Dolphins Final Cuts | Page 26 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Final Cuts

Gator was my Rishard this year so I'm very happy we're giving him his chance. It was time for Thomas and thigpen to move on. Congrats to darkwa. Brenner's the only cut so far that i feel unhappy about (hazel should make the ps) but hauling pouncey's injured, moronic, felonious ass around meant someone had to get cut.

What's hilarious is that everyone with a brain in their head realizes this by now... yet people still expect this team -- made up of his picks/signings, mostly -- to go something like 10-6 and compete for the playoffs and maybe make a run.

It's just a stunning disconnect... it's as if people think Jeff Ireland was stocking the vending machines instead of, you know, picking the players.

Ireland wasn't incapable of picking talent; he was just completely incapable of assembling a roster. Every year, we went into the season with at least one unit that was basically expansion level garbage. Last year it was RB, OL, and LB. This year it looks like it's LB and S.

I honestly think we can win 10-11 games if we can block anybody this time around.

Ireland wasn't incapable of picking talent; he was just completely incapable of assembling a roster. Every year, we went into the season with at least one unit that was basically expansion level garbage. Last year it was RB, OL, and LB. This year it looks like it's LB and S.

I honestly think we can win 10-11 games if we can block anybody this time around.
Prob is, LB and S are interdependent. Not good to be weak at both.... One instinctive guy could make a big difference.Pat Angerer maybe?

We weren't fixing the linebacker spot in one season and not in the last draft. While that was one of the deeper drafts, talent wise, it was very weak at linebacker and TE.

We weren't fixing the linebacker spot in one season and not in the last draft. While that was one of the deeper drafts, talent wise, it was very weak at linebacker and TE.

I'm certainly not blaming Hickey for the LB disaster this season. They wanted Shazier and he was gone when our pick came on the clock. Maybe he could have done more? But the truth is that Wheeler and Ellerbe can't really be cut this season for cap reasons, and nobody would trade for them.

I think the decision to replace Clemons with Delmas was a bad one, though, so that's on Hickey.

Prob is, LB and S are interdependent. Not good to be weak at both.... One instinctive guy could make a big difference.Pat Angerer maybe?

Get Coyle one great instinctive player at LB or safety and we have a bonafide elite defense. And its already elite by some measures.

I think we all know i could object to the first part...but i'll move past that.

I'd consider our line to be near expansion level for this coming season. Before a snap has been played, 40% of our line is in serious trouble and it doesnt look like we have a solution. I have no idea what we plan to do at guard. And center is only covered if Pouncey returns completely healthy(something i rarely assume for any injury) and stays out of trouble...and if he went through the league mandated psychological testing, which he said he would not. As for our tackles, we have a rookie and a guy who has completed 16 games in a year exactly once. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Other years i think this line might have sufficed(for a year anyways). With the right coaching and the right schedule, we'd have been alright. Unfortunately, this is not the year. Just to many teams with great(or the potential to be great) pass rushing fronts. For the 6th year or so in a row, our line will be a major problem. Still a few first round picks away from fixing it.

Get Coyle one great instinctive player at LB or safety and we have a bonafide elite defense. And its already elite by some measures.
You say that like Coyle is buddy ryan, but regardless of how good a coach he is I agree that there's no question we're one great player inside at lb or s away from being a substantially better D. That's the missing piece and was my biggest want from this off-season.

I think we all know i could object to the first part...but i'll move past that.

I'd consider our line to be near expansion level for this coming season. Before a snap has been played, 40% of our line is in serious trouble and it doesnt look like we have a solution. I have no idea what we plan to do at guard. And center is only covered if Pouncey returns completely healthy(something i rarely assume for any injury) and stays out of trouble...and if he went through the league mandated psychological testing, which he said he would not. As for our tackles, we have a rookie and a guy who has completed 16 games in a year exactly once. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Other years i think this line might have sufficed(for a year anyways). With the right coaching and the right schedule, we'd have been alright. Unfortunately, this is not the year. Just to many teams with great(or the potential to be great) pass rushing fronts. For the 6th year or so in a row, our line will be a major problem. Still a few first round picks away from fixing it.

While I realize that it was pretty much impossible to assemble a good OL basically from scratch in one offseason, our tackle play is night and day from what I saw last season. Colledge can hold up decently in pass pro and if Pouncey can get well soon (yeah I know, Pouncey), our OL should be competent at least.

I said last season that I don't even expect a good offensive line to be able to fairly judge my quarterback, just a competent one. I think that with Pouncey, Albert, James and Colledge, they will be competent in pass protection.

I'm surprised by the negativity towards our oline situation. I believe we're in a faaaaaar better position than we were last year. Hickey's done a fine job with it. Our T situation is unquestionably and infinitely better. A very good case could be made that our G situation is better as well. It's not unreasonable to believe that Shelley Smith has the potential to outperform Jerry and incognito. As far as the C position I don't think as highly of pouncey in his ability or value as most of you do and I consider satele an extremely able last minute replacement so I'm not too torn up about that position either. This oline is better. Much better.

I'm surprised by the negativity towards our oline situation. I believe we're in a faaaaaar better position than we were last year.

We certainly are. The tackle play we had last year was HORRIBLE. You'd be hard pressed to look around the NFL in the past ten years and find a pair of tackles worse than Jon Martin and Tyson Clabo. Our team had its worst rushing season in franchise history in part because we couldn't block anyone. We gave up the franchise record for sacks because we couldn't block anyone. We wound up with a QB who was hit even more than he was sacked because we couldn't block anyone. Busted hand, busted shoulder, busted knee by the end of the year. You can put some blame on the OC, on the QB, on the TEs, and on the RBs, but most of that was squarely on the OL, and more than anyone, on the tackles. It hurt just to watch that cut-up of pressures and sacks, Clabo was so damn bad.

I guarantee the pass protection will be better. It will be a lot better. Tackle situation has improved a thousand-fold, defenses won't know from the damn snap count whether it's a run or a pass, Moreno can actually pick up blitzes, Dion Sims has improved his blocking, and maybe we won't have as many tells on the snap (bye bye, Mr. Jerry). But I don't think our OL is going to be good. Colledge is not a particularly good player and Shelley Smith probably isn't either. Satele is not good.

Oh, and I believe we will run the ball more, especially on the read option, and also put Ryan Tannehill on the move a lot more -- so that will mask some of our deficiencies.

BwUHWaUCcAEJx3Y-1.jpg

I'm surprised by the negativity towards our oline situation. I believe we're in a faaaaaar better position than we were last year. Hickey's done a fine job with it. Our T situation is unquestionably and infinitely better. A very good case could be made that our G situation is better as well. It's not unreasonable to believe that Shelley Smith has the potential to outperform Jerry and incognito. As far as the C position I don't think as highly of pouncey in his ability or value as most of you do and I consider satele an extremely able last minute replacement so I'm not too torn up about that position either. This oline is better. Much better.

After the investments we made, id hope to god we'd be improved. If we hadnt then we'd be in some really deep ****.

...but simply improving wasnt enough. The question isnt whether we got better(and given our line last year pretty much any move we'd make would make it better) but whether its fixed. And its not. At least not enough to go up against the Chandlers Jones and Vince Wilfork, Kyle Williams and Mario Williams, Dontari Poe and Justin Houston, DeMarcus Ware and Von Miller, Terrell Suggs and Elvis Dumervil, Ndamukong Suh and Ezekiel Ansah, and etc, etc, etc. That Suh one especially worries me, given how McCoy ate our line alive during the preseason.

I cant argue that our line is better(read: assuming Albert stays healthy and Pouncey returns healthy). But the improvements we made didnt close the gap with the talent on the teams we will be lining up against. Like i said, other years this line might have sufficed. But we are in for a gauntlet of fierce defensive fronts. I expect 40 sacks on the season and that number only goes up(drastically) if we suffer an injury or lose a player for some other reason.

Back
Top Bottom