Do You Guys Care?? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do You Guys Care??

ChambersOwnz84 said:
I don't get your point. Me saying that MY personal wants are more important to ME than a message board that's not mine kills you? :huh:

Point is... you've posted over 5000 times here in just over a year.
Seems as though this place really is pretty important to you. Think of it this way, how much would you miss it if it were gone?

Not saying it will be if you don't give $84/year... and no, the "majority" can't/won't pay it. However... we're not looking for the "majority" to do so. 24 members out of 4000 is hardly a majority.
Advertising. We'd love to get more for advertising. That's been a goal all along. We do manage a few $'s here and there thru ads, but the fact of the matter is, that is easier said than done. Most major advertisers are reluctant to place ads on message boards. If you have any ideas on how we can gain more advertising revenue... PLEASE let us know.

As far as shelling out money for a jersey, or the site. Well... basketball would be a bad example to use with me (staff or not) since I could care less about the sport..... however, would I rather spend $70 on a signed Larry Csonka jersey, or $84/ year for this site.... well... IF a signed Larry Csonka jersey became available at that price, I'd probably snatch that up, and at least delay the premium membership cost... but I'd also send in the difference ($14) just to contribute to a site that I spend a LOT of time enjoying at (mostly) someone else's expense....

I'm one of the mods that isn't a premium member and I try to compensate by giving as much time as I can back to the site and trying to put forth an effort for a radio show, etc. (which will be airing weekly in the fall), so I'll keep it brief.

Find me an unofficial football team message board that is as big as this, bet you cant, I have yet to find one site solely dedicated to a team with this many people. Bandwith costs money, and with 500 registered members checking in, AND members of the media AND "guests" (could even be players!), it's gonna cost money. I may not be good at math, but how AJ keeps this site up, I cant figure out how he does it, seems mathematically impossible.

CO84...what size shoe are you? if you have some real good basketball shoes that you get tired of, hook me up, I cant afford my own new shoes right now, and I need casual shoes and high-tops, im a size 13. I've worn the same casual shoes for about 4 years and they are on their last breath.

Thanks

Terry Tate

LIQUID24 said:
Not to nitpick here, but aren't there way more than 7 Premium Members? I know I've seen more than 7 ppl with the "premium member" tag (that's not including the mods).

Anyway, while I'll probably not become a premium member anytime soon, I WILL donate some money. I'll probably give like $10 bucks or something, twice a year. I'll chip in when I can.

I do appreciate this site. It's hard to get intelligent Dolphin talk anywhere alse.

There were more than 7.... those that did not re-up their membership from last year, were able to keep the "award" sign... those that did re-up, got the fancy "2X" sign....

As for you donating whatever you can.... THANK YOU!!!!!

That's all we're asking for those that don't want to or can't become premium members....

this site costs a lot of money to run and i know first hand about the bandwidth costs alone.

By next month hopefully ill cough over the 84 bucks..

btw i know there are more than 7 premium members..there has to be.

edit

oh so the 2x people are the only currnet premium ppl...i get it.

Are these not legitimate options?

1) Charge everyone who uses the site a modest membership fee. I think people will pay to join this board. $.99 seems to low. Why not ask for $5.00 from everyone?
2) Sell more advertising and have the advertisers pay for cost of the site. This is what many sites are doing. With the amount of visitors you are attracting you should be able to sell advertising - (just stay away from pop-up ads).
3) Become a fantasy league site. Fish fans would gladly run our leagues here if you had a good fantasy site.

FiN.in.RI said:
this site costs a lot of money to run and i know first hand about the bandwidth costs alone.

By next month hopefully ill cough over the 84 bucks..

btw i know there are more than 7 premium members..there has to be.

edit

oh so the 2x people are the only currnet premium ppl...i get it.

FANTASTIC!!!! THANKS!!!

Technically... the 2X people are "second year" premies.... meaning the've been premies for two years....

New England Fin said:

1) Charge everyone who uses the site a modest membership fee. I think people will pay to join this board. $.99 seems to low. Why not ask for $5.00 from everyone?
2) Sell more advertising and have the advertisers pay for cost of the site. This is what many sites are doing. With the amount of visitors you are attracting you should be able to sell advertising - (just stay away from pop-up ads).
3) Become a fantasy league site. Fish fans would gladly run our leagues here if you had a good fantasy site.

Good ideas...

1: We don't want to make it a "mandatory" pay site... no matter how low the fee may be....

2: See my above post:
wharfrat said:
We'd love to get more for advertising. That's been a goal all along. We do manage a few $'s here and there thru ads, but the fact of the matter is, that is easier said than done. Most major advertisers are reluctant to place ads on message boards. If you have any ideas on how we can gain more advertising revenue... PLEASE let us know.

3: Fantasy league for premium members is already in the works ;)

New England Fin said:

#1 doesnt seem like an option because people would simply stop joining up at the rate that they are. If i was required t odonate even a dollar to a forum, I wouldnt do it, not because I cant afford that, but because a) I dont have paypal and b) dont have a credit card...and if i did I wouldnt put forth the effort to send an online transaction, thats just how lazy I can get and thats how lazy people can be. It would be a "whatever" attitude.

#2 seems like a last resort in my opinion. It doesnt seem right that something this good and free doesnt have more advertising. What makes this site so unique is that there arent ads everywhere that tarnish the cleanliness of the site, it's appearance right now is outstanding. Adding an ad would be like adding a scar. AJ is totally against having advertising all over the page, surely we have ads for dol-fan related material (tickets, jerseys) and a couple misc. ads here or there, but we could have more, but the site wouldnt look as great. However at the rate the site is going it could become more of an option.

#3 is the best option that you listed NewEngland Fin. And it's something that we could consider.

thanks for your ideas and :welcome: to the forum.

We are really not talking about a lot of money here. The original post said that 24 members paying the $84.00 would keep the site on the Internet. That's only $2016.00 per year. So even a few ads should cover the cost. It would not have to clutter the site.
Here are some advertising ideas:
1. Local Miami companies that have an interest in Dolphins football.
2. Businesses around or near the stadium. (restaurants, hotels, tc.)
3. Promote Fin Heaven products - hats, shirts, etc. Are there any of these available in the Fan Store?

Also, does the site make any money from the Fan Store? If not, it definitely should.

At some point I will when can afford it donate to this site, it is well worth it. Unfortunately right now cannot afford it, I have a family and times are tough in Ohio, no raise in 3 years, home repairs have killed me this year as I have an old house. My son is involved in activities that require money. Not complaining, just stating that it isnt easy all the time. I appreciate everything AJ and all involved have done, this is a great site and will do what I can as soon as I can.

Back
Top Bottom