Does anyone else see defensive tackle as a problem? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does anyone else see defensive tackle as a problem?

No we have the youth and all we really need is to sign Sam Adams to a nice 2 yr deal. You always need depth at that position and Vonnie Holiday will not be a DT in our Scheme. If anything on a third and long it will Kevin Carter who is much bigger and alot of experince at the position. I am not sold on Vickerson, But I think Wright will be a very good starter in the future. DT position does not worry me like other positions do.

I nice stud DT is a priority indeead. Traylor at his age can't give you sustained high caliber play for a whole season anymore. Sam Adams would be solid stop gap option, but a stud tackle that collapses the pocket on the inside is a must. If for some reason we get lucky in the draft and (the options are limited) a stud DT were to fall to us, we would be set for years.

What nice DT's in the draft are available?

PALMA said:
I nice stud DT is a priority indeead. Traylor at his age can't give you sustained high caliber play for a whole season anymore. Sam Adams would be solid stop gap option, but a stud tackle that collapses the pocket on the inside is a must. If for some reason we get lucky in the draft and (the options are limited) a stud DT were to fall to us, we would be set for years.

What nice DT's in the draft are available?

haloti ngata.... if that is all possible for him to fall to us

DorsalPhin said:
I was thinkin' Bunkley or Watson if no Sam Adams

If he is there at #16, he would be very hard to pass up (even if we sign Adams).

He could be the DT/NT foundation for years to come.

Bunkley is a monster! He was one rep shy of the combine record on the bench press. Runs like a 4.9 40, at that size he is spectacular.

The more I read about Bunkley the more I begin to salavate!! He, Manny Wright, Vickerson, and Roth become instant foundations to our d-line....

Adam First said:
Vickerson and Manny Wright are the future at the position.

Exactly. They will be able to handle it between them as backups this year.

it is among the least of our problems. You would love to have a pro bowler at every position and a young promising player backing him up.........but that just isn't reality. But we are just as close to that utopian idea at DT as we are at any other postion on our team.

I do believe it is a concern.​
  • Coach Saban's defensive philosophy is to stop the run first; inside out.
  • Our current starting nose tackles are 35+.
  • One of Coach Saban's spoken goals for this offseason was to get 'younger' on Defense.
  • One of the initial FA targets was Maake Kemoeatu (Ravens).
  • Another target was Justin Bannan (Bills).
Unfortunately, young DT talent suited for our scheme is hard to come by in FA.

Truck and Zgonina played admirably last season but the position needs to be upgraded if we are going to have a dominate Defense.

PALMA said:
The more I read about Bunkley the more I begin to salavate!! He, Manny Wright, Vickerson, and Roth become instant foundations to our d-line....

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding......yup!

I see us using our first pick to get the best defensive lineman available or maybe trading down a couple picks and still getting a stud lineman.

Ark139954 said:
manny wright is the best dt/nt on our team next year

Which is why we need to sign somebody that can play the NT in a 3-4 other than Traylor. Wright may be big but he's not capable of filling the role of a run stuffer and someone that eats up blockers.

Gabe Watson could be an option if Miami is able to trade down a little in the first. The CB group is VERY deep in the draft. Watson has the size and power to dominate the middle of the line of srimmage, his effort is very sporadic and the effort put out on the field by these Miami players under Saban is contagious. I believe Watson would not have an "effort" problem if he is drafted by Miami.

Gabe Watson and Keith Traylor splitting time at NT would be keeping both fresh and the goalline defense would be VERY dominant on the ground.

The more I think about Miami's draft decisions, the more I REALLY like Gabe Watson at #16.

everybody wants to play 3-4 and yet good NT's are a rare as good QB's

we could spend a 7 on a huge project NT

Gabe Watson is too big a risk to go #16, that Texas DT would be a better pick

Back
Top Bottom