Dolphins Aquisitions: What Are Your Greatest Hits And Misses? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Aquisitions: What Are Your Greatest Hits And Misses?

Hits— Zach Thomas , JT/Madison/surtain close
Misses—— wow what a long list. John Avery, yatil green, jamar fletcher, dion Jordan, aj feeley

To me a “hit” is someone taken in a spot where excellence wasn’t expected. A “miss” is taking a player that excellence is expected and they flop

Dion Jordan for biggest miss, for me. HATED that pick from the jump.

Biggest hit, that I didn't think would be a hit, was Dan Marino. Ya I know that's an easy "hit," but at the time I'm like, the dude's just gonna snort himself out of the league in 6 months...ya...ignernt.

Edit: I'll throw in a bonus...biggest offseason loss: Marco Colemen and Troy Vincent...still haven't gotten over that one.

I've been watching a lot of Fins games from the early 90's on Ytube lately - man, Marco Coleman was a disruptive force of nature when he came on the team. Too bad it didn't last that long...

Dion Jordan and DeVante Parker have been getting a lot of mentions in this thread, I was off on those 2 as well. Jamar Taylor was also a miss for me, I thought he would be a starter for us.
As far as a hit for me goes, I loved Reshad Jones in the 5th round. Had him as an early second rounder, so was thrilled when we drafted him that low.

I watched Sammie Smith a lot at FSU and I thought he was going to be the RB that Marino and the offense needed to be more dynamic. He seemed to beef up 10-15 pounds after college and never regained the burst and wiggle I saw when he was at FSU. Plus, the fumble problems. OMG the fumble problems. I still believe it was more of a confidence problem than anything else. It's like he had the yips.

For hits, I'm going to give two DEs that played opposite Jason Taylor. Trace Armstrong and Adewale Ogunleye. Both guys were underrated coming in...Trace as a FA and Ogunleye as a rookie. I watched both guys in college and while they didn't dominate with athleticism, they just seemed to have the strength and drive to get to the QB. I remember other fans having doubts, but I knew both guys would be successes opposite Taylor.

Biggest miss was probably Eric Green. We really needed a big TE like him and I thought he'd be a good player for us but he wasn't.

Biggest hit. Maybe Jim "crash" Jensen. I didn't even know who he was at first. Not saying he was a super star but man he could do a lot of things right and had the biggest heart.

I watched Sammie Smith a lot at FSU and I thought he was going to be the RB that Marino and the offense needed to be more dynamic. He seemed to beef up 10-15 pounds after college and never regained the burst and wiggle I saw when he was at FSU. Plus, the fumble problems. OMG the fumble problems. I still believe it was more of a confidence problem than anything else. It's like he had the yips.

For hits, I'm going to give two DEs that played opposite Jason Taylor. Trace Armstrong and Adewale Ogunleye. Both guys were underrated coming in...Trace as a FA and Ogunleye as a rookie. I watched both guys in college and while they didn't dominate with athleticism, they just seemed to have the strength and drive to get to the QB. I remember other fans having doubts, but I knew both guys would be successes opposite Taylor.

I didn’t like the trade of Ogunleye for Marty Booker.

The 1997 draft...
I couldn't believe Yatil Green fell to us...I remember thinking it was too good to be true.
Then as the second and third rounds rolled around, I remember screaming at the TV to draft Madison and Taylor. I couldn't believe they did. The only two times, besides Ted Ginn Jr., I ever predicted a Dolphins pick correctly or they picked who I wanted.
Although I had a hunch about Minkah. Other than that, wrong every time.

Hits : did not want anything to do with Jordan or Harris, give me FA signings like Starks all day

Misses : Mario Williams, Henne and Tannehill (rookie years ... and that's it), thought Parker could/would develop

Biggest misses for me are:

1 - Drafting a RB who wasn’t even the starter on his own college team #2 overall and passing on Aaron Rodgers when we desperately needed a franchise QB.

2 - Passing on Drew Brees. If we had taken either Aaron Rodgers or Brees when we had the opportunity it would have changed our destiny for the better all that time.

Biggest hits? Dan Marino (6th QB taken in 1983), Jason Taylor/Zach Thomas (take your pick)

Biggest misses for me are:

1 - Drafting a RB who wasn’t even the starter on his own college team #2 overall and passing on Aaron Rodgers when we desperately needed a franchise QB.

Yup. I know Ronnie was a fan favorite here but I thought he wasn’t all he was made out to be. He was supposed to be a replacement Ricky but he was far from it.

Hits...the one player I did not want to draft in 2013 was Jordan...we drafted Jordan.

Misses...I would say Parker...I thought he had all the makings of being a poor mans AJ Green.

Well, he's technically poor compared to AJ Green.

He's the homeless AJ Green.

I have no misses because I dont proclaim anyone will be good unless they went to Clemson LOL.

Or I've seen them play, and then I've been kicked while down being a Tannehill fan lol

Yup. I know Ronnie was a fan favorite here but I thought he wasn’t all he was made out to be. He was supposed to be a replacement Ricky but he was far from it.
Ronnie Brown was a pretty good player, and may have been even better had he not gotten injured in 2007.

But he was an awful pick.

My list of misses is embarrassing. Parker might be one of the biggest. I think with him it's not lack of talent, but maybe lack of toughness. I thought he would be a star and he's scrambling to stay in the league at this point. Maybe a new team will make a difference, but that's a big if.

I remember wanting Luke Keuckly followed by Russell Wilson a few years back. Going way back, I really liked Drew Brees. I think that could be the team's biggest miss ever, simply because they had two shots at him.

Back
Top Bottom