Dolphins | J. Allen playing free safety | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins | J. Allen playing free safety

DearbornDolfan said:
So, you're listening to an idiot hack over Saban himself? The only position that exists is safety. Oh, and it's Star CB.

I'm not listening to anyone, I posted my original one because I saw that article, then I read Saban's post and changed it.:D

Dolphan23 said:
dude awesome sig!

Btw you're right with you said . He's gonna have to learn all positions....so he probably will end up playing both. I think the key reason of why Jason was drafted was because of his ability to be a versatile player. With Saban said about the responsibilities changing, in terms of coverage, like you mentioned this should benefit him in the long run to become a starter in the secondary.

Yep, Allen will really help our secondary!!!

Nublar7 said:
Good news. I expected he would be a safety, and I am glad to see Saban starting him off there.

Nubs projected starting secondary:

CB: Daniels
SS: Hill
FS: Allen
CB: Allen

I agree with all but Daniels, he is good, i just feel Will Poole will be the better choice come the start of the season. Unless there is an injury.

There most certainly is a distinction between the two. Yes, there is no pre-determined FS and SS, and yes, they don't trade on motion.

But the game of football, and defensive planning is built on tendencies. Percentage laws in football tells us that right handed QBs have right handed offenses, meaning that the TE is on the right side of the formation from the offenses perspective. If most of the time, the strength is to the left (from the defense's perspective), the physically imposing would be to the TE side, and the more ballhawking Safety would be to the Right side.

The assets of the LS and RS instead of a true FS and SS, is seen in our coverage selection. Since our defense plays a lot of Cover 3 and Cover 1, you teach both safeties to be able to role in the box, play centerfield, etc. However, Saban, and any DC worth his salt, will make sure that most the time, the better ballhawk will rotate to the MOF (Middle of the Field) for Cover 3 and 1, while the more imposing safety would rotate into the box (or go man-on-man in C1).

So yes, there is no FS/SS in theory since they don't trade, but when the Sky/Cloud/Funnel/Rotational calls are made, you bet your *** that whoever calls the plays has the coverage/physical traits in mind that are traditionally seen in a FS/SS. As I have said, you have to have change-ups; you gotta switch responsibilities to avoid being predictable -- but you also have to play to your strengths. The scary part is the line is blurring and that's why Saban doesn't make an actual "distinction."

However, I bet my car that Allen will be playing more Centerfield than the other safety!

Oh well, there is my two cents...

Philter25 said:
Right from the horses mouth. He is learning the weakside safety responsibilities..... the strongside responsibilities will probably come later.

Read my post. Not "yeah that"

Read my post.

Ditto.

Interesting. Read my post.
Nope.

Negatory.
Negative.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with your post here? Other than TRYING to sound as though you know more than everyone else?

Just chill out a little with your quoting and answering as though you're the authority.

Whats going to happen at the corner position...

Travis Daniels i think gets to start no matter what...He played so well for us last year and is going to be something special...If Will Poole hadnt gone down with the Knee injury Travis Daniels woulndt have seen half the snaps he saw this year...So its a hard call...Alot of people are saying Will Allen is going to start hands down...But my personal opinion is that Will Poole and Travis Daniels are going to start next year...Will Allen will make a push but in the end Poole and Daniels will win the job...What does everyone else think??

SweetLou said:
Mmk. I sorta guessed he would be the free safety. I guess the other safety postion is up for grabs between Tillman, Cooper, and possibly Bell.

If you know about Saban's D, there really isn't a FS and SS...it's more of a left S and right S...in fact, the 4 DBs are almost interchangeable in his D...If he learns the "FS" spot as Arguello is suggesting, then he'll know the other spot as well. As far as the nickel goes (or Money position that Saban uses)...once that is learned, the Star position is actually an easier position to learn for a rook...

Any way you look at it, unless Daniels, Poole or Will Allen or even Mitchell fall on their faces completely, I would expect Allen to stay at that spot...the beauty of the system is that any of the 4 could play any of the positions...lets not forget about Hill or Goodman either...

WISfinfan13 said:
Travis Daniels i think gets to start no matter what...He played so well for us last year and is going to be something special...If Will Poole hadnt gone down with the Knee injury Travis Daniels woulndt have seen half the snaps he saw this year...So its a hard call...Alot of people are saying Will Allen is going to start hands down...But my personal opinion is that Will Poole and Travis Daniels are going to start next year...Will Allen will make a push but in the end Poole and Daniels will win the job...What does everyone else think??

I think that in Poole and Daniels, you have the same thing. CBs that are a step slower than ideal. Allen and Allen are faster, for sure. The question is whether or not J. Allen can adapt to the CB spot in the pros. The other question is whether Mitchell wakes up after his injury...He was a very good cover corner in college with legit 4.3 speed before his injury...Hill and Goodman cannot be discarded either...my guess is that we will let a pretty good DB or two go when all is said and done...The secondary could very well be a position of strength on this team this season....If I had to guess, I'd say the lineup will look something like Allen, Daniels, Poole, Allen. Mitchell and Goodman will be the extra CBs with Bell, Cooper and Tillman battling out for 2 spots...

CVass said:
There most certainly is a distinction between the two. Yes, there is no pre-determined FS and SS, and yes, they don't trade on motion.

But the game of football, and defensive planning is built on tendencies. Percentage laws in football tells us that right handed QBs have right handed offenses, meaning that the TE is on the right side of the formation from the offenses perspective. If most of the time, the strength is to the left (from the defense's perspective), the physically imposing would be to the TE side, and the more ballhawking Safety would be to the Right side.

The assets of the LS and RS instead of a true FS and SS, is seen in our coverage selection. Since our defense plays a lot of Cover 3 and Cover 1, you teach both safeties to be able to role in the box, play centerfield, etc. However, Saban, and any DC worth his salt, will make sure that most the time, the better ballhawk will rotate to the MOF (Middle of the Field) for Cover 3 and 1, while the more imposing safety would rotate into the box (or go man-on-man in C1).

So yes, there is no FS/SS in theory since they don't trade, but when the Sky/Cloud/Funnel/Rotational calls are made, you bet your *** that whoever calls the plays has the coverage/physical traits in mind that are traditionally seen in a FS/SS. As I have said, you have to have change-ups; you gotta switch responsibilities to avoid being predictable -- but you also have to play to your strengths. The scary part is the line is blurring and that's why Saban doesn't make an actual "distinction."

However, I bet my car that Allen will be playing more Centerfield than the other safety!

Oh well, there is my two cents...

Someone who knows what he is talking about unlike other, "know-it-alls":lol:.

Cheers.

[mod] Please be respectful of one another. If there is a problem, please use the report icon [/mod]

PhinsTD said:
What exactly are you trying to accomplish with your post here? Other than TRYING to sound as though you know more than everyone else?

Just chill out a little with your quoting and answering as though you're the authority.

It's alright man..

after blowing up the secondary in the offseason, the more depth and versatility we have, the better

Philter25 said:
*Sigh* I figure "negative" because if you actually read my first post, you would see how I explain we dont have a FS and SS in our defense.

"Negatory"
You have a point but....
If your going to get really technical.
Actually there IS a Free Safety and a Strong Safety in the defense.

The players just interchange in that role dependent upon the situation and as another stated, you can be sure that one plays the FS role more than the other.

Back
Top Bottom