Dolphins added depth everywhere but RB... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins added depth everywhere but RB...

A couple of things.

Yes, we need depth. The Patriots have 3-4 running backs they would feel ok starting.

But we did not have the draft picks compared to our needs.

We, unlike the Patriots, have to overpay free agents to play here.

Jay Ajayi has a ...uh...an Ego. He showed that clearly last season. If we have drafted an RB or picked up a big name in free agency, we would have to deal with his Ego again. If we had managed to get Mike Gillispie back, think of the pouting Ajayi might go through again. And I'm not kidding here.

It is not an accident that we made zero moves towards getting another decent running back. And having "too many" good running backs is not a "problem" we have.

Gase and company have to hope that Ajayi stays healthy and Drake can pick up the slack. Jay Ajayi ran for the 4th most yards in the NFL last season averaging only 17.3 carries per game but at a 4.9 YPC clip.

Tannehill, Williams, and Drake each added around 35-40 carries each for the season with Drake having better stats than D Williams had.

Jay Ajayi had so few carries because of us last season because we only started to run the ball with him at about game 6. So he "missed" about 125 carries. Last season Mike Gillispie for the Bills had 101 carries for 5.7 YPC to reduce McCoy's workload. We need someone to step up without stepping on Ajayi's toes. Or Ego.

Vince Taylor was considered a steal according to some GMs.

I think we should be okay with what we have.

The staff will know soon whether or not to grab a vet DT.

I think it's a solid possibility that one of our late DTs picked turn out to be a good player.

Damien Williams is so underrated and under appreciated around here. I'm not mad about it just shocked. People claim to know football, claim to have an eye for talent and then go on to say we're thin at RB. I've seen this all over the board I am not directing this to the original poster by any means.

We have Ajayi, Damien Williams and Kenyan Drake. I like that trio and you never know who will hit the wire. I just don't see a new name coming in and playing more than Williams. Drake is set to get an increased work load so honestly I just don' see how anyone else plays meaningful snaps

3 guys also on the roster:
Storm Johnson Senorise Perry De'Veon Smith

Lets see who sticks

I don't think the consensus around here is Williams is underappreciated.

Trust me, we all know we needed his 6 tds last year. That's 2 more than our pro bowl WR had lol

I think people see Kenyan Drake as someone with an extremely high ceiling as a runner, returner, and receiver.

We're getting a steal only paying Williams 1.8 mil.

I think WIlliams is more replaceable than a talent like Drake.

I wouldn't discount De'veon Smith's chances of making this team and being the next Damien Williams.

I see him as a power back that will finally get us 4th and 1 like Polite did because of his sheer size and power he plays with.

Like you said "let see who sticks"

There will be decent options of veterans on the market and young players on other practice squads if Miami needs a 4th back.

A good portion. According to the snap counts on profootballreference, over the past 2 years 6 of 10 DT/NT drafted in rounds 5 or 6 played at least 25% of their teams defensive snaps as rookies......which is about the same percentage as our 3rd DT played last year. 3 of those played 40% or more.

I wouldn't exactly call 25% of the snaps a significant contribution. Especially if they are getting run all over. It depends on the quality of play. Earl Mitchell played many snaps over the last couple of years but I didn't see many quality snaps from him. he got the snaps because we didn't have anyone better. That's a testament to a lack of depth.

Suh played 85% of the defensive snaps. That's an inordinate amount for a big man. He was among league leaders. How long can he keep that up at 30+ years old? Jordan Phillips played 54% but only about half of those were quality snaps based on reports.

We really had no clear #3 DT last year but Mitchell (injured most of the year) played 3rd most at 26% and shared with Chris Jones (8%), Leon Orr (3%), as well as Julius Warmsley, Nick Williams & Jason Jones in sub-packages. All of those (5) guys combined for about 61% of the DT snaps not taken by our #1 and #2.

2016 5th or 6th round DT's: Quinton Jefferson, Matthew Ioannidis, D.J. Reader, Anthony Zettel

2015: Grady Jarrett, David Parry, Tyeler Davison, Michael Bennett, Darius Philon, Leterrius Walton, Darius Kilgo, Kristjan Sokoli, Christian Covington, Rakeem Nunez-Roches

That's 14 DT's drafted in the last two years. I'm not sure where PFF got 10 from but I only see a few names that stand out and even less that stood out as rookies.

A two year sample size is not really a great assessment of the DT's IMO. What is the % over 5 or 10 years?

Hopefully we end up with the next Grady Jarrett and not Darius Kilgo. The chances that both of our draftees make the 53 is probably a lot lower.

Back
Top Bottom