Dolphins blew it with passing on Herbert | Page 25 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins blew it with passing on Herbert

He keeps going back to that college argument because he’s got nothing else. It doesn’t even make sense LOL
He’s blind to what’s happening in the NOW
Too funny
Next year, Tua could be an MVP and I'd be a pig in **** but I think it's okay for us to argue that there are flaws in his game too. I believe he will get infinitely better.

Case and point (sorry @Soxfinatic your name brought it up for me). My favorite basketball player of all time is Dominique Wilkins. I can and will say that he won the dunk off between himself and Jordan. I have done every single one of those dunks (on a lowered rim) and Nique's dunks are hard as F! It does not change or will ever change the results of the contest. I do wish Jordan fans would do the same as me and admit it. But they will not and I do not care. The judges and they have every right to thinks Jordan's were better. Also now being a Blazers fan, it is and always will be a waste of time thinking "what if we drafted Jordan instead of Bowie?"

Case and point (sorry @Soxfinatic your name brought it up for me). My favorite basketball player of all time is Dominique Wilkins. I can and will say that he won the dunk off between himself and Jordan. I have done every single one of those dunks (on a lowered rim) and Nique's dunks are hard as F! It does not change or will ever change the results of the contest. I do wish Jordan fans would do the same as me and admit it. But they will not and I do not care. The judges and they have every right to thinks Jordan's were better.
Damn you Jeremy! Why? Haha!

Case and point (sorry @Soxfinatic your name brought it up for me). My favorite basketball player of all time is Dominique Wilkins. I can and will say that he won the dunk off between himself and Jordan. I have done every single one of those dunks (on a lowered rim) and Nique's dunks are hard as F! It does not change or will ever change the results of the contest. I do wish Jordan fans would do the same as me and admit it. But they will not and I do not care. The judges and they have every right to thinks Jordan's were better. Also now being a Blazers fan, it is and always will be a waste of time thinking "what if we drafted Jordan instead of Bowie?"
Nique was a man!

Drawing conclusions at this point in both QB's careers is pointless. Peyton Manning was bad the first year. Troy Aikman and Steve Young were too. Mahomes sat for a year, and even he is not relied upon to carry the entire load. He has the best offensive coach in the game, a good o line, outstanding skill position players to go along with his talent. Even Mahomes had to progress after sitting for the majority of one year.

My point is this: Tua's path to wherever he gets to in his NFL career will be unique. The past 3 starts have been his first action in a year.

Yes, Herbert is already good and he had a bad game against Miami.

Enjoy the ride. Don't jump to conclusions because of the media hype machine or social media.

He asked you if you've actually seen any of the Chargers games this season, and pointed out key moments in certain games to prove his point.

You responded with more stats. 😂

I think it's safe to assume that the majority of posters in this thread have seen very little Chargers football this year. I've seen a few of their games, and have seen their fans on Reddit blame him for multiple losses. However, box score warriors are undefeated so this is going nowhere.
It's pretty clear you haven't watched Chargers games. Link me to Chargers fans blaming Herbert for a single loss.nthe closest game he had to losing was vs Miami. Where he still had 3 tds and if hot for a blocked punt, its a whole different game.

I’ve only seen a few and in each one his picks have been back breakers. He had a great game vs the Jets though.

The one Vs us was bad. Despite being outplayed, because I never felt the Chargers game was as close as the score indicated, he had a shot to take the lead and threw the pick to Howard.

The Denver one was worse, someone can correct me if I’m wrong but they were in FG range and an FG would have iced the game. Herbert threw a jump ball to Mike Williams that was picked. This spearheaded the Broncos 3 point win. Herbert has been good but you need context. You just can’t quote his stats.
This is wrong. The int by Howard waw on an out route where Mike Williams slipped and Howard cut the route. The Denver game was worse. Herbert throws a fade to Williams, 6'4 Williams, that goes threw his hands and right into Calhouns chest, who wasnt even looking. Mike catches that and it is game over and 4 tds vs Den, same Den tua looked like a freshmen in high school against.

But that is what is dangerous about bringing up Manning. He was also on a terrible team and put up good yardage and TD's. He went out to win, dealt, and threw a bunch of Int's! Winners take chances and believe in themselves! Herbert is having a historic season for a team I hate. So let's not cheer is arse on please!? Sure, sure we all have the right to step back and say "DAMN KID!" But please stop sending him or LA any good karma :p.

Herbert is incredible but he's still struggling to get through more than one read. He's throwing that ball regardless and has the talent to get away with it most of the time. But he will throw INTs.

Tua´s anticipation and ability to get through his reads is elite and that's what's given him success. His arm is explosive too, but I think we've only seen him attempt 2 deep balls to Jakeem Grant. There have been plenty Alabama QBs surrounded by quality players but there are reasons why he succeeded beyond all others.
This just isnt true at all. Herbert has been amazing at reading progressions and holding safeties and DB's with his eyes.

Its ok to be happy with Tua or content. Its still early and 90% of rookie qbs dont play great and rarely do they play as good as Herbert. But not need to make stuff up to try and knock Herbert. Especially when game tape and advanced stats dont support it.

Stats like this?

I still believe from what I have seen, it is the fact that they keep their backs in motion and in passing lanes. A back catching a 8 or 15 yard out or slant will pull safeties in! The chargers have gone to their backs 21 more times, 187 yards, and on better draw up routes this year. The re-locators have drawn up a playbook based on Taylor's safe good passing and does not lose a game skills. Plug in a kid with a cannon, a better runner, and who is intelligent, and VIOLA....numbers! They have drawn in all the hb and te routes. It makes his arm shine when the backfield is drawn in and all he has to do is drop a dime over the top. Look at tape and look at numbers. Granted, He still has to make the throws...but easier job is easier!

Last edited:
This forum is going to be completely unreadable if every single week is going to determine whether or not we made the right QB choice.

Did anybody ACTUALLY watch the game last week? Did anybody see Herbert do literally anything at all outside of throwing screens and passes to the flat because his own OC was so terrified of him having to stand there and actually play QB that he tried to avoid it until it was too late in the fourth and then you started seeing Herbert just throw it to the other team or into the dirt instead?

And what, something changed because Herbert played the JETS?

He has TWO wins. Jacksonville and the Jets. The worst two teams in the league. His defense gives up 27 points a game and his offense scores 26 points a game. Now, anybody with a brain please tell me what their record SHOULD be given those two numbers? Hint: It's better than 2-7.

If you want to ignore the obvious warts in Herbert's game that is causing his team to lose games, then go for it. Those of us who actually watch college football and paid attention during the draft knew. He sucks in pressure situations. He sucks with the game on the line. That was his biggest flaw then and it's his biggest flaw now. It's why his team is 2-7 instead of 3-4 or 4-3.
Man you don't watch Chargers games at all.

Herbert is why they were up 11 vs KC in the 4th. Defense then plays prevent and offense plays conservative. KC needs 2 58 yd kicks to win in OT.

Vs Panthers, with 1:35 left from within own 5 yd line, 0 timeouts he drove them all the way down to Panthers 19th yd line and was a dropped pitch and ladder from Ekler from a walk off td.

Vs Bucs lit up one of the best defenses only to have his defense give up 5 tds to Brady and his rookie rb fumble on Chargers own 5 yd line setting uo quick td for TB before half.

Vs NO lit up another good defense and drove team to win game only to have kicker miss game winner.

Williams lets pass go right through his hands in the endzone for the 4th Herbert td vs same defense that destroyed tua. Williams catches that and its game over. Chargers d also folded against 1 of the worst qbs in lock.

Vs Raiders Williams and Parham in back to back sequences drop game winning tds.

Only game you can even come close to saying Herbert came up short was vs Miami. But again, Williams slips on his route, Howard cuts it outside and gets int. But alot of that game was coaches being unprepared and shook of Miami's amoeba cover 0 defense that was throwing some of the most exotic stunts, disguises and blitzes anyone has seen in past 10 years.

Tua will be fine, he needed a bad game, he needs another one or 2.. to get that taste in his mouth that he didnt get in college. So that he sees NFL isnt easy and doesn't take it for granted. But these weak Herbert takes arent it. It's clear you don't watch Chargers games. Only vs Mia and think thats how he has looked all year.

Even his bad game was nearly 200 yds and 3 total tds.

Back
Top Bottom