Dolphins Are Interested In Josh Evans... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Are Interested In Josh Evans...

I just heard on TV news that the Dolphins are considering releasing DG and taking the cap hit.

Originally posted by Miamian
I just heard on TV news that the Dolphins are considering releasing DG and taking the cap hit.

Was it on ESPN?

Originally posted by Miamian

Well, he could be becoming a Cancer to the team! Hw does have an attitude, and that sux. If true Bubuye now.

Thus the reason to take a look at Evans. Burnett, and D-Bo on the left JT on the right........

WHATEVER IT TAKES

If we release Gardener this year, what would the cap hit be like NEXT YEAR??

I'd swear right now but this forum just edits them out. Everything gets smoothed over and then D.G becomes a tool and does this:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/3670057.htm

What a tool! Especially knowing he was on the hot seat. So much for the issue being resolved. So if we can sign Evans then Gardener is gone although I have no idea how we absorb such a cap hit???

Are the phins just playing a game with D.G right now? Trying to get him motivated by making a shallow ploy to go after Evans who isn't exactly a model citizen himself.

Too many games going on here.

guess we're sort of in the Evans sweepstakes:
Dolphins | Join the Evans Race - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
8:51 PT: According to the Tennessean, the Miami Dolphins have joined the Jets and Titans as teams interested in signing free agent DT Josh Evans (Titans). The free agent recently visited Miami, but agent Jeff Deutsch, said he hasn't discussed a contract with them and Evans has yet to take a physical for them. Deutsch said Evans has no other visits lined up. Deutsch said discussions continue with the Jets, and wouldn't rule out meeting with the Titans and GM Floyd Reese at some point. Reese and Deutsch may speak by phone Tuesday.

and this http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...fl-evans071602.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

and this http://www.miami.com/mld/miami/sports/football/nfl/miami_dolphins/3670057.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Releasing Gardener would actually leave us with less money. Gardener's accelerated cap hit would be larger then his salary this year

Thats actually false. We would save a significant amount of money if we cut Daryl Gardener because the signing bonus acceleration gets split up into half this year and half next year, because its after June 1st. I dont know the exact amount we'd save, however but there's no doubt that with creative contract structuring if we cut DG then we could sign Sam Adams or Josh Evans pretty easily.

CKParrot you forgot that Gardener restructured his contract to save the phins room earlier this year. I believe that was approx 2 million + in savings. His base salary is now $2 635 000.00

His original contract signing bonus wasn't released. If I had to make a guess though it was probably in the 6.5-7 million range when compared with the deals Surtain/J.T and Madison recieved. It's also been muddled a lot in the constant revisions and extra bonuses given over the last year for restructuring his contract. I would venture a guess though at the total bonus #'s to be around 7.5 million. Including this year he has 6 years remaining on this deal. It was originally a 7 year contract wasn't it?

That is a hit of 1 071 428 million a year. So his final cap number this season would be approx $3 706 428.

However if we released him his cap charge would hit in 2 parts because of the deferral. I'm not quite sure how much of it could be deferred to next year. However if it was a basic 50/50 split then Daryl's cap hit would be $3 214 285.

For a grand total savings of $492, 143.

Ok so you got me there Ck we would actually save some dough. Just not enough to afford anyone really unless Evans wants to sign for the min and apparently he does not as Spielman just said in today's sun that no contract negotiations are in the works.

As for the Sam Adams stuff. NO chance in hell. He wants a 5 million signing bonus and at least 3-4 million a year. There will be 3-4 teams in line for him if he drops those demands even in half at this point.

Next season would be a prime time for getting rid of Gardener. After the June 1st hit his # would be a lot less serious. Still will hurt but we could at least afford to find a mid range $$ replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought, and I mean "thought", that DG's signing bonus was closer to $12 million. You said the SB number wasn't released, so I may be WAAAY off with this number, but I am usually pretty good at remembering contract numbers. If indeed it wasn't released, then obviously we have no clue as to what it is, but I can't remember any BIG deal not having the SB number released.

Anybody else remember anything?

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Releasing Gardener would actually leave us with less money. Gardener's accelerated cap hit would be larger then his salary this year

Thats actually false. We would save a significant amount of money if we cut Daryl Gardener because the signing bonus acceleration gets split up into half this year and half next year, because its after June 1st. I dont know the exact amount we'd save, however but there's no doubt that with creative contract structuring if we cut DG then we could sign Sam Adams or Josh Evans pretty easily.

A lot has to do with how he restructured his contract. Like how much money was gauranteed. That amount counts this year no matter what. Or if incentives were involved. This would be the ideal scenario, with him not being able to reach them, then the total amount could actually go down.

The sad part is that his original signing bonus was right around 11.5 million.......

The was someone on this board that had a really good site for cap info. I saved it but cannot remember where I put it!!!!!

It's nflpa.org....Here's Gardeners vitals ..... I don't know what that says about the signing bonus......you guys tell ME what it means. I don't know.

Last edited:
if you release DG, you can spread the cap hit over two years... you don't have to split it 50/50 so releasing him would allow you to sign evans, and i would be very happy if that happend b/c we are supposedly after him too; but i hate the guy and would be pissed if we signed that headcase -you guys can have him!

Yeah Daryl's signing bonus was around 11.5 however I could have swore that this last year was the 2nd, not the 1st, year of his contract life. That makes a big difference. I'm pretty sure I'm right on that one because I probably would have flipped out if the Phins gave DG an 11.5 million dollar signing bonus after only playing 10 games or something like that in 2000 cuz of all the recurring back problems.

And when he restructured earlier I'm pretty sure he just plain ended up taking something of a pay cut, not really converting any of his base salary into signing bonus.

Even if its only 500k savings, thats a whole lot of difference from actually taking a cap HIT for cutting the guy. 500k would allow us to sign Evans and with some creative structuring might even allow us to sign Adams. You can't think in terms of the player costing 500k because thats not the case. The cap number is a water gauge of our current tank of players and right now its X below the cap, but only the top 53 cap numbers count in the measure. If we cut DG then we save that 500k but it also shifts a contract that had not previously been counted in the top 53, into that top 53. Then when we sign someone like Evans, you only add to the salary cap figure the amount that Evans' contract is bigger than the contract that he is displacing.

In other words, pretty much we have enough money to sign anyone we want at the veterans minimum contract level. In fact, we could probably sign about 4 or 5 more guys at the veterans 750k level if we wanted to. With what we're theorizing we save by cutting DG (about 500k), we could sign Evans to a contract that has a 1st year salary cap figure of about 900k...which isn't all that bad.

Adams a $5 million SB? Where you been for the last month. Thats what he was asking for in the BEGINNING of his free agency venture. He's far far away from that figure now....and still unsigned. If he was such a good deal, he'd already be signed.

Originally posted by Ozzy
The sad part is that his original signing bonus was right around 11.5 million.......

Your kidding me??? Holy crap. I was using search engines trying to find D.G's signing bonus #'s and I couldn't come up with crap. So it was an 8 year contract then and not a 7 year contract? Ok.

Not including guarenteed money his cap hit would be approx 4.31 million. Means we would have to cut someone (or 2 or 3) to cut D.G this year. With Spielman saying they aren't even entertaining the thought of a contract with Evans I am chalking this up as a scare tactic on the managements part.

Holy christ Ozzy I really hope your wrong on that one. Why in the world would we give D.G a bigger signing bonus then Madison?

CK I usually respect your comments but the whole Sam Adams bit is a pipe dream. There are 3-4 teams that would hop on him at a 3 million signing bonus and an average of 2-3 million a year. Meanwhile this team is talking about minimum contracts. Even Evans isn't signing for no minimum contracts.

Back
Top Bottom