Dolphins Claim Qb Luke Faulk | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Claim Qb Luke Faulk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to assume someone looked at all the tape on Falk and saw something correctable that they feel the guys in Tennessee working with him didn’t see or take the time to correct. They will kick the tires, see if they can coach him up to the potential they saw when they interviewed him. That accuracy is not even coachable, many strong armed tall great looking guys just can’t make it because of that one issue. An accurate guy can always get bigger, learn to avoid the rush, all the other things that are coachable or correctable. Quarterback is such a coveted thing it’s worth bringing a guy along that puts the ball on the money. For the record I never thought Darnold would be anything and liked Rosen, Mayfield and Falk. I still hope (sorry kid it’s because you’re a Jet) he is a huge bust.

No way we're going into the season with just Faulk and Tannehill. I doubt they would even want to show Faulk our scheme until they learn enough about him to think he will stick. And I doubt we want to carry 3 QBs for the season. So either its a coincidence that he came from our week one opponent or its a straight up download situation. Either way he won't be on the active roster come week 2.

Barry Jackson says he’s the teams developmental qb.

Played last 10 games with a broken non throwing hand last year.

You have to assume someone looked at all the tape on Falk and saw something correctable that they feel the guys in Tennessee working with him didn’t see or take the time to correct. They will kick the tires, see if they can coach him up to the potential they saw when they interviewed him. That accuracy is not even coachable, many strong armed tall great looking guys just can’t make it because of that one issue. An accurate guy can always get bigger, learn to avoid the rush, all the other things that are coachable or correctable. Quarterback is such a coveted thing it’s worth bringing a guy along that puts the ball on the money. For the record I never thought Darnold would be anything and liked Rosen, Mayfield and Falk. I still hope (sorry kid it’s because you’re a Jet) he is a huge bust.

That's why prizing Josh Allen so high, whose accuracy against future mgt trainees and FedEx drivers left much to be desired, and before that his JUCO accuracy being even worse, is kind of ponderous.

We needed a sixth receiver. It says more about how they feel about Ford, Carroo, Owusu, etc. than anything else. McEvoy has at least contributed in both of his NFL seasons so far.

I like the fact that we added a big receiver as our only receiver with size is also one of our most injury prone guys. Amendola also rarely makes it through a season. Don't forget that we have two receivers (Parker, Grant) who are in question for the opener.

Maybe someone can chime in on McEvoy's special teams ability.
If parker is resigned after this season and that's a big if, he will be our sixth receiver from next year cause you can bet your bottom dollar we will be drafting one early. But for now, he will have to do.

Very odd how he’s our developmental guy but we didn’t spend a draft pick on him

Wonder if they had similar grades on multiple guys and bet on the fact one would drop? Idk

I’m excited that gase is declaring a guy nonetheless

Wouldn’t shock me the slightest if next years backup qb isn’t even on the roster right now. In gases presser today he said he doesn’t have a true #2 and he’s guessing when he picks between fales and osweiler.

And I genuinely think the reason gase hasn’t gone and hand picked his own QB is bc Ryan tannehill is his hand picked QB.

I wouldn't be shocked if next years starting QB isn't on the roster TBH

As far as Gase's hand picked QB, not sure I follow as RT was there before Gase. Now I believe one of the reasons if not the main reason Gase got the job is because he sold Ross and Taneenbaum on the notion that he could work with Tannehill and take him to the next level. If he can do that or not is still yet to be seen but if Miami has a bad year I wouldn't be shocked to see a new staff with a new rookie QB.

Very odd how he’s our developmental guy but we didn’t spend a draft pick on him

Wonder if they had similar grades on multiple guys and bet on the fact one would drop? Idk

I’m excited that gase is declaring a guy nonetheless

It's very possible we would have taken him in the 6th had he been there when we picked. But we also obviously weren't desperate for a developmental QB as both Falk and Tanner Lee were still on the board 10 picks before we chose Cornell Armstrong. If we really wanted either with any urgency we could have moved up for chump change. IMHO, outside the top couple rounds, all QB talent is a crap shoot, and you're not much less likely to find a solid developmental QB sifting through cuts than you are spending a 6th round pick on one. Tom Brady not withstanding. Probably the Fins philosophy too. You're much more likely to find a guy that will actually contribute on the field in rounds 5-7 at other positions.

Last edited:
I was never a fan of Falk, and that hasn't changed.

He lacks a good arm and is a sack waiting to happen.....and 75% of what he does is dink and dunk, which NFL players will sit on. Plus he got his a LOT at Wazzu. That affects a guy.

It's very possible we would have taken him in the 6th had he been there when we picked. But we also obviously weren't desperate for a developmental QB as both Falk and Tanner Lee were still on the board 10 picks before we chose Cornell Armstrong. If we really wanted either with any urgency we could have moved up for chump change. IMHO, outside the top couple rounds, all QB talent is a crap shoot, and you're not much less likely to find a solid developmental QB sifting through cuts than you are spending a 6th round pick on one. Tom Brady not withstanding. Probably the Fins philosophy too. You're much more likely to find a guy that will actually contribute on the field in rounds 5-7 at other positions.
The Dolphins probably claimed Falk because they hope he will turn out like the last QB who was picked 199th.

I think the math is starting to get simpler.

We didn't draft Falk but the team had several interviews with him. He gets cut and we claim him as a developmental QB on a rookie contract (4 years). So in a weird circle of events at the end of the day, we still get the developmental QB we had targeted, on a rookie contract,

Brock is on a 1 year deal worth $880K (90K bonus). He is the prototypical QB2: 1) knows the HC, 2) starting experience, 3) knows the offense and 4) on a cheap deal.

Odd man out: Fales. No ties to HC. 1 year deal, also with only 90K guaranteed. Cannot be developed (time) on a rookie deal.

Gase always said his backup QB was on the roster. He just didn't say who it was. And he never said his developmental QB was on the roster. Fales had to wow in preseason to beat out Brock. Anything close, Brock won by default.

I think Gase targeted a developmental QB this off-season with last year's debacle. He jettisoned Moore. Signed Brock early and has never really committed to Fales in the time he's been here. Fales has always been an emergency option. Moore and Fales aren't Gase guys. Which, if we are following along, is the reason he brought in Cutler over Moore.

Also, it is pretty obvious Gase is all in on RT. Those of you wanting another QB drafted will have to wait until Gase is no longer HC or RT is retired. It is becoming obvious to me that Gase's creed moving forward is "if you are not my guy, you are not on my team". I think he bought into RT before he was hired. I think Gase is old school in that he only wants "his guy" at QB. It is a trust thing. And Ryan earned it 2016.

2018: Ryan (QB1), Brock (QB2) and Falk (QB3)
2019: Ryan (QB1), Falk (QB2)

Brock is trying to salvage his career. The only way I see him coming back next year is if he can't sign with another team and comes back at vet minimum.

Moving forward, it's RT and Falk for the foreseeable future.

Fales should be cut right before the game just to avoid TEN getting intel. Like I'm sure they feel we will do with Falk. Both are Patriot moves.

I agree with the entire post. I would add that if Tannehill goes down and Osweiler does a good job as his replacement we may see 3 QB's in 2019, Tanny, Osw, and Falk.

I think the math is starting to get simpler.

We didn't draft Falk but the team had several interviews with him. He gets cut and we claim him as a developmental QB on a rookie contract (4 years). So in a weird circle of events at the end of the day, we still get the developmental QB we had targeted, on a rookie contract,

Brock is on a 1 year deal worth $880K (90K bonus). He is the prototypical QB2: 1) knows the HC, 2) starting experience, 3) knows the offense and 4) on a cheap deal.

Odd man out: Fales. No ties to HC. 1 year deal, also with only 90K guaranteed. Cannot be developed (time) on a rookie deal.

Gase always said his backup QB was on the roster. He just didn't say who it was. And he never said his developmental QB was on the roster. Fales had to wow in preseason to beat out Brock. Anything close, Brock won by default.

I think Gase targeted a developmental QB this off-season with last year's debacle. He jettisoned Moore. Signed Brock early and has never really committed to Fales in the time he's been here. Fales has always been an emergency option. Moore and Fales aren't Gase guys. Which, if we are following along, is the reason he brought in Cutler over Moore.

Also, it is pretty obvious Gase is all in on RT. Those of you wanting another QB drafted will have to wait until Gase is no longer HC or RT is retired. It is becoming obvious to me that Gase's creed moving forward is "if you are not my guy, you are not on my team". I think he bought into RT before he was hired. I think Gase is old school in that he only wants "his guy" at QB. It is a trust thing. And Ryan earned it 2016.

2018: Ryan (QB1), Brock (QB2) and Falk (QB3)
2019: Ryan (QB1), Falk (QB2)

Brock is trying to salvage his career. The only way I see him coming back next year is if he can't sign with another team and comes back at vet minimum.

Moving forward, it's RT and Falk for the foreseeable future.

Fales should be cut right before the game just to avoid TEN getting intel. Like I'm sure they feel we will do with Falk. Both are Patriot moves.
Fales has been a Gase guy, he was on the same Bears team when Gase was the OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom