Dolphins appear to be looking to upgrade Center in this year's draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins appear to be looking to upgrade Center in this year's draft

I think your expectations (hopes) are legitimate. If Deiter does not win the starting center spot, can he start at RG? Or now just depth for LG, RG, and C.
If he's starting at guard, things have gone seriously awry.

That would mean LT was a disaster, and Hunt had to slide outside.

Even if we draft a mid-round center, we still need to pick up an at least serviceable, even if meh, cheap veteran as insurance. Going into camp with just Deiter and a rook is just asking for trouble, IMO.

I’m not a draft guru by any means but I think that’s pretty damn obvious!!

I think Dieter will be fine and will be our starting center for years to come. I want no part of West or Tom. Thinking of them as our starting C gives me flashbacks to that game where Jamil Douglas started at C. Yuck!

Unless its Linderbaum, idk if any of the rookies we could draft in that 70-100 range are going to step right in and overtake Deiter's spot. I mean he was a third rounder, so we are expecting a fresh guy to come in and be better than him? idk... I mean he's not a GOOD player, but meh, we could do worse I guess
Positivity - almost - LOL

Projected Role: Developmental starting center in a zone-blocking scheme

How He Fits with the Dolphins​

Fortner is a great scheme fit in new head coach Mike McDaniel’s heavy outside-zone offense. He has experience working those concepts with the Wildcats, and he knows how to do it from both the center and the guard spots.

His movement skills would benefit the Dolphins greatly on screen concepts too. Miami invested in two speedy running backs during free agency — Raheem Mostert and Chase Edmonds — both of whom can break big plays off of screens. Some of Fortner’s best blocks came when he was getting out into space and blocking defenders more than 10 yards down the field.

Making the case for drafting Luke Fortner​

Fortner’s most appealing quality outside of how well he fits the Dolphins' running scheme is his long-term projection as a starter. He’s got some technique and functional strength improvements he needs to make first, but the Dolphins can afford to invest in his development at this time.

Michael Deiter can hold down the starting center spot while new offensive line coach Matt Applebaum gets Fortner’s body right all while he becomes even more experienced as a zone blocker.

If Fortner develops the way Miami wants him to, he can be plugged in as an incredibly low-cost starter for the 2023 season and beyond. While Fortner doesn’t have a ceiling as a potential “star,” Miami is the best place for him to develop what traits he does have to become a reliable starter.
Nobody seems to be looking at the one thing I believe all centers must have - football smarts coupled with leadership capability.

These may be hard aspects to identify, but I believe they are as important as size and strength.

I hate to draft average strength Olinemen. If there is a cant miss prospect at wr, rb or DL, draft them and dont reach for another average center.
This system prioritizes feet and athleticism over strength. Terron Armstead was considered an average strength OL coming out. But he was ridiculously athletic.

I like Strange but he will require a trade up to land.The same is true of Zach Tom.

I am confident Fortner will be on the board at #102.

If he's starting at guard, things have gone seriously awry.

That would mean LT was a disaster, and Hunt had to slide outside.

Even if we draft a mid-round center, we still need to pick up an at least serviceable, even if meh, cheap veteran as insurance. Going into camp with just Deiter and a rook is just asking for trouble, IMO.
Here's how I see our OL shaping up:

LT- Armstead
LG - Williams
C- Deiter or Rookie (I'd love Linderbaum here)
RG - Hunt
RT - Eich

As for depth, I like R. Jones as a swingman at OG/OT and I suppose Jackson could hold the same role with the better of the two as OL6 and the other as OL7.

I think this OL is fine teamed with the superior OL coaching they will be getting this season with Applebaum and OC Smith. The other factor I like is how I expect our scheme to improve our OL performance.

Back
Top Bottom