Dolphins and Mathis have mutual interest. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins and Mathis have mutual interest.

I have a hunch (nothing more than that) that this is taking so long so Mathis can avoid a big chunk of training camp.

I always find these typed of things hilarious. "Rich sports team shows interest in signing Evan Mathis.... And unsurprisingly Mathis is interested in a multi million dollar a year job! I can't believe it!" Just seems funny to me.

I have a hunch (nothing more than that) that this is taking so long so Mathis can avoid a big chunk of training camp.

He's probably waiting on a team like Denver or Indy to have one of their Guards go down; then he will get paid what he wants. He is going to be 34 and probably wants to win a Super Bowl (not saying the Fins are going to suck, but he probably would rather play for a proven team).

It appears that the FO is going to screw around till Tannehill gets hurt then it will be too late. You all need to pull the trigger on this already. For crying out loud!

I don't think that can be used as an excuse ......

When we play the bills and jets .... What will be the excuse ?

Those are 4 games right there that are going to be a serious issue , especially for Tannehills health

I am not using it as one, I just hear it a lot. I agree with the the D Lines in the AFC East are the best in the NFL (would throw St Louis in there as well). So you better be able to deal with it and right now they are not.

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

I actually said that a while back ago and no matter who he signs with I didn't expect it until after the first or second pre-season game.

I have not seen anything factual on what Mathis wants other than what he said on leaving Philly, which was his $5.5M plus incentives which could bring him to $8M for this year. I do not believe he is going to get that.

Interest from multiple teams is one thing but, paying a lot for an old OG does not appear to be what teams are willing to do. Drew may have overplayed his hand.

The 49ers, one of the teams that have been rumored to Mathis , still seem uninterested.

The 49ers appear to be pleased with their group of offensive linemen, and there has been no indication at this point in training camp that they’re interested in acquiring a veteran, such as former Philadelphia guard Evan Mathis. The 49ers seem to believe they have the players, but the players just need to get more comfortable working with each other.

“We’ve had a lot of different combinations out there – a lot of hard work,” 49ers left tackle Joe Staley said when asked about the group of young linemen. “What I think we got to do a better job at right now is the overall understanding of the offense, especially in pass protection, just not as many MAs (missed assignments) and confusion.

The main drawbacks for the 49ers to sign Mathis are his age, his demands and, perhaps, a feeling within the organization that they need continuity with the group already in place, not another player to add to the mix.

Mathis, who turns 34 in November, was the oldest projected starting offensive lineman in the league at the time of his release. Eagles coach Chip Kelly said there was no interest in a trade, and the Eagles reportedly pulled a contract offer that would have increased his salary from $5.5 million to $6.5 million.

The 49ers have their own contract issue with one of their starting guards. Alex Boone, who moved from right guard at the start of training camp, enters the final year of his contract with the team. He is scheduled to earn $3.4 million base salary.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/cap-space-does-not-impact-49ers-value-mathis

Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin 25s26 seconds ago
Sounds like Evan Mathis may find a new home relatively soon. A source close to the situation says a "deal could happen anytime now."

Back
Top Bottom