Dolphins and Mathis have mutual interest. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins and Mathis have mutual interest.

It is interesting how Drew Rosenhaus just happens to find his way to Dolphin Training Camp. I'm sure he has some Dolphin clients but I can't help but think that this is about making Miami pay over the top (for multiple years) for 34 year old, Mathis who has succeeded in avoiding Training Camp.
Miami would also probably like to lock up either or both of its local boys, Olivier Vernon and Lamar Miller, long term but there is not a lot of surplus cash lying around. Tannenbaum and Hickey have to evaluate the all respective priorities.
Is Guard a desperate need or just really nice to have? How well have our 3 young guards (Turner, Thomas and Douglas) developed? Are they good enough to make the grade? Tannenbaum and Hickey appear to have made many good decisions this offseason but we need another. Tannenbaum is an experienced negotiator and it's actually a good sign that he's not rushing to do a deal. The problem occurs if another guard deficient team suffers a key injury and becomes desperate for Mathis and prepared to overpay.
Personally, I'd prefer to put the money towards locking Vernon up long term and try to find a decent lower cost guard alternative, if available. Mathis could be a good pick up and help stabilize the O-line, but only at the right price. Kind of makes the money that Ireland flushed down the toilet on Wheeler and Ellerbe for a quick fix, seem pertinent.

great call on future signings like a Vernon... even Wake, Grimes for the rest their careers i would hope too.

and agreed on the word desperate... Mathis will be somewhere when desperate comes from an NFL team due to injury.

once again i would love mathis, but i do not believe the expensive quick fix is a need... it would be a more desperate move. definitely wouldnt help us long term in any way, especially with the development of all our youth surrounding the team.

It is interesting how Drew Rosenhaus just happens to find his way to Dolphin Training Camp. I'm sure he has some Dolphin clients but I can't help but think that this is about making Miami pay over the top (for multiple years) for 34 year old, Mathis who has succeeded in avoiding Training Camp.
Miami would also probably like to lock up either or both of its local boys, Olivier Vernon and Lamar Miller, long term but there is not a lot of surplus cash lying around. Tannenbaum and Hickey have to evaluate the all respective priorities.
Is Guard a desperate need or just really nice to have? How well have our 3 young guards (Turner, Thomas and Douglas) developed? Are they good enough to make the grade? Tannenbaum and Hickey appear to have made many good decisions this offseason but we need another. Tannenbaum is an experienced negotiator and it's actually a good sign that he's not rushing to do a deal. The problem occurs if another guard deficient team suffers a key injury and becomes desperate for Mathis and prepared to overpay.
Personally, I'd prefer to put the money towards locking Vernon up long term and try to find a decent lower cost guard alternative, if available. Mathis could be a good pick up and help stabilize the O-line, but only at the right price. Kind of makes the money that Ireland flushed down the toilet on Wheeler and Ellerbe for a quick fix, seem pertinent.

Drew lives down here and he went to UM and has had more clients with the Miami Dolphins than any other team over the years . . . . he's built a relationship with the organization. It is a very common site to see him at Dolphins camp every year . . . we are just spotlighting him more this year because of the Mathis situation.

Don't get me wrong, he knows Miami doesn't have a great guard situation and he knows that Evan Mathis should be a glove fit for the type of offense we run . . . . however don't for a second think that him expressing this "mutual" interest between Mathis and Miami isn't an advertisement to other teams in the league as well.

Mathis could "want" to skip camp all he wants, but he isn't a LT or RT, he really needs reps in between the LT/C and any team seeking his services should make that a priority . . . . I think ultimately price is still the major factor and Mathis wants a multi year deal and the Dolphins need to be very careful with how they run next season as they are already the team that is "most" over the cap for 2016.

I think Thursday will be a big barometer when it comes to Mathis . . . . Miami wants their young guards to step up but if they get handled on Thursday I expect they'll cave and bring Mathis in and deal with the 2016 cap stuff when that time comes.

Still #1 priority is Branden Albert, that can't be stressed enough, the line improvement will be greater when he gets back over signing Mathis and not having him back.

No matter what we do I have faith in the FO to make the right decision. Unlike when Philbin told Ireland we didn't have a capable starting left tackle on the roster, which resulted in the bully-gate fiasco I think if Philbin says he needs more there now Hickey and Tannenbaum will do what they can within reason to help out. I have faith in Hickey's talent evaluation. And in light of that recent article on Tannenbaum where it talks about him making moneyball type spreadsheets on free agents while in college and landing a job with Belichick I have faith in his ability to gauge Mathis' true value.

Plus, as an added benefit for us Lazor worked with him.

If we decide we want/need Mathis, it'll happen.

Any other examples? Yep he's the sole reason they made the playoffs. I think he had more to do with giving Dallas a vaunted running game there for opening up the pass. Dallas still gave up 30+ sacks last season.

A huge reason Dallas had success last season were the wide receiver core who had 10 total drops
Lamar Miller had 7 by himeself and our team had 28 dropped passes

Typical case of his agent hoping to push the Fins into a panic and sign him for a lot of money. We definitely need him but the money needs to be right.

Rotoworld just showed that the Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins have offered Mathis around half of the $5.5M per season that he was getting in Philadelphia.

Ive seen Drew at the camps all the time.

They just took a picture and made it a story basically ......

enough already Mr. Ross, you should be making this happen NOW. Just look at the state of your guard situation. Damn, this should be a no brainer.

We connot go into the season with a line that can't pass block. Maybe some guys emerge and gel with consistency. Man I hope we can get a stout oline.

See I have interest in the Presidential race right now but my level of interest is on par with a 1 year old with a new rattle, I shake it a couple times and throw it in with all the other rattles.

So the level of interest is what is key here because that is what will or will not get the deal done in the long run.

Rotoworld just showed that the Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins have offered Mathis around half of the $5.5M per season that he was getting in Philadelphia.

If thats true come on miami...thats low ball for his level of play...step it up

Drew Rosenhaus has blood in his eyes and blood in his...wherever.

I obviously have no idea what goes on behind closed doors, but we should be offering him a deal similar to the one Jordan Cameron has, just with less money. A 2 year deal that's basically a one year deal so we can cut him after this season with no obligations, but I'd give him whatever we can afford this season. What we pay him this year is irrelevant as long as it doesn't handcuff us in the off season.

Back
Top Bottom