Dolphins may select Edwards at 2 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins may select Edwards at 2

islandah said:
Tell them instead of Culpepper and McNabb throwing to them, it will be Feeley, and see what they think! Oh and Rice only had Montana and Young throwing to him!

So you wouldn't have drafted any of them because you didn't have a QB to throw to them at the time? This isn't a one year project.

KyPhinfan13 said:
Top-tier WR's are harder to come by than Top-tier RB's. Top-tier QB's are the hardest to find. I like Alex Smith as much as the next guy, but I don't think he's worth drafting that high.

Just so you know, we will not draft a RB at #2. I would put my paycheck on it.

So, you think it is easier to find a LaDainian Tomlinson than it is to find a Terrell Owens? Tomlinson was drafted in the top 5. Owens was a third round pick.

I don't see Pat getting franchised unless he's coming off a monster year. I'm perfectly happy to be wrong about that, though.

Pat certainly won't get franchised if we have resigned McMike yet. GreenMonster

Keeping Pat also means another year of the bench for Howard and Poole or until Pats knee gives for a game or 2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster said:
Keeping Pat also means another year of the bench for Howard and Poole or until Pats knee gives for a game or 2. GreenMonster

There is nothing wrong with keeping Poole in the bench (or in the nickel/dime role) for another year. As far as Howard goes, I think some would tell you keeping him on the bench is one of their *goals* for the year.

Remember, Pat didn't start until the later part of his second year.

braylon is good but with booker, chambers and thompson (who showed great signs of improvement last year) already on the roster i fear that edwards won't affect this team overall much more than one extra win. besides are you guys really ready to put up with the barrage of garbage straight ahead running gordon, morris and minor showed last year? trade down or not i want one of the big 3. we are not guaranteed a second rounder and even if we were i don't want a second round or third round rb on this team. i want a game breaker that ensures that we are not one dimensional and can open up such options as the play action with consistent yardage. with a good runner defenses can't just focus on the pass and an offense is much more versatile and dangerous. benson, brown or caddy in that order would be my pick.

dolfancoolio said:
braylon is good but with booker, chambers and thompson (who showed great signs of improvement last year) already on the roster i fear that edwards won't affect this team overall much more than one extra win. besides are you guys really ready to put up with the barrage of garbage straight ahead running gordon, morris and minor showed last year? trade down or not i want one of the big 3. we are not guaranteed a second rounder and even if we were i don't want a second round or third round rb on this team. i want a game breaker that ensures that we are not one dimensional and can open up such options as the play action with consistent yardage. with a good runner defenses can't just focus on the pass and an offense is much more versatile and dangerous. benson, brown or caddy in that order would be my pick.
You have to think long term and not just this season. Granted that one of the top 3 RBs would finally give us a running game(my personal choice is Brown) the idea of Edwards is very interesting. Edwards might not dominate in his rookie year, but he shows the potential of 1500+ yard seasons in the near future. This team is not a one year quick fix.

Let's not make the same mistakes some of these teams made.

1996 draft....

1st pick....Keyshawn Johnson WR
6th pick.....Lawrence Phillips RB
7th.....Terry Glenn
8th......Tim Biakabutuka RB
14th....Eddie George RB
18th.....Eddie Kennison WR
19th.....Marvin Harrison WR
24th....Eric Moulds WR
31st....Alex Van Dyke WR
32nd....Leeland McElroy RB
34th....Amani Toomer WR
41st....Bryan Still WR
43rd....Mushin Muhammed WR
52nd...Bobby Engram WR
89th...Terrell Owens WR

Obviously, this is only one draft but look at how many of thge WRs drafted are still playing and effectively. I bring this up only because TO being drafted in the 3rd round was being used as argument.

Marvin Harrison and TO are regarded as the 2 of the best. Muhammed WAS the best last year. Eric Moulds is still very very good. Of the RBs selected in the first 2 rounds, only one is still playing and he's not even starting.

Value?

if we pick a qb in the draft when is he gonna start? lets face if you have a line to protect your qb, than feeley will have the time to throw the ball to chambers, booker and edwards( if choosen i hope) the defense wont know what to do with those type of weapons, and then we choose a rb in the draft, or use we weve got.regardless we have the toughest schedule, which is bs :yell:

Though I would be happy with Brown, I agree with some that we need to call the Vikings bluff and take Edwards. If all goes well, shortly afterwards we will receive a call from them and gain the #7, #18, and #80 picks. I know it's not a sure thing, but it's the only way to go. The Redskins may bite also, but they don't have enough picks this year to give us enough value; however, their two 1st and a pick next year might work.

steve

Nublar7 said:
You have to think long term and not just this season. Granted that one of the top 3 RBs would finally give us a running game(my personal choice is Brown) the idea of Edwards is very interesting. Edwards might not dominate in his rookie year, but he shows the potential of 1500+ yard seasons in the near future. This team is not a one year quick fix.

Okay...I have to call BS here. You say, "the potential of 1500+ yard seasons" there, and I say BS. You can't project that for any rookie. Do you know that of the consensus three top WRs today (Owens, Harrison, Moss), only ONE of them has more than a single 1500 yard season (Harrison, 3)? What does it take to get even him there? The most prolific QB since Dan Marino in terms of pure statistics over a long period! Even if Edwards is the best WR in this draft and the best one taken since Moss, you can't go projecting him with that sort of statistical accomplishment!

DoLpHiNz34 said:
So you wouldn't have drafted any of them because you didn't have a QB to throw to them at the time? This isn't a one year project.

I'm not saying that. But you held them up as examples of how big an impact a WR can be. My point is they were directly dependent on their qbs to allow them to be impact players. A rb can be high impact without a good qb.

islandah said:
I'm not saying that. But you held them up as examples of how big an impact a WR can be. My point is they were directly dependent on their qbs to allow them to be impact players. A rb can be high impact without a good qb.

I understand.

So you'd draft a RB for the simple fact that we don't have a great QB to get him the ball at the moment?

one question, when teams played the Vikings for the last few years who were they more worried about, the RBs or Randy Moss ? Edwards will do that to teams.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom