Dolphins Facing Interesting Decisions On Two Veteran Receivers. The Potential Fallout | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Facing Interesting Decisions On Two Veteran Receivers. The Potential Fallout

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
As they embark on this rebuilding program, the Dolphins could make a case that they don’t need to make a single significant move at receiver besides releasing DeVante Parker, thus freeing themselves from a $9.4 million salary and cap hit next season.

After all, a group of Albert Wilson, Jakeem Grant, Kenny Stills, Danny Amendola and Brice Butler would suffice for a team that will enter next season without any realistic aspirations of a playoff spot.

But here’s the flip side: On a team that’s rebuilding, is there a point in keeping a 33-year-old possession receiver in Amendola, albeit one who led Miami in catches (59) and yards (575) this season?

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article224680400.html

My initial take on veterans is this--its a new coach and he is going to clean house, so I'm assuming they're gone unless A) they're indispensable, B) their contract/dead cap makes them too expensive to jettison, or C) they're one of the very few guys the coach _knows_ will be loyal to him and a leader in the dressing room. Amendola's only chance of staying is through option C. Stills might have a shot at staying through option B. Parker is gone, when looking for a reason to keep him, he fails all three tests. So, my prediction is that all three are gone this offseason … but it's early yet, so let's wait and see. The teardown hasn't even begun.

cutting Parker is in the no-brainer category, the fact that cutting Amendola would save $6 million is tempting(I probably would) but I imagine with their history, Flores will want to keep him. Stills is still young and good which might make him most trade-able and I'm hanging on to Wilson at all costs

I think Amendola and Parker need to go for sure. Parker is...well Parker. Amendola looked slow, seemed to go down right at the point of contact, and just wasn't any sort of difference maker. He was pretty crappy on punt returns too. Nine fair catches on 20 attempts with a long return of 12 yards.

There are some older vets you may keep because of experience and leadership ability. If Amendola is not expensive, a good teacher and good in the locker room and produces consistently, I agree with keeping him. A guy like Wake though can go. Older vets that are situational take up cap space and snaps. And I love Wake.

Back
Top Bottom