Dolphins may select Edwards at 2 | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins may select Edwards at 2

The ONLY Knock on Braylon are his hands. He has dropped many passes in key situations and those are the ones that stick with you. Jim Mandich(Michigan Grad and his son plays there now) said that Braylon has all the "tools" to be a top 10 receiver in this league, but he just needs to prove in the pros that he wont drop 1 out of every 3 or 4 passes thrown his way.Sometimes he drops easy passes. He will catch the tough passes but then a few plays later he'll drop an easy catch. Sometimes he also makes an easy catch look tough by jumping when he could stay on the ground and gain extra yards.That's not a good knock on a WR, his HANDS. You CAN take a gamble on a WR because he might not be that fast( say 4.6 range) but on his hands is a whole other CONCERN. The only knock on Boldin and Michael Clayton the year they came out was that they didn't have elite WR speed.....well i'll take 80+ catches a year instead of a 4.4 40 yard time.

JUST DRAFT MIKE WILLIAMS IF WE GO WR !!!!

Jimmy James said:
I thought it fitting to stop at 72.

I agree. :D

Difference of opinion on this one I guess. I'd draft Mike Williams anyways but I wouldn't mind Braylon and feel we should draft one of them if we stay at #2.

DoLpHiNz34 said:
Let's not make the same mistakes some of these teams made.

1996 draft....

1st pick....Keyshawn Johnson WR
6th pick.....Lawrence Phillips RB
7th.....Terry Glenn
8th......Tim Biakabutuka RB
14th....Eddie George RB
18th.....Eddie Kennison WR
19th.....Marvin Harrison WR
24th....Eric Moulds WR
31st....Alex Van Dyke WR
32nd....Leeland McElroy RB
34th....Amani Toomer WR
41st....Bryan Still WR
43rd....Mushin Muhammed WR
52nd...Bobby Engram WR
89th...Terrell Owens WR

Obviously, this is only one draft but look at how many of thge WRs drafted are still playing and effectively. I bring this up only because TO being drafted in the 3rd round was being used as argument.

Marvin Harrison and TO are regarded as the 2 of the best. Muhammed WAS the best last year. Eric Moulds is still very very good. Of the RBs selected in the first 2 rounds, only one is still playing and he's not even starting.

Value?

Thank you.

Jimmy James said:
Did I miss something, or are we now Denver? :rolleyes2

I guess CBs are worthless because we do well there...

You're missing the point. The point is that RB's are much easier to find later in the draft. Granted, there are a few like LT who were drafted near the beginning of the first round. This draft is deep at RB. Saban will not waste the #2 pick on a RB.

Jimmy James said:
All of these guys are top 2 round Wolverines:

David Terrell
Tai Streets
Amani Toomer (the success story in the bunch, which is friggin scary)
Derrick Alexander
Desmond Howard
Ralph "don't call me Mark OR good" Clayton
Glenn Doughty

That's purely coincedence (spelling?) You can't be serious that you look at what former players from the same school and position do when grading them. How many of those players you listed played in the same offense as Edwards or had the same coach or the same QB throwing them?

KyPhinfan13 said:
That's purely coincedence (spelling?) You can't be serious that you look at what former players from the same school and position do when grading them. How many of those players you listed played in the same offense as Edwards or had the same coach or the same QB throwing them?

When there is a substantial record of success (Auburn RB) or failure (Michigan WR), it only makes sense to look at this stuff. What is it -- bad luck? Reputation? A bad or good system? I don't know. What I do know is that nobody can explain it away. It's cute when it is for the good, but I am risk averse enough as it is so I want as few signals as possible that I'm throwing away such a valuable pick.

A kinder way of putting this that you may find more persuasive: what successful WRs come out of this Michigan system with this coach? Yep, silence.

KyPhinfan13 said:
You're missing the point. The point is that RB's are much easier to find later in the draft. Granted, there are a few like LT who were drafted near the beginning of the first round. This draft is deep at RB. Saban will not waste the #2 pick on a RB.

Let's try it this way: I'm going to list the top 5 pick WRs and RBs (1980-present) and the number of 1000 yard seasons they had in their career. I will only count rushing yards for RBs and receiving yards for WRs. If somebody is picked that high, you have to expect that sort of season at least once, right?

WRs:
Larry Fitzgerald (0)
Charles Rogers(0)
Andre Johnson (1)
Peter Warrick (0)
Keyshawn Johnson (4)
Michael Westbrook (1)
Desmond Howard (0)
Irving Fryar (5)
Kenny Jackson (0)
Lam Jones (0)

TOTAL -- 10 receivers, 4 with 1000 yard seasons, 2 with multiple 1000 yard seasons, 11 total 1000 yard seasons

RBs:
LaDanian Tomlinson (4)
Jamal Lewis (4)
Edgerrin James (4)
Ricky Williams (4)
Curtis Enis (0)
Ki-Jana Carter (0)
Marshall Faulk (7)
Garrison Hearst (4)
Blair Thomas (0)
Barry Sanders (10)
Alonzo Highsmith (0)
Brent Fullwood (0)
Bo Jackson (0)
Eric Dickerson (7)
Curt Warner (4)
George Rogers (4)
Freeman McNeil (2)
Billy Sims (3)
Curtis Dickey (1)

TOTAL -- 19 running backs, 13 with 1000 yard seasons, 12 with multiple 1000 yard seasons, 58 total 1000 yard seasons

You're running a bunch of bull, and here are the COLD HARD FACTS to bear it out. Could we get a back later? Maybe. Could we use Gordon and just not get a back? Maybe. That doesn't change that RB is a FAR, FAR SURER thing than a WR is and that TOP DRAFTED WRs ARE ALMOST NEVER THE BEST WRs IN THE GAME!!!!!!!

Jimmy James said:
Let's try it this way: I'm going to list the top 5 pick WRs and RBs (1980-present) and the number of 1000 yard seasons they had in their career. I will only count rushing yards for RBs and receiving yards for WRs. If somebody is picked that high, you have to expect that sort of season at least once, right?

WRs:
Larry Fitzgerald (0)
Charles Rogers(0)
Andre Johnson (1)
Peter Warrick (0)
Keyshawn Johnson (4)
Michael Westbrook (1)
Desmond Howard (0)
Irving Fryar (5)
Kenny Jackson (0)
Lam Jones (0)

TOTAL -- 10 receivers, 4 with 1000 yard seasons, 2 with multiple 1000 yard seasons, 11 total 1000 yard seasons

RBs:
LaDanian Tomlinson (4)
Jamal Lewis (4)
Edgerrin James (4)
Ricky Williams (4)
Curtis Enis (0)
Ki-Jana Carter (0)
Marshall Faulk (7)
Garrison Hearst (4)
Blair Thomas (0)
Barry Sanders (10)
Alonzo Highsmith (0)
Brent Fullwood (0)
Bo Jackson (0)
Eric Dickerson (7)
Curt Warner (4)
George Rogers (4)
Freeman McNeil (2)
Billy Sims (3)
Curtis Dickey (1)

TOTAL -- 19 running backs, 13 with 1000 yard seasons, 12 with multiple 1000 yard seasons, 58 total 1000 yard seasons

You're running a bunch of bull, and here are the COLD HARD FACTS to bear it out. Could we get a back later? Maybe. Could we use Gordon and just not get a back? Maybe. That doesn't change that RB is a FAR, FAR SURER thing than a WR is and that TOP DRAFTED WRs ARE ALMOST NEVER THE BEST WRs IN THE GAME!!!!!!!

Interesting...you just changed my mind on Edwards and Brown. That said, whoever Saban wants? That is who I want. ;)

Cedric Benson would be our best bet....

I mean he's a power runner, We can worry about Wide Recivers later...Jeez just draft chris henry, he's pretty good if you ask me

Then maybe a decent QB like McPherson...That would be shibby beyond belief

Bottom-line, if we get braylon edwards, I'm hanging myself in my closet!

Back
Top Bottom