please explain how im wrong? You may not agree with my opinion but how is it wrong.

Please explain how im wrong? You may not agree with my opinion but how is it wrong.

Sorry, your right I should of said that differently. I completely disagree with your assessment of not only D. Jordan! But, also our team not being more suited to play a 3-4 base defense over the current 4-3.

Sorry, your right I should of said that differently. I completely disagree with your assessment of not only D. Jordan! But, also our team not being more suited to play a 3-4 base defense over the current 4-3.

Im not really arguing which we are more suited to. I prefer the 4-3 and this is the defense our coordinator seems to want. I do stand by that Jordan has shown nothing special that we should change our whole defense to. He will get destroyed versus the run whichever defense we run.
We shall see on Jordan I think he is one of those guys that people get wrapped up on what they think instead of what they actually see. People mention the few nice rushes but ignore all the plays he was no factor at all in or played badly.

I could really flip a coin on this one. I like Starks on an overall basis...he is a good player. However, I think Soliai is a beast against the run which is something we need to plug up the middle. I will be both disappointed and happy with whichever way we go. If I absolutely had to pick, I would like go with Soliai.

It's a pretty tough decision because they both have different strengths. Pity that we probably can't keep both at lower amounts.
It probably gets down to evaluating who has the most gas left in the tank. My hunch is that maybe Starks.

Im not really arguing which we are more suited to. I prefer the 4-3 and this is the defense our coordinator seems to want. I do stand by that Jordan has shown nothing special that we should change our whole defense to. He will get destroyed versus the run whichever defense we run.
We shall see on Jordan I think he is one of those guys that people get wrapped up on what they think instead of what they actually see. People mention the few nice rushes but ignore all the plays he was no factor at all in or played badly.

Still missing the point and failing to connect the dots! Who said changing the entire defense because of JUST D.Jordan??

Still missing the point and failing to connect the dots! Who said changing the entire defense because of JUST D.Jordan??

The only dot I connect with Jordan is overdrafted guy that I wouldn't take with the 12th pick last year.

It's a pretty tough decision because they both have different strengths. Pity that we probably can't keep both at lower amounts.
It probably gets down to evaluating who has the most gas left in the tank. My hunch is that maybe Starks.

I think Starks is the better football player and much more versatile. I personally think he has earned the extension over Solai if we must choose one.

I'd prefer to keep Soliai. Think it's easier to find a disruptive DT than bull like Soliai. Starks is better, and older, but Soliai is harder to find.

I'd be curious to see how both rated out last year.

There are a couple of sites that rate players by position.

Regardless of how bad the two middle lb'ers played,

neither of those two guys played anywhere near as good as they did the year before.

It sounds like Miami has roughly $30 million to spend. If they cut Moore and Patterson that would add about $9 million. I like both players, but I'd let them both go. Patterson is too injury-prone and Moore is not a real good fit for this offense. Philibin likes Devlin and I think he could be the backup or the team can draft a qb later in the draft.

With $39 million, the Dolphins could easily sign Starks, Soliai, Grimes and Clemens with enough money left over to get some FA help on the offensive line or perhaps get another shutdown corner. Then Miami could really concentrate on improving the offense in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom