Dolphins name new starting 5 on the OL and TE (merged 2x) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins name new starting 5 on the OL and TE (merged 2x)

Re: If you can't see why...

Originally posted by Oliver

... Nails would be a better OG now than when he played at Buffalo you are just trying to act dumb. He's nearly 100 pounds lighter.

Oliver...

A 280lb guard w/no talent is no different than a 380lb guard with no talent--he still sucks.

I'll check in during the season to see what your thoughts on Nails are then, OK??

LT - M. Dixon - He played OT in the Canadian Football League from 1994 - 1997. That was only five years ago. He's smart, and if he can get re-adjusted to the position, we'll be much better off on the left side of the OL.....

As for Spriggs/Smith - I don't thing either one of them will be here next year regardless. We'll keep one for depth this season, and I really don't care which one it is. They both wreak of mediocrity....

LG - J. Nails - This is just the kind of guy we needed stepping up this off-season. He's vocal, he mean, and he's very large. Run blocking is his strength. His pass blocking is still a work in progress, but with a mobile QB like Jay, it's not too much of a worry. Obviously the guy is doing some very good things if he unseated former LG M. Dixon. M. Dixon, before his injury last season, was our best all around OLman....J. Nails earned his spot.

C - T. Ruddy - I've never been impressed with T. Ruddy, and last season was his worst as a Dolphin. His intelligence however is a very valuable part of his game. If he can get back to his 2000 form this year and stay healthy, he's an above average Center IMO. Next year, S. McKinney will be a very good replacement.

RG - T. Perry - Can't say this guy has been all that impressive. I think Wanny made a mistake dumping K. Donnalley for T. Perry last year, and it showed big time. In T. Perrys' defense, he had some emotional family ordeals we was dealing with last year, and it clearly effected his concentration. I guess Dave likes what he's seen so far from him. L. Searcy will provide excellent depth behind him.

RT - T. Wade - This guy is huge. The second season slump is over for T. Wade, and trust me, he slumped. He's still very young, and very teachable. He'll only get better with time.....Very Solid RT.

The major concerns here are getting this group comfortable with eachother, and getting them all on the same page working as a unit. OL Coach T. Wise better do something positive with this OL this year, or he's gone.

Bringing in buddy T. Wise was another off-season change on the OL Wanny made after 2000 that had me wondering.....T. Wise had the worst OL in the league while in Carolina.

We had a very good OL in 2000. Webb, Dixon, Ruddy, Donnalley, Wade......

In 2001, after making changes from players to coaches, we struggled big-time.....

This OL should be no worse than last season. It should be much more solid if everyone comes together and stays healthy.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Here's why this OL will work....Dixon...by being on the field he will keep Nails in line..Nails has already played in the AFC East and knows the DT in that Division and the little things that Dixon does will help him succeed such as this..

(On Mark Dixon’s first practice at left tackle) -- “Mark is very encouraging. He is such a good athlete. I (Wanny) caught him in there watching tape and I thought he was watching Houston’s (Texans) tape. Again, he was watching tape of Jason Taylor at seven this morning. He’s going to find a way to get the job done. He always has.â€Â

Dixon feels that Jason is the Best DE in the league and he will learn more by blocking him that any game time could do to him..

I hate to say it, but this looks to be our worse o-line since the pre-Shula days. Take away Wade and we really have nothing to write home about. The mere idea of recycling Buffalo scrubs has rubbed me the wrong way from the start. Trying to bring Searcy back was clutching at straws. Dixon at left tackle? Profoundly scary.

Originally posted by steve_t
I hate to say it, but this looks to be our worse o-line since the pre-Shula days. Take away Wade and we really have nothing to write home about. The mere idea of recycling Buffalo scrubs has rubbed me the wrong way from the start. Trying to bring Searcy back was clutching at straws. Dixon at left tackle? Profoundly scary.

Profoundly scary???.....The guy is only the best athlete on the OL.

I think your over-reacting....:cry:

PHINZ RULE!!!!

ya, i'm not crazy about our offensive line either. Granted our first two games were against the bucs and saints, both of which have good d-lines but we still haven't racked up any rushing yards.

also, i agree with the statement aside from wade, we are nothing special.

dixon is a good OL and is the best athlete there. At least he was. He's coming off a serious leg injury and is not back to 100%. Nails beat him out of his job and now is goign to play T, ok, but if your not healthy and you can't get that push in your ankle like you use to, how is moving to T the solution? I thought T were much better atheletes than G because they have to be more mobile than powerful.

As far as the cuts go, axe cesario and andrews. One will make the practice squad at least and if not we are going to have to draft players for the line next year anyway. stick with the best players you have now, not the potential.

Marc Dixon our New LT

Expo and co. a couple days ago ,i remember you being pissed off about Marc Dixon's attitude and humbleness..Remember what Muck and me told you...thats his way of motivating himself..As i've said before Dix is a great competitor and hard worker..didn't believe us..well here's the proof..mark my words he will be our best o-lineman by the end of the year if he stays healthy..

DAVIE -- Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt caught Mark Dixon watching tape at 7 a.m. Sunday.

Wannstedt thought Dixon was preparing for Saturday's exhibition game against the Houston Texans, but Wannstedt was wrong.

Dixon was watching tape of defensive end Jason Taylor.

Sunday was Dixon's first practice at left tackle, and he wanted to get an idea of what Taylor would do. Dixon, who is coming back from surgery on his right ankle and has not played tackle since 1997 in the Canadian Football League, did a good job against Taylor in both practices and said his ankle was OK.

"If my ankle's right then I can still play," said Dixon, who practiced for the first time since Aug. 11. "I've had so much time off I felt like me for the first time all camp. I felt able to explode and recover. But my leg started getting tired near the end again. But today's the first day I felt like me, like I had everything back. I could concentrate on technique and doing things right versus my ankle's sore and my leg's tired."

Wannstedt liked what he saw out of the new left side of the offensive line, which features Jamie Nails at left guard. Unfortunately, Wannstedt couldn't see the starting offensive line together because right tackle Todd Wade (hamstring) sat out both practices. Marcus Spriggs worked at right tackle with the starting unit.

But Wannstedt was pleased with Dixon's play and thinks he can handle the job of protecting quarterback Jay Fiedler's backside. Wannstedt said Dixon has three weeks to learn the position, but Dixon's athletic ability and mental toughness are "the two qualities you need to play left tackle."

"I don't have any doubt in my mind that as long as he stays healthy and keeps feeling good he'll be fine," Wannstedt said. "The guy's one of the best athletes, maybe the best athlete, on the offensive line. And he understands. He's going to find a way to get the job done. He always has."

Taylor sounded impressed after going against Dixon most of the day.

"He looked good," Taylor said. "He moved well. There's no reason why he won't be able to make the adjustment."
athletic ability and mental toughness maybe the best athlete, on the offensive line. And he understands. He's going to find a way to get the job done. He always has. :)

I wouldn't term it scary. Dixon is by far the best competitior of the 3 at LT. Add to that his athletisism and he should be an upgrade. Sounds like Smith and Spriggs both have Wise scratching his head. He said they do so well against JT in practice then can't transfer that production to the games. Let's hope Dixon's leg holds up. What is scary is DW's comment that he doesn't know if he will keep 7,8 or 9 O-linemen. 7 linemen????? As CK said with Dixon's injury history, Searcy and Nails both being out of football and the injuries we suffered last year I thought he would keep as many as possible. 7 is scary.

We'd better not keep just 7, unless we're absolutely sure that some of them will stick around SoFla to be re-upped in the case of an injury. Searcy would be a possibility he just signed for the one year minimum and as old as he is he might appreciate us keeping him away from the practice field until we need to break him open for a game. But he's still trying to get use to the guard position so I don't know what the wisdom would be on that. If I had to make a quick 53 this is what I'd have...

3 QBs: Jay Fiedler, Ray Lucas, and Tim Levcik.

5 RBs: Ricky Williams, Travis Minor, Robert Edwards, Rob Konrad and Deon Dyer.

6 WRs: Chris Chambers, Oronde Gadsden, James McKnight, Dedric Ward, Jeff Ogden, and Robert Baker.

3 TEs: Randy McMichael, Jed Weaver, and Ed Perry.

9 OLs: Mark Dixon, Jamie Nails, Tim Ruddy, Todd Perry, Todd Wade the starters, then Seth McKinney, Leon Searcy, Marcus Spriggs, and Brent Smith (in order of importance).

9 DLs: Jay Williams, Larry Chester, Tim Bowens, Jason Taylor the starters, then Jermaine Haley, David Bowens, Adewale Ogunleye, Ernest Grant (barring a trade, cuz IMO neither Taylor nor Romero made quite a strong enough bid to beat him), and Rob Burnett (in order of importance)

6 LBs: Derrick Rodgers, Zach Thomas, and Morlon Greenwood the starters, Scott Galyon, Tommy Hendricks, and Twan Russell

10 DBs: Sam Madison, Brock Marion, Arturo Freeman, Patrick Surtain, and Jamar Fletcher the starters. Then Shawn Wooden, Ray Green, Omare Lowe, Scott McGarrahan, and Trent Gamble (in order of importance).

2 K/P: Olindo Mare and Mark Royals

6 Man Psquad (according to new rules one QB doesn't count): Zak Kustok (for the heck of it), Sam Simmons, Leonard Henry, Justin Seaverns, possibly Joshua Symonette, and the last space is a fight between Dario Romero, Henry Taylor, Troy Andrews, Anthony Cesario, and James Atkins depending on which guys clear waivers, are likely to be signed by another team, or are even available for the psquad.

Voila. 53 man roster. The only place I'd probably bend a bit to keep someone might be in the case of finding a return man, or trying our hardest to keep Justin Seaverns on the team but as it is, I am fully confident that neither Sam Simmons (small fry) nor Leonard Henry have done enough in the preseason for some team to snatch them up on their final roster through waivers.

It looks like Dixon has the tools and, more importantly, the attitude, to do the job at LT. It will be easier on his leg, and he seems excited about the challenge.

As for Nails, everything I've read says that he, along with McMichael, are THE stories at camp this year.

By the way if we're comfortable with Omare Lowe as the dime DB then Ray Green becomes expendable...in case we want to get ourselves a return man like Antoine Tolliver (if he does good for us in preseason) or we want to keep hold of someone like Troy Andrews or Justin Seaverns.

If I had to make a quick 53 this is what I'd have..

Good solid picks but I thought Henry Taylor was doing so well that Ernest Grant was available to trade for draft picks. I know Ogden was also mentioned in the same article about being on the trading block but he does both WR and PR even if its second team this year. Also noticed on the offical dolphin website that he is the second team holder behind Royals. Could he also be the emergency punter ?? :)

I differ with you in RB..I think Lenard over Edwards...but I haven't seem Edwards yet...But Leonard looks like a real good pick up..If the OL would let him get by the line I'd like to see what he could do in the secondary..

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
I differ with you in RB..I think Lenard over Edwards...but I haven't seem Edwards yet...But Leonard looks like a real good pick up..If the OL would let him get by the line I'd like to see what he could do in the secondary..

I agree..........

Back
Top Bottom