Dolphins claim former Bears TE/FB Evan Rodriguez | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins claim former Bears TE/FB Evan Rodriguez

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Surprised as well.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

By the way it should be noted that even if his position is listed officially as a tight end, in reality he played fullback in 2012 for the Bears and that's how many teams considered him coming out, sort of an fullback/h-back.

Ian Rapoport said:
Reiterating what I heard yesterday on ex-#Bears TE/FB Evan Rodriguez: Chicago really liked him on the field. In position to play in Miami

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/344562215292125186

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

Surprised as well.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

By the way it should be noted that even if his position is listed officially as a tight end, in reality he played fullback in 2012 for the Bears and that's how many teams considered him coming out, sort of an fullback/h-back.

Sounds like a Charles Clay type player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_qeeHEJ3Y

Wanted us to consider him, think he's a guy who get make the roster. Don't think Lane is exactly what the FO wants out of their FB's in this offense, he's sort of another Charles Clay in that he offers more in the pass gaming (unlike Lane) but is probably more effective out of the backfield as a blocker compared to Clay. Interesting flier.

I view this as competition for Lane without a doubt. If Clay shows well enough he should make the roster as the 3rd TE. I think Lane is the most likely guy on the outs. I could see 2 scenarios, both ending without Lane.

A
TE: Keller, Sims, Clay
FB: Rodriguez

B
TE: Keller, Sims, Egnew
FB: Clay

So to me the TE/H-Back/FB Depth chart is:
Keller, Sims, Clay, Egnew, Rodriguez, Lane.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has much more to do with Jorvorskie Lane than Michael Egnew. Trust me on that.

After the draft was done they grabbed both Ina Liaina and Rupert Bryan (a converted offensive lineman). Both are potential pure lead blocking fullbacks. Today they tried out Ryan D'Imperio who was a linebacker in college and has since converted to being a pure lead blocking fullback.

I haven't watched Rodriguez much in Chicago but PFF has his Run Blocking grade at +2.8 for the year as a fullback, whereas his work running routes and catching passes is a -1.5.

The Dolphins have made it clear they want to give Jorvorskie Lane more competition and especially would like to get their lead blocking for Lamar Miller improved.

My guess is that he's unlikely to make the roster, and he's mainly being brought in to apply some competitive pressure to Charles Clay.

I agree. What will we do with all these tight ends? Perhaps he'll be used more at FB

I thought we were trying to spread the field a little....but with so many TE's maybe we feel good with the run game so far.

Essentially this is a potential pure upgrade on Jorvorskie Lane. He's a better lead blocker, he has a background that suggests he's a more agile and accomplished pass catcher, and the only thing he does NOT do that Jorvorskie Lane does is he does not run the football in short yardage situations. But then, when they tried to get Jorvorskie Lane to do that in 2012 he couldn's stop fumbling the damn ball, and he also came up short several times in those short yardage situations...so arguably, Jorvorskie Lane doesn't run the football well in short yardage either!

The Chicago Bears have run out of patience with Evan Rodriguez.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Monday that the second-year pro would be released following his two offseason arrests, according to a source informed of the decision. Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune first reported the move, and the team officially announced it Monday afternoon.

Rodriguez was picked up in May on charges of DUI, speeding and an improper lane change. In March, Rodriguez -- the Bears' fourth-round pick in 2012 -- was arrested in Miami and charged with resisting an officer without violence and disorderly intoxication, charges that eventually were dropped.

Rodriguez was told his release wasn't for on-field reasons, the source told Rapoport.

lets hope he can change his act because he is a good player

miami should get away from any lead blocking fb stuff anyways in this o...if miami is truly becoming a passing team go with single back sets...

this team seems confused

Back
Top Bottom