Dolphins’ Next Play-caller Talks Offensive Philosophy, What He Wants In A Qb And More | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins’ Next Play-caller Talks Offensive Philosophy, What He Wants In A Qb And More

id say instincts and bottom 5 level pocket presence are whats kept tannehill down. in some regards I think they both can be developed but you probably do prefer the instincts side of things to be more apparent out the gate as a qb prospect even.

so what does all of this mean to me? its very possible that this was gonna be ryan regardless and the horrid o line play early on especially was masking it from an evaluation stand point. its also possible it did its fair share of contributing, weird thing is he played wr also I consider that to be an instinctual position.

and if you pay attention to his interviews theres a actual pause in how he processes or speaks even and im starting to think that it carries over to how he processes on the football field. might be crazy or maybe im just reading into it too much I just know that when I listen to qb prospect interviews now I look for that

Accuracy/touch/trajectory variation, intelligence, instincts, feet, and arm talent (just needs to be enough) will lead you to good QB's. Physical talent on top of those is a nice bonus, but unless you're Cam Newton, it won't do much to overcome those deficiencies - not at a high enough level.

Tannehill has more than enough accuracy, trajectory variations pretty much arm talent. His deficiency and the thing I don't think you can teach is the nuances. The instincts, natural processing speed, and the intangibles.

Here's an example...Drake is lined up, in the flats, on a route against the other teams slowest LB. Guys like Brees and Brady not only see that match up but will exploit it until the other team throws up. The will make a mental note of it for a critical 3rd plus pick up later. Tannehill not so much! Sure every once in a while he'll realize that's easy pickings but that real-time game intelligence is not consistent with him.

Absolutely love the answers to all of the questions from our new signal caller. Specifically on the QB traits. Tannehill has many positive QB traits, but "Leader" has consistently been one he has been called out on. It's such a corny-sounding trait, but you look back on some of the major pitfalls of this organization over the past several years and wonder how a stabilizing, strong-willed presence at the team's most important position could have helped things.

That said, unless they see something we don't in Lock or Daniel Jones, the QB pick is Haskins, Murray or Will Grier come draft time. Will Grier is increasingly someone I could see them drafting in round 2 (or 1 if he has a strong combine showing): https://247sports.com/college/west-...-in-College-Football-at-Two-Things-125650529/

There were a few plays this year where Tanny waited just a second too long and the play was gone. Anthony Saba posted a clip from the first Bills game where a quick throw to Butler was there, tanny held the ball too long and it was gone. Them he got sacked.

I always supported Ryan but this year more than ever the game seemed too fast for him at times. Now that being said there were other times where I feel playcalling did him no favors with hot reads.

As for O'Shea he speaks a good game but gotta see it. I do like what he says though

Tannehill has more than enough accuracy, trajectory variations pretty much arm talent. His deficiency and the thing I don't think you can teach is the nuances. The instincts, natural processing speed, and the intangibles.

Here's an example...Drake is lined up, in the flats, on a route against the other teams slowest LB. Guys like Brees and Brady not only see that match up but will exploit it until the other team throws up. The will make a mental note of it for a critical 3rd plus pick up later. Tannehill not so much! Sure every once in a while he'll realize that's easy pickings but that real-time game intelligence is not consistent with him.

I agree, but not quite with your example. The way you describe it, Drake is already in the flat. In that case, Tannehill blew it, but so did Gase. I've said all along Tannehill has the tools to be an NFL QB, INCLUDING pocket presence. Not elite pocket presence, but it's there.
I've seen too many complaints about missing an open guy, without knowing his progression.

My complaint has long been the mental stuff. Mental quickness. The ability to read Ds. Doesn't checkoff and runs a play into the teeth of a D. Doesn't read a D to find a mismatch. Back to your example, many QBs would read the D and move Drake out to the flat. Granted your example is clear because the mismatch is obvious, and you're right. In my example, Tannehill can't FIND and exploit a mismatch. A subtle distinction, but the play I describe is more frequent.

Another one. Not running for a 1st when he needs 6 yards and the nearest defender is at the concession stand. Not reading blitzes when most of us see it coming from our living room. As you say, instincts. It seemed he improved in '16, but regressed after.

I agree, but not quite with your example. The way you describe it, Drake is already in the flat. In that case, Tannehill blew it, but so did Gase. I've said all along Tannehill has the tools to be an NFL QB, INCLUDING pocket presence. Not elite pocket presence, but it's there.
I've seen too many complaints about missing an open guy, without knowing his progression.

My complaint has long been the mental stuff. Mental quickness. The ability to read Ds. Doesn't checkoff and runs a play into the teeth of a D. Doesn't read a D to find a mismatch. Back to your example, many QBs would read the D and move Drake out to the flat. Granted your example is clear because the mismatch is obvious, and you're right. In my example, Tannehill can't FIND and exploit a mismatch. A subtle distinction, but the play I describe is more frequent.

Another one. Not running for a 1st when he needs 6 yards and the nearest defender is at the concession stand. Not reading blitzes when most of us see it coming from our living room. As you say, instincts. It seemed he improved in '16, but regressed after.
Not to mention hitting a receiver 4 yards downfield when we need 10 yards

Im pretty sure that Gase said the exact same thing before he got here and then kept trying to fit the square peg in the round hole.
I’m pretty sure Gase was always of the “going to get my kind of guy” mentality never “work within the confines of who I have strengths”. I mean I get it, get the kind of guy you want but until you do and if your guy turns out to not be exactly what you thought you’ve got to play to their strengths not force them to yours. That was Gases entire problem offensively.

Im pretty sure that Gase said the exact same thing before he got here and then kept trying to fit the square peg in the round hole.
Mike Gesicki had more pass blocking snaps relative to game reps than any other tight end in football.

That’s pretty amazing in a bad way, that an NFL coach went there with that skillset, and, his Gm drafted it in the 2nd round..

Last edited:
With Tannehill..

I didn’t think he had the instincts to play at a high level in pressure situations, it was alarming to me how he never used pump/shoulder fakes/deeks to manipulate defenders, alarming to see him see the quick screen being covered, yet still throw it anyway, with no plan B.

The peripheral vision and sense to see where the pocket was breaking down, and then adjust, wasn’t there, he had two eyes, none in the back of his head..

The arm strength was there, but the ability to loft throws with touch was below average..Red zone fade was non existent, screen throws over defenders were difficult for him and very limited back shoulder work..

And the most Indicting Element on his instincts, he never took it upon himself to exploit the middle of the field, with his legs, on his own accord to threaten a defense..He didn’t have the football intellect to understand situational football, he was mainly a one read, stick to the script QB, who couldn’t handle the game when protection broke down..3rd down conversion rate was always consistently below average.

The things he did well, gase never exploited into a game plan to the degree he should have..

I feel good about O’Shea, I hope he looks at all types of QBs, not just the type that he‘s been working with all his career..

Last edited:
With Tannehill..

I didn’t think he had the instincts to play at a high level in pressure situations, it was alarming to me how he never used pump/shoulder fakes/deeks to manipulate defenders, alarming to see him see the quick screen being covered, yet still throw it anyway, with no plan B.

The peripheral vision and sense to see where the pocket was breaking down, and then adjust, wasn’t there, he had two eyes, none in the back of his head..

The arm strength was there, but the ability to loft throws with touch was below average..Red zone fade was non existent, screen throws over defenders were difficult for him and very limited back shoulder work..

And the most Indicting Element on his instincts, he never took it upon himself to exploit the middle of the field, with his legs, on his own accord to threaten a defense..He didn’t have the football intellect to understand situational football, he was mainly a one read, stick to the script QB, who couldn’t handle the game when protection broke down..3rd down conversion rate was always consistently below average.

The things he did well, gase never exploited into a game plan to the degree he should have..

I feel good about O’Shea, I hope he looks at all types of QBs, not just the type that he‘s been working with all his career..

While I agree, we could probably put most Dolpin players' names in there and be right

I'm encouraged with a new staff. I Have seen enough of the I'll adapt to what players we have on our team new coach crap.

Have a plan, get your players to implement that plan.

Gase failed out thinking himself 90% of the time on 3rd and short and 3rd and long. He fooled no one but himself.

I’m pretty sure Gase was always of the “going to get my kind of guy” mentality never “work within the confines of who I have strengths”. I mean I get it, get the kind of guy you want but until you do and if your guy turns out to not be exactly what you thought you’ve got to play to their strengths not force them to yours. That was Gases entire problem offensively.

He definitely was but that isn’t what he said. He would rather lose his way than win any other way. Pretty obvious he hated to win by feeding Ajayi which is why he traded him. 14-8 with Ajayi. 9-17 without

Back
Top Bottom