Dolphins Now Own Pick 102 in the 3rd Round... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Now Own Pick 102 in the 3rd Round...

They grade them, it is not an illusion…..

The point being…you don’t draft a 6.5 graded player if you have a 7.0 to 9.0 graded player on the board….this is how they determine BPA regardless of position!
Depends on how badly you need a player for a given position.
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

We could get a good receiver. I like Drummond in the later rounds

What I find interesting about big boards, is whether on draft day teams trust all the work they did to build the board. You do the homework, you factor in positional need for your team, the scarcity of quality players at each position, and on and on. It's tons of work by a lot of people. And then on draft day, let's say you have a need at LB that you didn't fill in FA. A decent LB is available, and your team has graded him as a 6.0 player. Somehow, an 8.0 player at a position you feel is already well staffed drops to you. I'd love to be in the room to hear the discussions. How much second-guessing of that pre-work happens? Does the GM stick to his board? How much is the DC pounding the table? lol

What I find interesting about big boards, is whether on draft day teams trust all the work they did to build the board. You do the homework, you factor in positional need for your team, the scarcity of quality players at each position, and on and on. It's tons of work by a lot of people. And then on draft day, let's say you have a need at LB that you didn't fill in FA. A decent LB is available, and your team has graded him as a 6.0 player. Somehow, an 8.0 player at a position you feel is well staffed drops to you. I'd love to be in the room to hear the discussions. How much second-guessing of that pre-work happens? Does the GM stick to his board? How much is the DC pounding the table? lol
Exactly!

What I find interesting about big boards, is whether on draft day teams trust all the work they did to build the board. You do the homework, you factor in positional need for your team, the scarcity of quality players at each position, and on and on. It's tons of work by a lot of people. And then on draft day, let's say you have a need at LB that you didn't fill in FA. A decent LB is available, and your team has graded him as a 6.0 player. Somehow, an 8.0 player at a position you feel is already well staffed drops to you. I'd love to be in the room to hear the discussions. How much second-guessing of that pre-work happens? Does the GM stick to his board? How much is the DC pounding the table? lol
Personally I'm of the thought--and I imagine a lot of teams are, too--that if a rare talent falls to you, you draft him, regardless of the position, regardless of the need. Because "need" can change overnight. Great talent is potentially forever

Provided there is a player you want (or need) that much.

I afraid the threshold between need and want isn't always that clear.
I disagree, there will be someone in that early third that will be able to help our team and have an excellent projection to the pros.

Personally I'm of the thought--and I imagine a lot of teams are, too--that if a rare talent falls to you, you draft him, regardless of the position, regardless of the need. Because "need" can change overnight. Great talent is potentially forever
This only makes sense if your team is already balanced defensively and offensively.

Of course, if the balance is that both sides stink, a super duper player isn't going to be as valuable as 3 or 4 solid players who are better than the ones you already have. This might mean trading back to increase your draft opportunities, assuming there is a deep draft to begin with.

Do you happen to own a "superman" cloak?
I suspect "Cam" may have a few - LOL

Grier just needs to let Finheaven do the picking this year. He did Good in 2020 with Waddle, Holland and Phillips

You have to fix what's broken and even out the teams resourced defensively and offensively or you will be stuck with a "one trick pony" that can usually be countered and defeated by a balanced team.

As an example: we had a pretty good defense last year, but our low scoring offense made it much more difficult to win.

That’s what free agency is for in my opinion…reaching in the draft is what organizations do!

I’m not missing anything…you rely on the opinions and grades done by your professional staffs and the scouting services all teams use.

There is no perfection.,..but when you choose a lower graded player over a higher graded player…that is drafting for need over taking the BPA…it’s that simple!
And that's a horrible Idea, and indicates that someone did not plan their draft properly. That has absolutely nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Yeah, but if you are talking about "rare talent" guys, that is rd1. Even if you deviate from the plan in that scenario, You have other picks, and maybe trades, to use if you just rearrange a little bit.

Doesn’t mean Grier will see it that way, or identify the player
That is my point too.

We don't know what the coaching staff will do. We have some idea where they want to go, but how they intend to get there is anybody's guess.

I'm inclined to stay with my guesses; but will be happy with whatever they do as long as it provides good play from a competitive team.

I am really looking (no, not hoping for but looking for) forward to seeing a great performance this year by the Dolphins.

That is my point too.

We don't know what the coaching staff will do. We have some idea where they want to go, but how they intend to get there is anybody's guess.

I'm inclined to stay with my guesses; but will be happy with whatever they do as long as it provides good play from a competitive team.

I am really looking (no, not hoping for but looking for) forward to seeing a great performance this year by the Dolphins.
We don't have a lot of room for starters so finding one with two fourths is unlikely, maybe early third we can find someone that has enough talent will play a significant role, get those first three picks to be in the top 75 maybe.

Like Leo chenal, Kenneth Walker and best receiver on the board, those are positions that can use a real player

Back
Top Bottom