Dolphins appear to be looking to upgrade Center in this year's draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins appear to be looking to upgrade Center in this year's draft

DOLFANMIKE

Coaches Corner
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
"Earlier in the offseason, Miami Dolphins general manager Chris Grier spoke positively about center Michael Deiter, also adding that they’ve received some trade calls about him.

The front office is aware that there’s a lack of depth at the position, and there’s a real chance that they could find an upgrade to start. That’s why they’re talking to center prospects in the 2022 NFL draft that is set to start on Tuesday. According to the Miami Herald’s Barry Jackson, the Dolphins have recently met with University of Tennessee-Chattanooga center Cole Strange.

Strange, who measured in at 6-foot-5 and 307 pounds, ran a 5.03 40-yard dash and completed 31 reps on the bench press at the combine. Starting all 11 games in 2021, he recorded an 86.3 overall grade from Pro Football Focus."

Here’s what NFL analyst Lance Zierlein said about Strange:

“Highly experienced interior lineman who does a nice job of staying on schedule. He shines over the first two phases of the block, which means he gains early positioning and gets into the sustain phase with proper hand usage and footwork. He will lose a tug-of-war battle as a pure man-to-man blocker, but wins with lateral quickness and an understanding of angles as a move blocker. A snappier pass punch is needed to prevent sub-package rushers with hand talent from bypassing him too easily. His frame and play strength are a little below average, but he has done some snapping in practice, so he could land as a future starting center for a zone-happy rush offense.”

Unless its Linderbaum, idk if any of the rookies we could draft in that 70-100 range are going to step right in and overtake Deiter's spot. I mean he was a third rounder, so we are expecting a fresh guy to come in and be better than him? idk... I mean he's not a GOOD player, but meh, we could do worse I guess

Unless its Linderbaum, idk if any of the rookies we could draft in that 70-100 range are going to step right in and overtake Deiter's spot. I mean he was a third rounder, so we are expecting a fresh guy to come in and be better than him? idk... I mean he's not a GOOD player, but meh, we could do worse I guess
Last year was his first at Center.

I considered it akin to a rookie campaign for him at that position.

I expect him to improve (especially with solid play at both Guard spots).

He may be a GOOD player (fingers crossed).

They may go after a guy they think could possibly surprise and beat out Deiter, for cheap, if they can’t get Linderbaum. They probably have a list of guards with center experience. Best we’re likely to see at this point is a band-aid behind Deiter IMO. But Grier has had a strong off-season…maybe we’re in for one more pleasant surprise…I don’t think we’d complain too loudly.

Projected Role: Developmental starting center in a zone-blocking scheme

How He Fits with the Dolphins​

Fortner is a great scheme fit in new head coach Mike McDaniel’s heavy outside-zone offense. He has experience working those concepts with the Wildcats, and he knows how to do it from both the center and the guard spots.

His movement skills would benefit the Dolphins greatly on screen concepts too. Miami invested in two speedy running backs during free agency — Raheem Mostert and Chase Edmonds — both of whom can break big plays off of screens. Some of Fortner’s best blocks came when he was getting out into space and blocking defenders more than 10 yards down the field.

Making the case for drafting Luke Fortner​

Fortner’s most appealing quality outside of how well he fits the Dolphins' running scheme is his long-term projection as a starter. He’s got some technique and functional strength improvements he needs to make first, but the Dolphins can afford to invest in his development at this time.

Michael Deiter can hold down the starting center spot while new offensive line coach Matt Applebaum gets Fortner’s body right all while he becomes even more experienced as a zone blocker.

If Fortner develops the way Miami wants him to, he can be plugged in as an incredibly low-cost starter for the 2023 season and beyond. While Fortner doesn’t have a ceiling as a potential “star,” Miami is the best place for him to develop what traits he does have to become a reliable starter.

Last edited:
They may go after a guy they think could possibly surprise and beat out Deiter, for cheap, if they can’t get Linderbaum. They probably have a list of guards with center experience. Best we’re likely to see at this point is a band-aid behind Deiter IMO. But Grier has had a strong off-season…maybe we’re in for one more pleasant surprise…I don’t think we’d complain too loudly.
I think you are spot on with plan B if we can't find extraordinary value by moving up into Round 2 on the cheap. I doubt Grier sits on his hands and lets a player slip away if the value is there.

I believe Strange is currently or will be 24 years old. I’m not all that on board with a developmental prospect at that age. I would rather take my chances with Jurgens, Tom, Fortner or West.

We realistically only have 2 draft picks this year as 7th rounders are really just flyers. Both are mid draft which is a good spot to pick in our areas of need (ILB, C, RB). Shame we don't have that extra 4th rounder otherwise we could get one of each. We only have 2 so I believe one definitely needs to be a Centre. Worst case is the guy can't beat out Deiter for the starting spot. Not a terrible outcome and least we have a backup who can develop. Best case we significantly upgrade a position we've struggled to fill for many years at minimal cost.

I hate to draft average strength Olinemen. If there is a cant miss prospect at wr, rb or DL, draft them and dont reach for another average center.

Last year was his first at Center.

I considered it akin to a rookie campaign for him at that position.

I expect him to improve (especially with solid play at both Guard spots).

He may be a GOOD player (fingers crossed).
I think your expectations (hopes) are legitimate. If Deiter does not win the starting center spot, can he start at RG? Or now just depth for LG, RG, and C.

I think your expectations (hopes) are legitimate. If Deiter does not win the starting center spot, can he start at RG? Or now just depth for LG, RG, and C.
if deiter gets beaten out at Center, i think he will be backup Center (and possibly guard).

i can't see him starting over Connor Williams at LG or Robert Hunt at RG, provided both stay healthy.

Back
Top Bottom