Dolphins Are Unlikely To Be Active In Free Agency | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Are Unlikely To Be Active In Free Agency

As CK pointed out Miami is going to need more corners to run this D. It’s not a deep CB draft class. Where do they come from ? Maybe this is all part of the “managed decline”.

Isn’t there a limit to how much cap space you can roll over? I mean if we can roll over the whole 30-40 mil I’m down!

Agree 100%. Sacrifice the year, clear the books and come out swinging in 2020. I’d be ok with a trade down that gets us a first next year too.

I expect we’ll be quite active.

In sending guys to free agency.

And this year, I do not care if our castoffs excel elsewhere.

But I’d like to keep Wake. He’s earned it.
Wake has actually earned the right to get away from this mess. The Dolphins should have traded him to a contender back in 2016 when Miami started 1-5, even though they went on to make the playoffs.

Isn’t there a limit to how much cap space you can roll over? I mean if we can roll over the whole 30-40 mil I’m down!

4 year rule:

There is a minimum amount of money that a team can put towards their caps. All 32 teams are required to spend at least 89 percent of their caps (which this year is $157.7 M). This is called the minimum cash spend requirement, also known as the 89 percent rule.

Teams don’t have to spend their 89 percent every year, however. This requirement must be the average amount spent over the four year spending period. The current spending period started in 2017 and will continue through 2020.

In other words, the Bengals could have to spend 88 percent of their cap last year and this year, but would have to spend at least 90 percent over the next two years.

The second requirement is that the league as a whole must spend 95 percent of its total cap space. So the average percent of cap spending must come out to 95 percent every year, or the remaining money will be given to the players. This rule also applies over the course of the spending period.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/9/6/17600618/nfl-salary-cap-2018-everything-to-know-about-salaries

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/2/26/8113215/nfl-salary-cap-89-percent-spending-jaguars

So, yea, the Dolphins could carry a lot of cap space into 2020, depending on how much they have spent up to the cap since 2017.

If they’re rolling with Falk and Rudock at QB that tells you all you need to know. They could tie the Lions record of 0-16.

As hard as it is going to be, watching a potentially bad football team, over the next few years; it's what is needed to finally right the mediocrity ship, better known as the Miami Dolphins. Reign in the spending and do it right. Eventually Miami will reap the rewards in terms of large amounts of cap space and a very young and hopefully talented roster on the rise.

As hard as it is going to be, watching a potentially bad football team, over the next few years; it's what is needed to finally right the mediocrity ship, better known as the Miami Dolphins. Reign in the spending and do it right. Eventually Miami will reap the rewards in terms of large amounts of cap space and a very young and hopefully talented roster on the rise.
i still do not see how new head coach will let go all his good guy to rebuild in 3 yr your asking to get fired. all you doing help next coach out. I see 5 to 8 guy that need be gone do to age or under performing on dolphins team. dolphins main problem is they need find qb. you don't have tank get qb. it not that we are that good at drafting. if they tank it going turn into ten yr project.

Last edited:
Impossible not to be active. They need like 50 players for the camp. They need 10-15 for the final roster. They gotta sign some players.

Back
Top Bottom