Dolphins Offseason Moves Have Made Them an AFC Contender | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Offseason Moves Have Made Them an AFC Contender

You must have low standards. First off LD misread/interpreted the stats. Then he mentions that they are actual stats from 2015 which hasn't even been played. That was a poor post by LD and your are all over his nut sack without even reading it. :crazy:

According to Football outsiders only 2 of his 12 Interceptions were end of game or tipped and not his fault. That still leaves him with 16 adjusted Interceptions if you include the 6 dropped and remove the 2 that weren't his fault.

Again I don't know why you guys are going down this road. Ryan had a good enough year last without adding in what if stats. And I wasn't the one to bring up the what if stats. I am merely showing that if you add one you have to add the other. It is an impossible game to play. Just stick with the stats that will be etched into NFL history and quit trying to make a player better or worse by playing the what if game.

who cares about dropped interceptions, who cares about what if stats.

he's good enough without any of that ****, and bringing those into play completely changes the relativity of a qb's success because you have to include the same stats for every other qb in the league, or it wouldn't mean a thing.

Falcons signed OG Chris Chester, formerly of the Redskins.

Nowadays, stats also include rate of potential QB-caused INTs.

RT is near the top of the pack -- among the league's best in that stat.

He also is near the bottom of the league, in terms of surrounding cast -- OL failures and catch-point failures.

Those are not hypothetical. Those are actual stats in 2015. Trackable and provable.

So what I'm saying is, people who try really hard not to see such things are only proving themselves haters with no desire for facts.

LD
Great post LDaniel7.

These are looooooong overdue stats, IMHO. Now they need to add fumbles to the INT stat, and sacks to the QB stat when he holds the ball over 4 seconds, nd deduct in completions for pressure under 3 seconds. Slowly but surely .... the QB stats are starting to become more usable.

You're not quite being fair. You include ALL of his dropped INTS and implied that they were all QB-caused, at the same time as not including ALL his dropped TDs (again, by implication taking away from Ryan's skill and effect).

So include all of them -- 34-18 (+ 500 more yards AT LEAST) is pretty darn good, even in a vacuum -- with no clue as to how all the INTs got there or as to how failure apart from QB factored in, etc.

At some point it gets tiring...

Some point, in hindsight, people such as yourself will see RT as the best QB in Miami since Marino -- and easy top ten in the league.

LD
Also, these would be using a baseline of QB rating that do not include those stats.

Plus, DB's tend to have far inferior hands to WR's, less practice, less anticipation time and the result is thy catch far less catchall interceptions than WR's catch catchable balls.

It's difficult to really judge those particular statistics in a vacuum. It would be a lot easier if one had the data for all QB's using that same stat convention.

This seems like a good point for Awsi Dooger to offer some perspective. If you're lurking out there Awsi, we would love to hear your thoughts on these evolving QB stats.

Falcons signed OG Chris Chester, formerly of the Redskins.

Surprised we didn't at least take a look. This team has confidence in Dallas Thomas. Not sure why based upon the play I saw last year.

One point to note about Ryan Tannehill. As a young strong armed QB he is well trained on throwing hard-to-intercept bullets. Unfortunately they are also hard to catch and require good receivers, which we now have IMHO.

Part of his difficulty with the long ball is that those bullets give far less time for the receiver to adjust to an over-the-shoulder ball. Regardless of whether the WR ran a sloppy route, was held up by the DB, or Tannehill was off on the throw, the WR gets very little chance to adjust. This can be exasperating for a WR, and I believe is part of the reason his old WR's were so frustrated with him.

Tannehill NEEDS to develop some touch throws for his aresenal. Screen passes, short dumps over long armed DL like Watt, and long bombs all require substantially more arc and less velocity. It's a different kind of throw.

Up until this point, Tannehill hasn't practiced those enough to gain the proper muscle memory or become skilled at gaging the deep ball. Personally, it surprises me, because he is smart and hard working.

It's like a medieval warrior going into battle with a long sword and a shield ... but no knife for when he fighting gets too close quartered for a sword.

Hopefully the coaches know this and are having him train both types of throws. But so far, Tannehill is very erratic on those "touch" throws.

One of the hardest plays for me to watch is our botched RB screen. We screw this up all the time. Miller has terrible hands, so when the ball gets to him he drops it a lot. Miller runs bad routes and never seems to run that route the same way twice despite the route being like 7 yards.

Tannehill's throws look like he practiced it twice ... ever. Some throws are too short, some too far in front, and every one looks aimed rather than confidently tossed. The whole thing looks forced, unnatural and unpracticed. With competent RB screen and flare routes, we become better at slowing down the pass rush.

I think Ajayi can do that. Now, fingers crossed, Tannehill can develop some touch and we can add that as a staple of our offense.

Surprised we didn't at least take a look. This team has confidence in Dallas Thomas. Not sure why based upon the play I saw last year.

Ya, it's a head scratchier. By the moves made up to now I'm kinda trusting the FO is aware of the weakness and will take care of this somehow by the start of the season. Being a typical finfan I want it done yesterday.....Got to say I almost forgot what it was like to trust the moves of our FO...

Great post LDaniel7.

These are looooooong overdue stats, IMHO. Now they need to add fumbles to the INT stat, and sacks to the QB stat when he holds the ball over 4 seconds, nd deduct in completions for pressure under 3 seconds. Slowly but surely .... the QB stats are starting to become more usable.

A great post that misreads the stats and then mentions a year that hasn't even been played. yeah right.

who cares about dropped interceptions, who cares about what if stats.

he's good enough without any of that ****, and bringing those into play completely changes the relativity of a qb's success because you have to include the same stats for every other qb in the league, or it wouldn't mean a thing.

I was the one who brought up the pointless effort of using what if stats. Thanks for siding with me on this one. I was happy with Ryan's season without these what ifs and that was my main point.

But come to Ryan's rescue when he isn't even being dissed.

Great post LDaniel7.

I have to chuckle at Roy and 71 -- they still don't understand the stat. Still referencing old stats.

All good though.

Most of us can figure it out.

LD

I was the one who brought up the pointless effort of using what if stats. Thanks for siding with me on this one. I was happy with Ryan's season without these what ifs and that was my main point.

But come to Ryan's rescue when he isn't even being dissed.

I was backin you man, not "coming to ryan's rescue"

He doesn't need rescuing from some dolphin fantatics on a message board. dude just signed a 100 million $ contract and is the franchise qb of my team playing at a very high level.

quote probably came off the wrong way but was simply reiterating. everybody getting so defensive up in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom