Dolphins offer Caserio the GM job/Rejects offer to stay in New England | Page 34 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins offer Caserio the GM job/Rejects offer to stay in New England

Great link, Daytona. That's why I love twitter, you hear the news from the horse's mouth (or the horse's town crier), before it gets to other cities or becomes national news. The funny part is, this girl in boston had the news last night, and all the miami reporters had no clue. Russini even scooped it before some of her boston peers, it seems.

Or very likely also that he didn't like what he heard in the job offer as far as what his actual position was. This has been questioned since the beginning of the process with people blaming everybody but Ross. When RAy FArmer pulls out of the process to stay in Cleveland as pro personnel director there is a legitimate issue

From what I can tell, Caserio isn't a stupid guy. I'm pretty sure he wasn't blind to the current issues facing this job. However, he still took the interview. I wonder why?

Probably because he gets a free flight down to Miami for a weekend in January and gets to fly back to Boston feeling wanted. Sounds like a win-win to me.

I have no doubt that the current situation is keeping candidates away. Notice that I haven't said one positive thing about Philibin and/or Aponte. There's a reason for that: I don't have much belief in their "leadership".

From what I can tell, Caserio isn't a stupid guy. I'm pretty sure he wasn't blind to the current issues facing this job. However, he still took the interview. I wonder why?

Probably because he gets a free flight down to Miami for a weekend in January and gets to fly back to Boston feeling wanted. Sounds like a win-win to me.

I have no doubt that the current situation is keeping candidates away. Notice that I haven't said one positive thing about Philibin and/or Aponte. There's a reason for that: I don't have much belief in their "leadership".

Im sure he can afford to go to Miami anytime he likes. He didn't hurt himself by going down and hearing the pitch,he just wasn't buying what we were selling. He is not the first guy. Fisher did the same thing as did HArbaugh and others have turned us down

Wonder if Aponte is in charge of the GM contract negotiations as well? Ross if certainly naive enough to allow her to do it, imo. She is probably sabotaging the negotiations until she finds the right "puppet" to be "her" GM. Caserio is no puppet.

Im sure he can afford to go to Miami anytime he likes.

I'm sure that you'd take a free trip too, if offered. Especially one that sets you up for a raise at your current job.

He didn't hurt himself by going down and hearing the pitch,he just wasn't buying what we were selling.

Uhm, yes. I just alluded to the fact that it didn't hurt him in the very post that you quoted. And I'm willing to bet that he came down never a buyer. Ross just got played, again.

He is not the first guy. Fisher did the same thing as did HArbaugh and others have turned us down

Which is why I said that Caserio used the "tried and true approach": Leverage through Miami.

And to think we had the chance to clean house and restart back in 2010. Meanwhile 4 wasted years and a bunch of half measures later.......

Also known as ... uhm, challenges?

Also known as ... uhm, understanding that the deck is rigged so that you can't succeed, that you have all of the responsibility for the results and none of the authority required to do the job. Philbin and Aponte have convinced Ross to structure the position so that their own asses are covered if they fail to improve the team.

Come on people. Let's get real. There are only thirty-two of these jobs in the world. Qualified candidates should be beating down the door trying to get this job. The fact that people are turning down the offer, are withdrawing their name from candidacy after interviews, and are telling the media that they can't get a straight answer as to who Dawn Aponte reports to and who reports to Dawn Aponte says that something is severely wrong with the job itself and the surrounding organizational structure. No well qualified candidate wants to walk into a situation where they are doomed to failure knowing there will be other better opportunities available to them in the future. And yes, I did mean to say "better opportunities". Steven Ross has turned this franchise into a league joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I would like to know is:

1) What did they actually talk about for 2 days?
2) Didn't the Dolphins ask him 1st if he actually wants the job before extending him an offer?
3) If they did ask him if he wanted the job, and he did, why couldn't they agree on compensation?

2) Because the answer to the questions is always "I am interested but it will depend upon our exact negotiation regarding the authority, compensation, and organization structure associated with the position".

3) Because negotiations at this level always involve more than just compensation. There is also authority and organizational structure included in the negotiations.

He never wanted the gm job in miami. Its not a coincidence that the ONLY time he interviews gor a gm job is the time when he feels he should be paid more money... He saw a chance for him to show the pats that he was worth more money... And it worked and he got a raise.

He never wanted the gm job in miami. Its not a coincidence that the ONLY time he interviews gor a gm job is the time when he feels he should be paid more money... He saw a chance for him to show the pats that he was worth more money... And it worked and he got a raise.

Well this is the first time he interviewed for a GM job and lets not act like he is the first candidate to say no to us

Also known as ... uhm, understanding that the deck is rigged so that you can't succeed, that you have all of the responsibility for the results and none of the authority required to do the job. Philbin and Aponte have convinced Ross to structure the position so that their own asses are covered if they fail to improve the team.

If you read through the rest of the thread, you would see that there was ample discussion around my point. I won't re-hash it here.

Don't expect you to. Part of the problem with responding to an active thread like this is that the thread is always five pages ahead of where you are currently reading.

Well this is the first time he interviewed for a GM job and lets not act like he is the first candidate to say no to us

Lets also not act like caserio isnt smart. He saw an opertunity to get more money. Thats it.yes we had farmer turn us down but he didnt turn around and go straight to browns and say he give me more money. Imo caserio did exactly what clark did to us a few years ago, used us to get more money from his current team.

It is funny how people are like "wow this guy will be great. I hope we hire him." Then when the Dolphins miss him, "good riddance. He sucks. I don't want a guy from the Patriots on here. Ross is a great owner; you fans are just overreacting and don't know what's going on. Ross is a genius."

"Hey Bill, let's send Nick down there to interview *snicker* he can take up valuable time from them finding their next GM."
"That's pretty funny Bob, let's do it." "Nicky! Get in here!"
"Yes Boss?"
"Go interview for the Dolphins job.."
"But, I don't want to go and.."
"Shut up and pack your bags!"
"Yes Boss."

Back
Top Bottom