Do we need to Draft Offensive Line high again? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do we need to Draft Offensive Line high again?

Well that's different tho. If he leaves then of course we'd need another center but I think he'll want to stay so if the price is right for both then I'd bring him back. He was voted team captain and he's clearly one of the leaders on the team already.
He signed a one year deal over more money to prove himself. He wants to be paid. If you believe (which i dont) that we should sign him long term, why would he now accept a lesser contract with us?
Being a captain means little to me. Isn't JD a captain too? He's 6th man on my envisioned Oline.

Id grab Abraham Lucas if he’s there in the 3rd or possibly the OC from Ohio St. Nothing on the OL earlier

1a WR
1b LB
2a RB
2b S (or double up on LB)
3 RT or OC (or double up on WR)
4 DT

He signed a one year deal over more money to prove himself. He wants to be paid. If you believe (which i dont) that we should sign him long term, why would he now accept a lesser contract with us?
Being a captain means little to me. Isn't JD a captain too? He's 6th man on my envisioned Oline.
well of course he'll want to get paid but we've been able to get some players deals that are good for the team. We'll see what happens with him and how much it'll take. All I'm saying is Karras is the least of the problems on that O-line and if you want him gone then you better have a replacement in place that will be at least as good as him or better.

No we don't. Stop trying to build the "perfect" line cause it's not going to happen. Get Tua some real play makers and let these 3 rookies learn and play together. Also, stop trying to replace Karras, he's been our most consistent Oline guy all year. I'm not saying don't draft an O-line guy but don't do it till the 3rd day. Actually, it'd be way better if they get one in free agency and the line is already very young so a veteran could help that room.

You can't draft 3 guys and then after 10 games say we need to get more corn. You need to give them some time or else, the O-line will never get a chance to play together long enough to where they're all on the same page.
Personally, I like Karras. I would prefer that Miami signs him long-term.

Agree, look to add competition in the middle rounds. That said, if a major update falls into your lap why not?

Id grab Abraham Lucas if he’s there in the 3rd or possibly the OC from Ohio St. Nothing on the OL earlier

1a WR
1b LB
2a RB
4 DT
I like that strategy. Lucas and Meyer would be nice late second, early third choices.

Personally, I like Karras. I would prefer that Miami signs him long-term.

Agree, look to add competition in the middle rounds. That said, if a major update falls into your lap why not?
because we need help at WR,RB,LB,Pass rusher and another WR way more than we need corn

It certainly is a possibility with the struggles within the run game. I wouldn't be surprised if they took another Offensive Lineman high in the draft.

because we need help at WR,RB,LB,Pass rusher and another WR way more than we need corn
I get that. But strange things happen sometimes in the NFL draft and you've got to be flexible and put talent over need.

Say Sewell drops to that Houston pick at 9 or 11, wherever it falls, don't you take him? I know that's probably a bad example because he won't drop that far, but you get the point.

1a WR
1b LB
2a RB
4 DT
Lucas is my #1 OL target... a natural RT with LT feet and speed.

Considering that our QB is left handed, this guy screams 'take me'.

I would still be on the look-out for an OL in the top of the draft. I think Karras has been good for us this year even if he is not a dominant center but how much $$$ will he want? Flowers has been good as well until recently where he has not been good at all for the last two games. The three rookies have been a pleasant surprise because of where they were drafted but still inconsistent and deserve time. The question is "how far are they willing to go with that idea"?

Kindley taken at 4:5, Hunt had higher expectations at 2:7, Many thought Jackson was a reach or need pick at 1:18 but like I said, they have all had their moments.

Not many positions on this team are beyond reproach to where they couldn't use and upgrade or competition. Some questions I have been asking myself as I go through next years crop and where they are ranked...

If you get to our first pick (could be anywhere from 5-13) and Sewell is sitting there do you pass on him? Could they play him on Tua's blind side? Move Jackson? The contract they gave Davis says they have no plans to replace him in 2021. He has a 4.58M cap hit with 2M dead hit. Chances are good that Cincy grabs him to protect Burrows.

Jackson, as a first rounder needs some work but I wouldn't pass on a rookie upgrade if they fit the bill.
Flowers contract is tough (10M) but I wouldn't hesitate to bench him if the poor play continues. Neither will Flores. A rookie upgrade is the cheap way to go.
The other contract that stings a bit is Davis. Still would send him to the bench if the only option is to play guard as Hunt is holding his own or is at least equal at RT. I don't like Davis as a guard. Not a killer amount of $ even if he is the 6th lineman since he can play LT or RT in a pinch.

Last year we though we had a good rookie (Calhoun) for a time but he was sent packing after one year.

What if we get to our pick (if its around 11 or 12) and the WR's we like are gone? Chase is likely to fall early and Waddle could go higher than some anticipate like Ruggs who was the first WR off the board at 12.

Seems to me they need to everything in their power to make Tua successful. As Fitz explained to Tua, sometimes you don't have time to get to your 3rd progression and just have to throw it up. We have so many receivers that rely on winning with contested catches. Parker, Williams, Hollins, Gesicki, etc. They all have decent speed but are not twitchy and getting a lot of separation or run after catch yards.

Seems to me we need a different type of receiver. Someone like Waddle. I don't see JaMarr Chase (or Bateman) as all that different even though he may be dynamic in some areas. DeVonta Smith can get open but he doesn't have the speed of a Ruggs or Waddle and he is rail thin. Then we get into they other guys like Olave and Moore who are small or skinny. Maybe a Amon-Ra St. Brown in round two as a slot option.

Could also be a good reason to hang on to Albert Wilson next year if we have to develop someone.

I guess I got off topic but what I'm trying to say is there are situations where OL may be the best option available to help Tua....in pass pro and the running game. Right now we sit at 11 and 22. Edge is a huge ??? next year in the draft. Very limited blue chip ILB & RB.

Trade down at 11 in the right scenario? Humphrey, Zaven Collins or Wyatt Davis at 22?

Just thinking out loud I guess.

Last edited:
Even though you presented that as a stream of consciousness, it made sense to me.

You are doing something here that many do not, you are presenting all of the thoughts and all of the options that we have.

So many here just micro-focus on one or two options and then swear we have to pick one of them.

well of course he'll want to get paid but we've been able to get some players deals that are good for the team. We'll see what happens with him and how much it'll take. All I'm saying is Karras is the least of the problems on that O-line and if you want him gone then you better have a replacement in place that will be at least as good as him or better.
Its not a matter of i want him gone. I think he is servicable but not strong. I don't think he is worth what he will be asking for. I know we have 2 rookies starting at T but to me right up center is our weak point. Jackson and hunt are only going to get better. TK is what he is.
Give me creed (wanted him last year), hill, Lindstrom on a rookie contract and jackson/hunt in their 2nd year with off-season and TC and pre season.

I agree with those exact needs. I'm just not ready to invest big money in a salary cap down year on a center like TK. Thats not where you put big FA money.

I agree with those exact needs. I'm just not ready to invest big money in a salary cap down year on a center like TK. Thats not where you put big FA money.
I agree center is not where you put your big money.

Its not a matter of i want him gone. I think he is servicable but not strong. I don't think he is worth what he will be asking for. I know we have 2 rookies starting at T but to me right up center is our weak point. Jackson and hunt are only going to get better. TK is what he is.
Give me creed (wanted him last year), hill, Lindstrom on a rookie contract and jackson/hunt in their 2nd year with off-season and TC and pre season.
I like some of those players too but here's my question......would you draft a center over WR,LB,Pass rusher and RB?....as we both agree those are our biggest needs then you don't even think about drafting a center till the 3rd round at the earliest imo. I know I wouldn't unless a center is all you're missing. Just like you spend your big money at other positions in free agency, you also use your high picks at other positions instead of center. I think we can win with Karras at center but we won't get far with the WR's and RB's we have.

Back
Top Bottom