Dolphin Team Report | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphin Team Report

LostInPatsLand

Pro Bowler
Joined
Mar 19, 2004
Messages
1,502
Reaction score
49
Age
47
Good article. Guess who wrote it? A friend of some people's on this board...Jason Cole.
 

Sherif

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Joined
May 1, 2002
Messages
5,151
Reaction score
317
Location
Greensboro, NC
I didn't know Tillman and T Bucky jones were our safety's. I thought they'd convert one of our corners. Either way whoever couldn't be as bad as Arturo Freeman though I thought Sammy Knight was average. Yaremia Bell is also a Safety.
 

chillin6776

Starter
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
212
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Sherif said:
I didn't know Tillman and T Bucky jones were our safety's. I thought they'd convert one of our corners. Either way whoever couldn't be as bad as Arturo Freeman though I thought Sammy Knight was average. Yaremia Bell is also a Safety.
what was wrong with freeman???? all he did was intercept the ball whenever he was in............
 

Lukin

Colbert '08
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
946
Reaction score
0
Age
39
Location
Kentucky
Surely Saban wouldn't move Taylor and/or Thomas just because they lack his ideal size...
 

painnotpleasure

Hall Of Famer
Joined
Aug 2, 2004
Messages
6,948
Reaction score
4
Location
Maryland
Saban said he would still welcome RB Ricky Williams to the Dolphins despite the team drafting RB Ronnie Brown with the No. 2 overall selection. While that sounds good for public consumption, the salary cap reality is that Williams' salary when he returns could be more than $3 million. With Brown expected to get a signing bonus of $14 million, that's likely way too much money invested into two running backs for the team to handle against the cap.
Can anyone further ellaborate this? How would Ricky returning result in 3 million dollars? Isn't he the one who OWES US money? I don't understand how Ricky returning can hurt us against the cap, if anything it should help us with the cap because he'll be the "working off" the money he owes us. I knew this would be a complicated situation, but can't we just give him minimum salary if he was to return? :confused:
 

VanDolPhan

Starter
Joined
Mar 3, 2002
Messages
7,177
Reaction score
0
Age
44
Location
Hamilton, Ontario
painnotpleasure said:
Can anyone further ellaborate this? How would Ricky returning result in 3 million dollars? Isn't he the one who OWES US money? I don't understand how Ricky returning can hurt us against the cap, if anything it should help us with the cap because he'll be the "working off" the money he owes us. I knew this would be a complicated situation, but can't we just give him minimum salary if he was to return? :confused:

He's retired so his contract his off the books. If he comes back his contract is still under the phins control and therefore his salary reinstated. Remember the phins have not released control of his contract. They want $8.6 million for him to get out of his contract.
 

painnotpleasure

Hall Of Famer
Joined
Aug 2, 2004
Messages
6,948
Reaction score
4
Location
Maryland
VanDolPhan said:
He's retired so his contract his off the books. If he comes back his contract is still under the phins control and therefore his salary reinstated. Remember the phins have not released control of his contract. They want $8.6 million for him to get out of his contract.
So if Ricky comes back, his salary is re-instated... he doesn't owe us 8.6 million and we have to pay his salary?? I'm still not sure if I'm understanding this correctly... but if he decides to come back and Saban allows it... would we be able to restructure his contract to a mininum (or reduced) salary to help him pay back the money he owes AND help us with the CAP?
 

Mike13

I am a golden god
Joined
Apr 27, 2005
Messages
23,220
Reaction score
196
Age
33
Location
Miami, FL
painnotpleasure said:
Can anyone further ellaborate this? How would Ricky returning result in 3 million dollars? Isn't he the one who OWES US money? I don't understand how Ricky returning can hurt us against the cap, if anything it should help us with the cap because he'll be the "working off" the money he owes us. I knew this would be a complicated situation, but can't we just give him minimum salary if he was to return? :confused:

I have heard that Ricky's return would not help or hurt the phin's salary cap
 

painnotpleasure

Hall Of Famer
Joined
Aug 2, 2004
Messages
6,948
Reaction score
4
Location
Maryland
PatsSuck456 said:
I have heard that Ricky's return would not help or hurt the phin's salary cap
Well that's what I originally had thought that it wouldn't hurt us at all (and in my mind that would be helping us), but I also thought that maybe we'd be able to also sign him to a mininum contract (or reduced) with INCENTIVES as well which would definitely be helping us against the cap.
 

VanDolPhan

Starter
Joined
Mar 3, 2002
Messages
7,177
Reaction score
0
Age
44
Location
Hamilton, Ontario
PatsSuck456 said:
I have heard that Ricky's return would not help or hurt the phin's salary cap

You heard wrong. We still own his contract and his contract goes on the books if he comes back.
 

laxcoach

Pirate Lacrosse King
Joined
Aug 22, 2004
Messages
1,174
Reaction score
959
painnotpleasure said:
Can anyone further ellaborate this? How would Ricky returning result in 3 million dollars? Isn't he the one who OWES US money? I don't understand how Ricky returning can hurt us against the cap, if anything it should help us with the cap because he'll be the "working off" the money he owes us. I knew this would be a complicated situation, but can't we just give him minimum salary if he was to return? :confused:

The Dolphins still own Ricky's rights, but I don't think that contract stands anymore, unless the Dolphins want it to. Ricky owes money because he broke his contract. Depending on the wording of the contract, I think the Dolphins are in the driver's seat. It is hard to imagine that they would put wording in the contract that would allow them to collect 8.6M in signing bonus money if he bugged out, but would allow him to come back at full salary.

In other words, Jason Cole is assuming a lot.
 

igor79

Seasoned Veteran
Joined
Aug 9, 2003
Messages
966
Reaction score
19
Age
41
Location
Brooklyn, NY
rickey wants MORE money not less... he felt he was getting ripped off, thats one of the reasons he quit... theres no way he plays for anything near the min
 

VanDolPhan

Starter
Joined
Mar 3, 2002
Messages
7,177
Reaction score
0
Age
44
Location
Hamilton, Ontario
laxcoach said:
The Dolphins still own Ricky's rights, but I don't think that contract stands anymore, unless the Dolphins want it to. Ricky owes money because he broke his contract. Depending on the wording of the contract, I think the Dolphins are in the driver's seat. It is hard to imagine that they would put wording in the contract that would allow them to collect 8.6M in signing bonus money if he bugged out, but would allow him to come back at full salary.

In other words, Jason Cole is assuming a lot.

Yes the contract stands folks. If the contract didn't stand he'd be free to go whereever he wants. The contract stands and the $8.6 million that is owed would probably be dropped by the team.
 
Top Bottom