Dolphins deal Rodgers to Saints for draft pick | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins deal Rodgers to Saints for draft pick

Originally posted by Merman
Now we take the full cap hit of his two years of remaining amortized bonus. It was $750K a year for two remaining years. Is $750K worth a 7th round pick??? Apparently the F.O. does think it has the cap room to take the total cap hit this year. So they must be around $2.5 million under the cap now.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing.

Anyone knows what was the cap hit for cutting Rodgers after June 1?

Originally posted by Saintsfan4life
Hey guys, Saints fan here.
I wonder what is the term of Rodgers' contract with the Fins. I've seen 2.1 mil, 2.0 mil, and nflpa.org has his base salary at 530k with 1.5 mil in incentive

No word on whether he restructured again. I assume New Orleans will work out a new contract for him as he could make up to $2 million this year and his # next year is pretty high from all the restructuring done to this point.

Now we take the full cap hit of his two years of remaining amortized bonus. It was $750K a year for two remaining years. Is $750K worth a 7th round pick??? Apparently the F.O. does think it has the cap room to take the total cap hit this year. So they must be around $2.5 million under the cap now.

Obviously we've had some talks with Griese, NFL rules or no. The FO has to know to the penny what he'll sign for, or they wouldn't have taken the risk. I'd say it make it unlikely we'll get ANY veteran O-line help however. Almost impossible.

Originally posted by Saintsfan4life
Hey guys, Saints fan here.
I wonder what is the term of Rodgers' contract with the Fins. I've seen 2.1 mil, 2.0 mil, and nflpa.org has his base salary at 530k with 1.5 mil in incentive

This is what I have:

Dolphins | Contract Updates - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 00:31:33 -0800

As an update to previous stories, the Sun Sentinel reports the terms of the contracts signed by two free agents with the Miami Dolphins on Saturday. LB Derrick Rodgers was re-signed to a four-year contract believed to be worth $10 million, with a signing bonus believed to be $3 million.
Dolphins | Contract Details: Rodgers - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 00:35:47 -0800

Jason Cole reports for the Miami Herald Miami Dolphins LB Derrick Rodgers simply reduced his 2003 salary by $1 million when he accepted a new contract for the 2003 season. His base salary was reduced to $1.1 million from $2.1 million.

I would go with what the NFLPA has since the reporters don't always get it right and the Dolphins will eat the remaining signing bonus.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

No word on whether he restructured again. I assume New Orleans will work out a new contract for him as he could make up to $2 million this year and his # next year is pretty high from all the restructuring done to this point.

Can't redo the deal for 12 months. If he was cut they could have resigned him. If the Saints are going to use him as a backup then there is not much reason to worry about the incentives.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

Obviously we've had some talks with Griese, NFL rules or no. The FO has to know to the penny what he'll sign for, or they wouldn't have taken the risk. I'd say it make it unlikely we'll get ANY veteran O-line help however. Almost impossible.

I suppose I'm naive but I don't believe in cheating and don't think the Dolphin's F.O. would risk reputation, fines or draft picks. The more likely reason would be that they are going to sign a #2 QB to a one year deal appropriate for a #2 QB.
IMO that would be around $1 million maybe $1.5 max.

Can't redo the deal for 12 months. If he was cut they could have resigned him. If the Saints are going to use him as a backup then there is not much reason to worry about the incentives.

I'm talking about next year when his cap # is going to be huge cause of the current restructuring.

Thing about June 1st is no matter what you still pay the full accelerated bonus. Part of it may be this year, part of it next year, but you gotta ask yourselves do we really want to go into the next offseason and have a good sized chunk missing from that cap because of a guy we haven't had on our team for over a year, a dude who wasnt even that great anyway?

Might as well bite the bullet now and take the full cap blow rather than sacrifice future cap money for a guy we're not even keeping on the team. And we weren't keeping the guy on the team this season because of the incentives. Even if the guy sits on the bench he could end up earning like $1 million in incentives just because we improved in team areas like total wins or something.

I suppose I'm naive but I don't believe in cheating and don't think the Dolphin's F.O. would risk reputation, fines or draft picks. The more likely reason would be that they are going to sign a #2 QB to a one year deal appropriate for a #2 QB.
IMO that would be around $1 million maybe $1.5 max.

Hardly cheating....every team does it, and it's basically expected, especially when the players current team has given their permission for such talks. We're not talking every detail worked out, just the bottom line numbers. One call to Griese's agent with a question along the lines of..."so, hypothetically speaking, how much would it cost to get this done". Heck, it doesn't even have to be direct all the time. The agent tells somebody, and that 3rd party tells the Phins FO. Seriously, if Griese is signed within 72 hours of being cut, it's a LOCK that the figures have already been exchanged.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Thing about June 1st is no matter what you still pay the full accelerated bonus. Part of it may be this year, part of it next year, but you gotta ask yourselves do we really want to go into the next offseason and have a good sized chunk missing from that cap because of a guy we haven't had on our team for over a year, a dude who wasnt even that great anyway?

Might as well bite the bullet now and take the full cap blow rather than sacrifice future cap money for a guy we're not even keeping on the team. And we weren't keeping the guy on the team this season because of the incentives. Even if the guy sits on the bench he could end up earning like $1 million in incentives just because we improved in team areas like total wins or something.

AGREED!! I HATE dead cap money!!!! Nothing more frustrating than seeing 3-4 million dollars cut off the cap room before the first active players name is even shown.

Dang, a 7th Rounder? That sucks. We should have just cut him, the 7th rounder is going to do absolutely nothing for us.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

Hardly cheating....every team does it, and it's basically expected, especially when the players current team has given their permission for such talks. We're not talking every detail worked out, just the bottom line numbers. One call to Griese's agent with a question along the lines of..."so, hypothetically speaking, how much would it cost to get this done". Heck, it doesn't even have to be direct all the time. The agent tells somebody, and that 3rd party tells the Phins FO. Seriously, if Griese is signed within 72 hours of being cut, it's a LOCK that the figures have already been exchanged.

I did forget that the Bronco's allowed his agent to explore trades and they would never have traded Griese as the cap hit would have been too much. :)

wasnt griese given permission to discuss options with other teams? hardly cheating if thats the case.

Originally posted by Dolphins2002
Dang, a 7th Rounder? That sucks. We should have just cut him, the 7th rounder is going to do absolutely nothing for us.

I just don't understand that kind of thinking...a 7th rounder isn't useless, and can also be bundled to get a depth player next year. Heck, I'd GLADLY package that 7th with a 6th or 5th for a journeyman LT right now.

Back
Top Bottom