Dolphins deal Rodgers to Saints for draft pick | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins deal Rodgers to Saints for draft pick

I like the move, and while most of us are all disapointed that we only got a 7th round pick, it's truley better than nothing, and you can't say that no 7th round pick has ever made it, so it give us some very small flexibility.

I would rather take Rodgers' entire cap hit now instead of little now and the rest next year, because of the fact that we are in a pretty good cap situation this year and we can afford it. On the other hand, next year might be pretty tough salary cap wise so it helps in that sense. It's not a major blockbuster move, but it is a decent one.

Next up, Brian Griese :band: :drinkers:

Originally posted by aquaman
wasnt griese given permission to discuss options with other teams? hardly cheating if thats the case.

He was given permission by the team...but the NFL ruled that he still couldn't sign a deal until June 2nd. They are enforcing the letter of the law with that statement, but unless the Phins and his agent were overt about it, it's HIGHLY doubtful they would do anything about it since the Bronco's wouldn't be complaining about it.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

Obviously we've had some talks with Griese, NFL rules or no. The FO has to know to the penny what he'll sign for, or they wouldn't have taken the risk. I'd say it make it unlikely we'll get ANY veteran O-line help however. Almost impossible.

Griese was given permission by the Broncos to seek a trade, which really meant he could begin negotiating with teams about his contract terms before June1. No way the Broncos were going to release him before June 1. No way anyone would trade for him because they'd have to assume his contract. This way the Broncos basically told him that he'd be getting his walking papers after June 1, but they'd at least let him talk to teams about where he'd go and for how much in the mean time. So, you are correct in assuming that the Dolphins probably have some general agreement in place with Griese and his agent ready to go once he's released.

Originally posted by DannyNoonan

Griese was given permission by the Broncos to seek a trade, which really meant he could begin negotiating with teams about his contract terms before June1. No way the Broncos were going to release him before June 1. No way anyone would trade for him because they'd have to assume his contract. This way the Broncos basically told him that he'd be getting his walking papers after June 1, but they'd at least let him talk to teams about where he'd go and for how much in the mean time. So, you are correct in assuming that the Dolphins probably have some general agreement in place with Griese and his agent ready to go once he's released.

Again, see above...the NFL said he couldn't have official talks until after June 2nd. In a nutshell...the Bronco's don't have the authority to grant him permission to do anything more than seek a trade...he can't negotiate terms until after he's cut according to the letter of the law.

Originally posted by Migs182005
I like the move, and while most of us are all disapointed that we only got a 7th round pick, it's truley better than nothing, and you can't say that no 7th round pick has ever made it, so it give us some very small flexibility.

I would rather take Rodgers' entire cap hit now instead of little now and the rest next year, because of the fact that we are in a pretty good cap situation this year and we can afford it. On the other hand, next year might be pretty tough salary cap wise so it helps in that sense. It's not a major blockbuster move, but it is a decent one.

Next up, Brian Griese :band: :drinkers:

Perhaps the 7th rounder will be used to move up a few spots in an earlier round...that might make it look more attractive.

And while I also like taking the cap hit now instead of spreading it out over two years, I am worried that this might mean that we will not be able to sign any veteran FA OT as injury insurance (like PhionPhan stated).

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Thing about June 1st is no matter what you still pay the full accelerated bonus. Part of it may be this year, part of it next year, but you gotta ask yourselves do we really want to go into the next offseason and have a good sized chunk missing from that cap because of a guy we haven't had on our team for over a year, a dude who wasnt even that great anyway?

Might as well bite the bullet now and take the full cap blow rather than sacrifice future cap money for a guy we're not even keeping on the team. And we weren't keeping the guy on the team this season because of the incentives. Even if the guy sits on the bench he could end up earning like $1 million in incentives just because we improved in team areas like total wins or something.

I agree 100% about the dead cap concept. Bite the bullet now...

One thing I believe is that despite any previous critism of DW and Speilman, cap management is probably their strongest area. They don't overpay, negociate contracts agressively and I trust this was the best way to part with Rodgers.

As far as knowing Griese's exact salary, it really doesn't matter. Regardless of what his 'demands' are, we will only pay what we feel he's worth. And if we did need additional cap space we certainly could get it. Even without cutting players like Perry or McKnight additional cap sap could be squeezed out of existing contracts (Zack, JT, Madison, etc.) by guaranteeing some base salary and converting it to signing bonus. The borrowing now to pay later isn't the best strategy, but we could probably sign any that we really wanted to... I don't advise it, but it is possible.

Originally posted by Dude

I agree 100% about the dead cap concept. Bite the bullet now...

One thing I believe is that despite any previous critism of DW and Speilman, cap management is probably their strongest area. They don't overpay, negociate contracts agressively and I trust this was the best way to part with Rodgers.

As far as knowing Griese's exact salary, it really doesn't matter. Regardless of what his 'demands' are, we will only pay what we feel he's worth. And if we did need additional cap space we certainly could get it. Even without cutting players like Perry or McKnight additional cap sap could be squeezed out of existing contracts (Zack, JT, Madison, etc.) by guaranteeing some base salary and converting it to signing bonus. The borrowing now to pay later isn't the best strategy, but we could probably sign any that we really wanted to... I don't advise it, but it is possible.

I don't think that's the case...the Phins FO has allowed the media to declare Griese a "done deal", without doing anything to contradict them. If there was ANY doubt about our getting him, they would have thrown some water on that fire to prevent a PR nightmare if he wasn't signed. If you doubt that, ask yourself what kind of sh!tstorm Wanny would be in if Griese DIDN'T sign after June 1st!!!

Re: Re: D. Rodgers traded

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

I don't get it..if he was traded, why do we have any Cap problems..I thought if a player is traded, his entire salary situation goes with him, thus leaving us high and dry of any cap implications.

We are still responsible for any remaining portion of his signing bonus.

Re: Re: D. Rodgers traded

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

I don't get it..if he was traded, why do we have any Cap problems..I thought if a player is traded, his entire salary situation goes with him, thus leaving us high and dry of any cap implications.

Salary yes...signing bonus no. That stays with us since he was payed that bonus as a Phin.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Thing about June 1st is no matter what you still pay the full accelerated bonus. Part of it may be this year, part of it next year, but you gotta ask yourselves do we really want to go into the next offseason and have a good sized chunk missing from that cap because of a guy we haven't had on our team for over a year, a dude who wasnt even that great anyway?

Might as well bite the bullet now and take the full cap blow rather than sacrifice future cap money for a guy we're not even keeping on the team. And we weren't keeping the guy on the team this season because of the incentives. Even if the guy sits on the bench he could end up earning like $1 million in incentives just because we improved in team areas like total wins or something.

Taking the smaller cap hit in this case of $750K rather than the $1.5 million would have made sense now. Next year we are free of Gardener's $6 million dead cap hit and $750K is nothing to work around at the beginning of the free agency period.

I understand your point of making some incentives for sitting on the bench but making all the incentives for sitting on the bench is really stretching it.

I gotta agree that taking care of a bunch of dead cap space now, is much better than waiting for next season. Most fans get so pissed when they see we are still being charged for someone who isn't on our team and in retrospect, feel that they should have just done it last year, this way we are. Besides, if anything, this helps with the cap situation for next year as well to hopefully bring in more free agents, re-sign players and sign draft picks.

As for the seventh round pick, at first I was a little dissapointed. I then looked at the calender and realized that he would have been gone come next Monday and probably wouldn't have gotten squat. This was probably the only deal on the board and perhaps N.O. gave Miami a deadline to make it happen. Besides, Rodger will most likely miss at least one game due to his altercation with his wife, boyfriend and police from last year, and maybe even more games. So, if we clear some salary for next year and get a draft pick, as well as get someone off the team that might be taking a roster spot without playing for awhile anyways, I say it was a good trade.

Originally posted by Dolphins2002
Dang, a 7th Rounder? That sucks. We should have just cut him, the 7th rounder is going to do absolutely nothing for us.

Listen GrassHopper, a seventh got us Sage Rosenfels so theres a flaw in that kind of thinking.:)

Back
Top Bottom