Dolphins not sure about Gillislee | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins not sure about Gillislee

Coach_Rob

Club Member
Reaction score
The Dolphins reportedly "aren't sure when or if" 2013 fifth-round pick Mike Gillislee will "become more than a third-stringer."
rotoworld per Miami herald. http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football/ I think it has to be this damn staff. when gillislee was in that one game he didn't look bad. he isn't a game changer but how the hell will we know if this damn coaching staff doesn't let the young guys play. don't get it...

If Gillislee ever becomes average he is a over achiever

He hit his ceiling in college. He's a good football player, but at the NFL level, he's small, he's not fast, quick, or strong. I just don't see what he offers.

So if Gillislee doesn't pan out, does that mean 2013 wasn't our bestest draft eva???

I don't see this as a real shocker. He wasn't great at any one thing in college

He hit his ceiling in college. He's a good football player, but at the NFL level, he's small, he's not fast, quick, or strong. I just don't see what he offers.

IMO he was drafted because he was a good -- and willing -- blocker, and because he showed a toughness and production around the goal line that belied his size/speed combo. Also he's a class character guy. Very unselfish, though of course it's easier to be unselfish if you know you're not that talented. The skills he had anybody can learn if they care enough to learn them. If you're a coach you look at him and go, "uh, what can I do with this guy? He already does everything I can coach someone to do."

Unfortunately his "skillset" makes him sort of a one note player in a body that doesn't fit that note, because it's not like he offers gifts in other areas. I'm a UF alum and I never ever looked at Gilislee as someone to be interested in. There are dozens of running backs in CFB just like him who come out every year and don't even get signed as an UDFA.

I'm interested to know if the reporter is just speculating or knows something from what someone within the Dolphin organization has leaked. In the small number of Gator games that I watched, Mike Gillislee actually played pretty well. In fact when his name was mentioned as a possible late round pick, I thought he seemed like a decent pickup. While not big, my recollection was that he played a lot stronger than he looked and loved sneaking in for touchdowns. Let's see how he looks in training camp having had a year of observing has probably made him really hungry. I think that our bigger need is for a big power back.

He was picked in the 5th round...

that means whatever special teams plays he was in on this year already have his pick paying off.

He has not looked like a starting rb at any point so far.

Bad pick...you draft Running Backs to RUN, not to be All Pro blockers or blitz picker-uppers. The guy is average as hell. You don't need to be pro scout to see that. Horrible 2013 draft....so far. Hopefully Jordan and Taylor can ball next year.

Back
Top Bottom