Dolphins appear to be looking to upgrade Center in this year's draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins appear to be looking to upgrade Center in this year's draft

No one knows Miami's board. Maybe there were 2 centers on the board, but both were gone. Maybe they tried to move up. Maybe they're happy with Deiter
I'm sure they're happy with Deiter, but the reality is that we have zero depth at C. We literally do not have a back-up C on the roster.

I'm sure they're happy with Deiter, but the reality is that we have zero depth at C. We literally do not have a back-up C on the roster.
That's true and I'm sure it will be addressed after the draft, which is, IMO, the correct way to go, as opposed to drafting a late round "project".

The reality is, despite what some advocate, almost all late round picks are projects and can't be counted on to be able to supplant experienced NFL players. It would be very imprudent to go into the season with that type of player as the primary backup.

"Earlier in the offseason, Miami Dolphins general manager Chris Grier spoke positively about center Michael Deiter, also adding that they’ve received some trade calls about him.

The front office is aware that there’s a lack of depth at the position, and there’s a real chance that they could find an upgrade to start. That’s why they’re talking to center prospects in the 2022 NFL draft that is set to start on Tuesday. According to the Miami Herald’s Barry Jackson, the Dolphins have recently met with University of Tennessee-Chattanooga center Cole Strange.

Strange, who measured in at 6-foot-5 and 307 pounds, ran a 5.03 40-yard dash and completed 31 reps on the bench press at the combine. Starting all 11 games in 2021, he recorded an 86.3 overall grade from Pro Football Focus."

Here’s what NFL analyst Lance Zierlein said about Strange:
Let’s hope you are correct. I agree. We need an upgrade at C.

As far as we know. Maybe have id'd a backup C. Don't get me wrong. I'd like a backup C with experience. Maybe they'll get one after camp cuts.

That's true and I'm sure it will be addressed after the draft, which is, IMO, the correct way to go, as opposed to drafting a late round "project".

The reality is, despite what some advocate, almost all late round picks are projects and can't be counted on to be able to supplant experienced NFL players. It would be very imprudent to go into the season with that type of player as the primary backup.
We probably have more info on Lindstrom than most. If we take him then I think his odds of making the roster are decent. I didn't have any draft pick supplanting Deiter this year. I like Deiter and think he'll be a solid to good starter for us this year. But we need a back-up C.

As much as I wanted a center, if they didn't see any who they felt had a decent chance to upgrade the position, they did the right thing. Better to draft someone who you think makes our team better than reaching for a guy that doesn't, especially when there'll be unsigned vets out there and UDFAs ... there's still time to address the need reasonably.

I agree. Backups have to be able to play. Now, not down the road

Why is Tretter still out there as a FA?
Money, knees, and hasn't practiced for over 3 seasons. Contrary to what some advocate bringing in players that have been cut from other teams is no way to upgrade a position on the OL. There is a reason they are available. Sometimes more than one reason.

Not the draft I would have done. Fortunately they know more than I.

Back
Top Bottom