Dolphins coach Brian Flores wants Tua Tagovailoa to remain aggressive | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins coach Brian Flores wants Tua Tagovailoa to remain aggressive

andyahs

Bahamian Redneck
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

Tagovailoa had a tough day at minicamp, but Flores wants him to keep pushing

The Miami Dolphins practiced amid a torrential downpour on Tuesday, and it affected the play of second-year quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. The No. 5 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft threw five interceptions during the minicamp session, as head coach Brian Flores continuously pushed Tagovailoa to get the ball downfield despite the harsh conditions, according to Adam Beasley of The Miami Herald.

No one wants to see their quarterback throw multiple interceptions in one minicamp practice, but Flores told reporters that he wants his signal-caller to remain aggressive.

"I don't think Tua's going to go into a shell," Flores said, via The Miami Herald. "I tell him [after a practice like that] to continue being aggressive. The conversations are a lot of what we've already talked about here -- use this time to practice pushing the ball downfield. Then we'll make the adjustments and the corrections."

Tagovailoa was inserted into the starting lineup in Week 8 last season, and won his first three games. He went 6-3 as the starter, and threw for 1,814 yards, 11 touchdowns and five interceptions. There were times where Flores opted to bench Tagovailoa for Ryan Fitzpatrick if the offense became too stagnant, but with him now quarterbacking for Washington, Tagovailoa is the unquestioned starter.

Coach Flores understands that this is the time to make mistakes. And as Beasley points out, it does seem like Flores was pushing his quarterback to make those tough throws downfield and into tight windows while playing in severe weather. It's not something to overreact to, as the Dolphins will continue to make Tagovailoa uncomfortable, and teach him to play through adversity before the throws actually start to matter.

TUA has to learn what it takes to thread the needle in the NFL … and yes, that will cost a few INTs …

Better it be in practice … and as long as they decrease as the practices go on …

He didn’t get this opportunity last year …. So this is it …
Yep it's friggin June.

Coach Flo is 100% correct. I'm very happy to see that he's pushing Tua to drive the ball downfield, because that's the only way he's going to learn, and if he doesn't learn to do it he'll surely be replaced by someone who can. Let's have some patience as the kid figures it out. It's not going to be a steady or even always ascending curve ... it's going to be a bumpy graph with up days and down days, but starting is the most important part of the journey.

TUA has to learn what it takes to thread the needle in the NFL … and yes, that will cost a few INTs …

Better it be in practice … and as long as they decrease as the practices go on …

He didn’t get this opportunity last year …. So this is it …

How’s he going to learn that if he doesn’t practice and make the necessary mistakes?

How’s he going to learn that if he doesn’t practice and make the necessary mistakes?

I don't like "mistakes. " I said elsewhere every rookie QB has to learn great passes in college can be INTs in the NFL. The best way to learn that is see the consequences of that in practice. Yeah, tell him to be aggressive

I couldnt be happier with the way Flo is pushing Tua. If anything Im even more stoked for the Real Deal. How do you improve if not in this manner?

There is a reason we went from a "Laughing stock" to almost making the play-offs in one year. I believe ultimately in Flores as does the entire Dolphins team.

Im even more excited for the season!

You can't praise accuracy if you never use it as a weapon.

In a league and game predicated on precision and execution as the foundations of greatness, you can't settle for being "accurate". You have to be able to make precise throws on EVERY play.

It's a game of inches. The inches we need to succeed are all around us.

But you have to be willing to go farther than you did yesterday.

It used to be that 60% accuracy was a measure of elite NFL QBs. Then QBs like Pennington and Brees pushed the bar higher to 65%. Now, we are seeing 70% being the bar and 75% is within relative easy reach.

Dan wowed the league with his quick release and ability to thread the needle. Peyton Manning elevated the cerebral element of the game with his mastery of calling the offense at the LOS and being a field general. Brady's preparation, work ethic and dedication to his craft has set the bar for what excellence looks like as a football life.

But many times, fan reflect on those QBs and their abilities as being "generational" or "once in a lifetime". They are not. They set the bar for future QBs.

When the ceiling becomes the new floor, EVERYONE must adapt.

I don't see Tua's game as close to being where it needs to be for a championship. He needs a LOT of improvement to lead us to a championship. And then once he gets to "elite" status, he needs to push himself farther into another level of himself. If he doesn't constantly evolve and improve, the entire team loses.

As far as this initiative of teaching him to be aggressive, I reflect on one of the best quotes that teaches precision...

Aim small, miss small.

Back
Top Bottom