Dolphins | J. Allen playing free safety | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins | J. Allen playing free safety

Gitrdone said:
I agree with all but Daniels, he is good, i just feel Will Poole will be the better choice come the start of the season. Unless there is an injury.
i dont know. safety or corner? daniels needs to be on the field kid has a nose for the ball. i dont think itd be to bad to see him and jason allen as the safties.

PhinsTD said:
What exactly are you trying to accomplish with your post here? Other than TRYING to sound as though you know more than everyone else?

Just chill out a little with your quoting and answering as though you're the authority.

Jeez. I was just trying to explain to everyone the differences between the defense we run now and what Wanny ran. It seems there are a lot of people on here who are still thinking in the Wanny regime. It took me some time last year before I started to understand Saban's defense and I dont claim to be the authority, I still have a TON to learn about it.

If everyone wants to think we still play the same defense we did with Wanny, thats fine with me. I will no longer try to point people in the right direction.

FiN.in.RI said:
It's alright man.. It's his repertoire, we just live with it here.

It's like this: Some people read a quote somewhere by someone who knows things (Saban in this case), and they pass it on like they are the ones who invented the term (or technique in this case). It's all about power hungry, napolean syndrome type stuff. IMVHO.
:lol:

So I originally correct people and try to explain whats the difference in the defense we run by nomenclature compared to what we used to run, which is what a lot of people STILL think, and now im a know-it-all power hungry guy? What would you rather me do? Just not say anything at all and not try to teach anyone anything? I never claimed to be the authority or the inventor of Sabans defense, I BARELY have scraped the skin of it and openly admit it. Just the small amount I do know I was trying to help other people know how our secondary works. With all the threads on "where should allen play" and "what does our secondary look like" I figured it would be helpful for people to know how our DBs operate before they predict who will play each position based on their strengths and weaknesses.

:lol: Give me a break RI. Anytime you can take a cheapshot at me, you will. So im not suprised you are trying to slander my response. If a NEUTRAL person read this thread, I highly doubt they would blow the same BS you do. Now go call your mod-buddies and attempt to ban me.

Trekbiz said:
"Negatory"
You have a point but....
If your going to get really technical.
Actually there IS a Free Safety and a Strong Safety in the defense.

The players just interchange in that role dependent upon the situation and as another stated, you can be sure that one plays the FS role more than the other.

Agreed. I was trying to get across we dont have a FS and SS by nomenclature. I agree with your second paragraph. The safety who is more better suited as your traditional "FS" will be on the weakside more than likely. However all safeties will need to know both positions.

DearbornDolfan said:
So, you're listening to an idiot hack over Saban himself? The only position that exists is safety. Oh, and it's Star CB.
Some people are the type that dont like to see where they are wrong and after a few posts you just stop explaining because they try to argue and cover up how they were wrong in the first place. Salguero screwed up by technically mis-naming his article. By what do you expect from Armando.

CVass said:
There most certainly is a distinction between the two. Yes, there is no pre-determined FS and SS, and yes, they don't trade on motion.

But the game of football, and defensive planning is built on tendencies. Percentage laws in football tells us that right handed QBs have right handed offenses, meaning that the TE is on the right side of the formation from the offenses perspective. If most of the time, the strength is to the left (from the defense's perspective), the physically imposing would be to the TE side, and the more ballhawking Safety would be to the Right side.

The assets of the LS and RS instead of a true FS and SS, is seen in our coverage selection. Since our defense plays a lot of Cover 3 and Cover 1, you teach both safeties to be able to role in the box, play centerfield, etc. However, Saban, and any DC worth his salt, will make sure that most the time, the better ballhawk will rotate to the MOF (Middle of the Field) for Cover 3 and 1, while the more imposing safety would rotate into the box (or go man-on-man in C1).

So yes, there is no FS/SS in theory since they don't trade, but when the Sky/Cloud/Funnel/Rotational calls are made, you bet your *** that whoever calls the plays has the coverage/physical traits in mind that are traditionally seen in a FS/SS. As I have said, you have to have change-ups; you gotta switch responsibilities to avoid being predictable -- but you also have to play to your strengths. The scary part is the line is blurring and that's why Saban doesn't make an actual "distinction."

However, I bet my car that Allen will be playing more Centerfield than the other safety!

Oh well, there is my two cents...

Gracias for the more detailed post. Agreed when we actually label a RS and a LS, tencendywise the better ballhawk will be labeled the RS.

it is amazing how saban does all these things...he has slowly turned are secondary from one of the oldest to one of the youngest without IMO loosing a step at all (maybe a little) BUT in his defense compared to the defenses we used to run we are not going to see any drop in skill level and productivity

Nublar7 said:
Good news. I expected he would be a safety, and I am glad to see Saban starting him off there.

Nubs projected starting secondary:

CB: Daniels
SS: Hill
FS: Allen
CB: Allen

I think Bell will take the SS spot. Also don't rule out poole as a potential starter.

Didnt Tillman play decent when he had the chance at safety? I wouldnt mind him being the starter

Philter25 said:
Jeez. I was just trying to explain to everyone the differences between the defense we run now and what Wanny ran. It seems there are a lot of people on here who are still thinking in the Wanny regime. It took me some time last year before I started to understand Saban's defense and I dont claim to be the authority, I still have a TON to learn about it.

If everyone wants to think we still play the same defense we did with Wanny, thats fine with me. I will no longer try to point people in the right direction.

It's all good. I probably took your post wrong, in the time I've seen you posting I haven't known you to be a jerk.

It was also late and I took have had some help taking it wrong. :lol:

PLEEZHELPUSNICK said:
i dont know. safety or corner? daniels needs to be on the field kid has a nose for the ball. i dont think itd be to bad to see him and jason allen as the safties.
Bell is supposed to have a nose for creating plays. Same goes for Poole. Im hoping Bell who got 3 sacks by the way last season comes on strong as well as Poole. Allen may be needed at CB as well as Safety. Saban likes versatilty and with Allen hes got that. Personally if we are set with Will Allen/Daniels and Poole then Jason Allen should be more at Safety for us because the guy is regarded as a ball hawk and decent tackler and we need a Safety.

Back
Top Bottom