Dolphins | J. Allen playing free safety | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins | J. Allen playing free safety

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
Dolphins | J. Allen playing free safety
Sat, 6 May 2006 20:06:12 -0700
Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports Miami Dolphins rookie DB Jason Allen is being used exclusively as a free safety during this minicamp when Miami is in its base defense. Allen also is getting snaps at nickel cornerback in pass situations, and head coach Nick Saban has said he wants the rookie to master those two spots first. "Wherever Coach Saban feels I can help the team out more, whether it is corner, safety, whatever, I just want to be on the field playing," Allen said.

Very good, whichever position Saban feels will benefit the Dolphins then I'm all for it.Allen, is very fast and if he gets the Free Safety spot, he can cover alot of ground and take pressure off the corners.GO DOLPHINS:dolphins:

awesome that means will allen and travis daniels will be gettin the major playin time at cb

Mmk. I sorta guessed he would be the free safety. I guess the other safety postion is up for grabs between Tillman, Cooper, and possibly Bell.

I doubt they'll just hand him the starting FS job. He'll have to earn the job, though I suspect he will.

I like what I hear from saban I love knowing that all of our safeties know how to play strong and free so depending on formation the Left and right safety will know what his job is. If u think about it u got a pro left and the tight end motions to the right the safeties have to switch responsibilities and effect swith from being the free to the strong and vice versa. Im glad that he makes it so our safeties know all the responsibilities It limits mistakes made but lack of knowledge.

Well, the Dolphins don't have positions such as Strong Safety and Free Safety. What they should be saying is he's playing safety on the weak side, which IIRC is the right side.

Good news. I expected he would be a safety, and I am glad to see Saban starting him off there.

Nubs projected starting secondary:

CB: Daniels
SS: Hill
FS: Allen
CB: Allen

Nublar7 said:
Good news. I expected he would be a safety, and I am glad to see Saban starting him off there.

Nubs projected starting secondary:

CB: Daniels
SS: Hill
FS: Allen
CB: Allen

I'm hoping that Poole makes a run at starting as well but that's a good lineup.
If being a rookie, Allen isn't ready maybe Bell will be ready to step up and start at FS.

We dont have a FS and a SS. We have a left and right safety. Depending on where the strength of the formation is, that safety takes on the FS or SS responsibility.

Allen might be switching so he is on the weak side of all formations now in camp, but in Saban's system he expects all safeties to know both positions and both positions are interchangeable. He is probably only learning one position in mini camp and will learn the other at a later time.

Therefore those who say Allen will be a FS or SS I believe are incorrect....... unless Saban plans to switch him depending on the strength of the formation, which I dont believe he will.

DearbornDolfan said:
Well, the Dolphins don't have positions such as Strong Safety and Free Safety. What they should be saying is he's playing safety on the weak side, which IIRC is the right side.

You are correct in your terminology. The weak side however isnt always the right side. Depending on how the offense lines up is what dictates wether the RS or LS becomes the FS or SS.

Back
Top Bottom