Dolphins may select Edwards at 2 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins may select Edwards at 2

KB21 said:
So, you would rather have a third wide receiver with the second pick in the draft rather than a starting tailback who can affect the game running the ball as well as catching the ball?

First...Yes.....secondly....it seems Saban would also....since he has stated that none of the running backs are worth that high a draft pick...perhaps at 5 or 7...but not at 2.

KB21 said:
I can't believe that there are still people who are willing to accept just a 2nd round pick for arguably the best cornerback in the NFL when Philip Buchanan got a 2nd and a 3rd in a trade.

I feel yeah and I feel the same way but I don't think KC will offer more then a 2nd when all they are currently offering is a 4th alone

And why is Ronnie Brown considered a "sure thing" ?
the guy was a back up,,, his production was average
Just because he had a great workout doesnt mean he will be great.

It's true that a RB will have a more immediate impact than a WR would, but can you pass up the chance of drafting a WR that shows so much potential? Especially with the #2 pick? Best case scenario, someone trades up to get Edwards at #1 and pick up Alex Smith. If not then get Edwards, so what if he won't have a huge impact on the team this year? Really, how deep in the playoffs do you think we're going? Saban, who has impressed me so far, is a rookie NFL head coach. I know we're all set on a "win now or **** off" mentality, but we can't expect a SB ring next year. Take the BPA, inject some youth into the lineup and see how the year goes. Next year, fine tune the roster and make a serious run for the playoffs. Year three, fill in any holes all take it to the house!

inFINSible said:
...if we have to make a pick at number two, taking Edwards is the only way there will still be be any chance of trading down....and if we get stuck with him, oh well, just a stud WR on the team.

It's win win.

Agreed.

That is exactly what Saban is thinking as well....IMO.

zodiak said:
And why is Ronnie Brown considered a "sure thing" ?
the guy was a back up,,, his production was average
Just because he had a great workout doesnt mean he will be great.

How is his production average? Ronnie Brown has a higher yards per touch average than any of the other top three running backs. He had 12 more receptions on the year than the next best among the top three. He had more runs of 30 or more yards than the other two backs.

Ronnie Brown averaged 6.6 yards everytime he touched the football. The closest among the top three backs to him is Cedric Benson, who averaged 5.8 yards per touch.

If that's average, then I want average.

That doesn't even begin to touch the fact that Ronnie Brown is tremendously better as a blocker than the other two runners.

Ronnie Brown is the most impressive physical specimen of a running back that I have seen since Bo Jackson entered the league, and he's the most complete running back to enter the league since Marshall Faulk.

KB21 said:
I can't believe that there are still people who are willing to accept just a 2nd round pick for arguably the best cornerback in the NFL when Philip Buchanan got a 2nd and a 3rd in a trade.

I too love Surtain but this love affair must stop. Buchanan is 5 years younger, makes much less, and is signed for longer. Skill level he is behind Surtain but not by much. Although I would demand a 2nd for Pat till the draft on draft day if I had to accept a 3rd to lose his 8.4mil cap figure I would do it. Pat will not help us win in the playoffs by the time we make it back. GreenMonster

fishypete said:
First...Yes.....secondly....it seems Saban would also....since he has stated that none of the running backs are worth that high a draft pick...perhaps at 5 or 7...but not at 2.

First, I'm trying REAL hard not to play the Homer card here. I would like an explanation why you or anyone else would not like to address our weakest position with our first pick. Don't give me consensus BPA becasue there is a post above quoting paid draft gurus that disagree. Simply put, Edwards is just a big of risk as any of the top 3 backs AND he doesn't address a need. Unless someone would like to offer objective,concrete,and irrefutable evidence proving otherwise?

Second, when did he say that. Link us please!

The only thing that concerns me about Ronnie Brown is his lack of shiftiness and overall field vision. He's got plenty of assets, his combination of size, hands and speed is outstanding, but he lacks the cutback ability many of the great backs in the league typically have.

His style reminds me of a faster version of Eddie George. He's not going to create room on his own, but if he gets a lane, he can explode.

He's not going to just run over linebackers & safeties in the NFL the way he did at Auburn.

A slight concern, anyway.

Smithboy said:
The only thing that concerns me about Ronnie Brown is his lack of shiftiness and overall field vision. He's got plenty of assets, his combination of size, hands and speed is outstanding, but he lacks the cutback ability many of the great backs in the league typically have.

His style reminds me of a faster version of Eddie George. He's not going to create room on his own, but if he gets a lane, he can explode.

He's not going to just run over linebackers & safeties in the NFL the way he did at Auburn.

A slight concern, anyway.
That is why I don't want him, I want someone who can make someone miss in the open field, do not want to play wanny ball anymore and run someone straight ahead into a pile, speed means nothing, vision and shiftiness are the two things that make great running backs, I would rather have Darren Sproles in the 3rd or 4th round. Running backs just aren't worth high 1st round picks, they break down and there careers are generally shorter than most other positions.

AZStryker said:
First, I'm trying REAL hard not to play the Homer card here. I would like an explanation why you or anyone else would not like to address our weakest position with our first pick. Don't give me consensus BPA becasue there is a post above quoting paid draft gurus that disagree. Simply put, Edwards is just a big of risk as any of the top 3 backs AND he doesn't address a need. Unless someone would like to offer objective,concrete,and irrefutable evidence proving otherwise?

Second, when did he say that. Link us please!

I don't care about consensus BPA in this sort of situation. I think there is plenty of room for any of the first 7 offensive players likely to be taken on Saturday being the BPA in Saban's eyes. That is the man I want him to take (unless the Niners take him -- I want the 2nd guy on Saban's list in that case). The RBs are all surer things than any of the other players if you ask me. We don't have a Penn State guy in the bunch. That is why I have trouble making my mind up between Alex Smith and Ronnie Brown as my personal BPA pick. I think Smith is heads and shoulders above Rodgers and the WRs because he is more talented than Rodgers, more talented than Mike Williams, and a far surer thing than Edwards is. I think as the RBs go, there isn't a Ricky Williams level of production out of any of them but that they are all capable of very solid Eddie George sorts of numbers for years.

I know we have a hole at RB. It has to get solved, and I don't want to do it with Travis Henry. I don't trust Lamar Gordon to fill it, either. I don't like drafting somebody later in the first day, but I'm not going to sacrifice value as judged by the man brought in to judge it.

Some of you are probably asking why this is different than last year. It isn't. I am and have always been totally unconvinced that Rick even considered a position like RB or DT when he chose Carey. He said Carey was BPA of the guys he was looking at, but I frankly don't believe he was following a value drafting strategy like I think Saban is. I believe that Rick did follow value drafting the rest of the time, so I can only conclude he was under orders from somewhere higher than him to get a tackle or else. I don't fault Rick for it as a result, but I do think it was a highly flawed pick.

KB21 said:
I'm trying to figure out why some of you believe taking a running back with the second pick is such a bad thing but are perfectly content with taking a wide receiver with the second pick.

Logic does not fit that opinion. A wide receiver doesn't and never will affect the game the way a running back does. Plus, wide receivers almost never make the immediate impact that running backs make.

Well, both receivers are outstanding prospects and better at their positions than the RBs IMO. WRs are having much greater impact in their rookie seasons than they have in the past (Boldin, Clayton, Williams, Johnson, etc.). WRs generally have longer careers. Tell TO and Randy Moss they can't affect a game the way a RB does. After that, go and tell Jerry Rice the same thing.

inFINSible said:
Not only does Drafting Edwards make Minnesota jumpy it also paves the way to releasing Derrius Thompson......which clears cap space to keep Surtain......which makes KC squirm.
:evil:

Wow that's some triple black belt style thinking man!

Don't care how great a receiver he is, he can't take over a game without a decent qb getting him the ball. Many, myself and I think Saban included, don't think AJ is the guy. If you don't feel Rodgers is worthy, I'd rather take a RB that can impact the game, regardless of what you're getting out of your qb position. Then you can address qb and/or 3rd WR in later rounds, FA, or next years draft.

GreenMonster said:
I too love Surtain but this love affair must stop. Buchanan is 5 years younger, makes much less, and is signed for longer. Skill level he is behind Surtain but not by much. Although I would demand a 2nd for Pat till the draft on draft day if I had to accept a 3rd to lose his 8.4mil cap figure I would do it. Pat will not help us win in the playoffs by the time we make it back. GreenMonster

Thank God Nick Saban is our GM, because he won't accept such a putrid trade as Patrick Surtain for a 3rd round pick -- equating Surtain to the level of Duane Starks.

Back
Top Bottom